RMJ_12

Most improved defenses 2018

Recommended Posts

Last year of course I drafted the Jaguars defense in pretty much all of my leagues(all of my league mates laughed).  It got me thinking who could be this years Jaguars defense?  Who are the most improved defenses for 2018?

 

I like the Chargers but they actually come off the board pretty quickly.  Thoughts?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Last year of course I drafted the Jaguars defense in pretty much all of my leagues(all of my league mates laughed).

 

See?  Good things happen when you listen to Axe Elf.

 

San Francisco will be the surprise this season.  Not as elite as the Jags, but start-worthy in most leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

 

See?  Good things happen when you listen to Axe Elf.

 

San Francisco will be the surprise this season.  Not as elite as the Jags, but start-worthy in most leagues.

Right.  Had nothing to do with being a Jags fan and knowing how good they were.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Right.  Had nothing to do with being a Jags fan and knowing how good they were.

 

That's probly why you listened for once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

Last year of course I drafted the Jaguars defense in pretty much all of my leagues(all of my league mates laughed).  It got me thinking who could be this years Jaguars defense?  Who are the most improved defenses for 2018?

 

I like the Chargers but they actually come off the board pretty quickly.  Thoughts?

 

You have a Jags avatar. Your homer pick works out, so you are a source on defenses?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

You have a Jags avatar. Your homer pick works out, so you are a source on defenses?

Apparently you can't read?  Where did I say anything of that nature?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Apparently you can't read?  Where did I say anything of that nature?

 

I read very well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

I read very well. 

Then it's the comprehension part

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RMJ_12 said:

Then it's the comprehension part

 

Got that down too. You really need me to break this down for you? If you just wanted to know who this year's version of the Jags were, you would have asked that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said "of course I drafted the Jaguars defense last year" (because I'm a Jaguars fan).  If that's too hard to understand then find a different thread to troll in.

 

If I was a defense expert why would I start a thread asking other people's opinions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

 

Got that down too. You really need me to break this down for you? If you just wanted to know who this year's version of the Jags were, you would have asked that. 

 

Seriously? That's the question he asked in his original post. Please, break it down, because I can clearly see the question in the first message in this thread. 

 

"...who could be this years Jaguars defense?"

 

I also don't see anywhere that he claimed to be a source on anything. Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing, or can you point specfically to what you have a problem with?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, phizzics said:

 

Seriously? That's the question he asked in his original post. Please, break it down, because I can clearly see the question in the first message in this thread. 

 

"...who could be this years Jaguars defense?"

 

I also don't see anywhere that he claimed to be a source on anything. Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing, or can you point specfically to what you have a problem with?

 

Nah I'm good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Los Angeles Rams added some pretty great pieces.  But if Aaron Donald holds out, they lose some of their shine.

 

If Bradley Chubb is as advertised, I could see Denver moving back into the top 5.

 

And the New York Giants struggled a bit in 2017, but they have the talent in the secondary to really strangle opposing passing games.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Los Angeles Rams added some pretty great pieces.  But if Aaron Donald holds out, they lose some of their shine.

 

If Bradley Chubb is as advertised, I could see Denver moving back into the top 5.

 

And the New York Giants struggled a bit in 2017, but they have the talent in the secondary to really strangle opposing passing games.

Denver and NY are good ones.  People seem to forget the Giants had a top defense in 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Rams because even though Cooper had a monumental meltdown in the postseason, he is a good returner and should get you some TDs.

 

My main sleeper is the Bears. They were a strong unit with a God awful offense and improved their CS on that side of the ball but kept Fangio. I think the needle is ticking up for them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very rarely do the same defenses finish at the top each year.  Here's a few that I think have a shot to finish top 10 that you can get for nothing in your drafts:

 

Chicago- There's essentially no weakness and they have a decent pass rush.  With an improved offense, they won't be on the field so much.  Since they play GB week 1, I'm targeting them as a backup but another team like the Ravens (vs Bills)

 

Denver- Top 5 pass rush in NFL should immediately improve the D.  In addition, the offense improved so they'll be less stress on them to carry the team

 

NY Jets- This is a longshot to be top ten but I like what's going on here.  They lack a pass rush but Williams is a stud on the D'Line, improved LB group and potentially elite secondary with the two second year players and Trumaine Johnson landing here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Packer fan the hiring of a new coordinator should make this a much better defense.  They have the pieces but we’re never able to get guys all playing together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texans  - all hands (Watt, Mercilus) back on deck, Romeo Crennel returns as D coordinator, Clowney maturing into a legit beast, underrated secondary ...  prolific offense that can put opposing teams in ketchup mode right quick - this unit can be as dominant as any in the game. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

"I like the Rams... My main sleeper is the Bears. They were a strong unit with a God awful offense and improved their CS on that side of the ball but kept Fangio. ..."

 

What you said about the Bears is a big part of it, imo. Whether a defense goes up or down is directly linked to whether the offense does. The Bucs added & if you believe that offense is going to get turned around, they could surprise. A similar situation is in Washington, I really like the group they have up front. Not a unit you'd have to invest in, but a potential streamer. Same deal, if they stay healthy & the offense plays better, look out! 

 

Personally, I experimented with DEF/ST custom scoring last year & consider it a lot more fun! In standard, the NextGen light turns green and you're credited with 10 pts for no reason at all. Which in 17-week formats equates to 160 pts for the season. As I was researching at about this time last year I noticed that Kansas City was the only DEF from the previous year to have scored more than 160 pts. With every other DEF it was about which one lost the least amount of those unearned pts. Buh-Buh Boring! I'm opting out of those formats entirely for two reasons: foremost because it blows but also because like ppr, I believe custom scoring that does away with the unearned point system and instead includes the return game is going to be the more popular setting within the next five years or so.      

 

Ever watched your DEF kick @$$ all day only to see them give up a TD & 2-pt conversion in garbage time? Right, and the 3 or 4 pts you lost were the difference? The return game is a big part of football & can be in fantasy as well. With custom scoring, you not only get the TD off a punt return, but the return yardage & also the TDs & return yardage from kickoffs as well. You can go into Monday night down by 15 or even 20 and still have a good chance! It's volatile, a real wildcard, but when you lose a David Johnson, it's a tool, a big add to what may be on the wire!

 

Eventually, it'll be in the literature, part of what's analyzed on TV, all that. But in the here & now it's this untamed & untapped volcano.... waiting to you know what! e; There's oodles of scoring options but adding the return game to DEF takes that position from something akin to the K, to RB2 to well beyond QB1 type production. I awarded league mates with a virtual trophy for starting the week's top DEF/ST & FA pickup. Common for DEF/ST was 25 pts or more & on more than one occasion the owner who was awarded one, also ended up with the other! When the NextGen light goes green over your DEF/ST, you're excited rather than wanting to see it go yellow. It's a complete reversal, DEF/ST goes from a unit that more often loses you points throughout the day to one that doesn't lose ANY points, EVER! e; Highly recommend!          

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Texans  - all hands (Watt, Mercilus) back on deck, Romeo Crennel returns as D coordinator, Clowney maturing into a legit beast, underrated secondary ...  prolific offense that can put opposing teams in ketchup mode right quick - this unit can be as dominant as any in the game. 

 

Agreed. With Watson putting opponents in ketchup mode, this DST should be a mustard.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

 

I read very well. 

I don't read so well. After reading your back & forth I looked at your Sig and thought it read "dumb3648"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

 

Agreed. With Watson putting opponents in ketchup mode, this DST should be a mustard.

 

no denying that D is gonna relish gettin' after it, opponents are in a real pickle. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Chicago D will be one of the most improved.  But people have seemed to written off the Cardinals. I don’t know how much better they’ll be, but I don’t expect them to be worse.  And, since they’ve dropped in ADP that makes them a good value.  I expect a much better offense, which should help out the D.  

 

If you end up taking a D outside of the top 10, those are good ones.

 

The Giants D is a gimme.  They were freaking horrible last year, so it’s not like they could be worse.

 

I’d rather draft the Cards though.  They lost just as much (with regards to injuries) and still played well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

I don't read so well. After reading your back & forth I looked at your Sig and thought it read "dumb3648"

 

Oh, good joke. First time I have heard it.

 

You have a joke writer? I'm in the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.