kidtwentytwo

Max Fried 2018 Outlook

11k so far tonight.

his curve is nasty.  Not sure where this came from, but cards hitters look helpless

Wow. 

What a name. 

I bet bet he ends up with a 4.20 ERA. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

11k so far tonight.

his curve is nasty.  Not sure where this came from, but cards hitters look helpless

Grabbed today as a streamer after looking at his last couple starts in AAA. Trending in the right direction.

Former top pick by Padres, 7th overall.  Had a pretty high pedigree.  TJ set him back some along the way.  Came over in Upton trade back in day.  Braves just stock piling young arms.  I didn’t get to see him toss tonight so don’t have much insight but he was on my dynasty team in 13 - 14’ based on a lot of the reports I had read on him.  

Heres a tweet after the trade went down:

pKJ9SDLG_bigger.jpg

Max Fried was among baseball's best LH pitching prospects before he blew out his elbow. @JimBowden_ESPN says he's centerpiece of Upton deal.

•  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always had the pedigree and stuff. Obv the injuries derailed him some, but lefties in general can take a bit longer to develop too.

It's a really solid 3 pitch mix for him:

-FB in the low 90s and can touch 95/96

-Change in the 82-84 MPH range with both tumble and some fade to it, needs to throw it more

-Hammer Curve that is an 11-6 type weapon and comes in at 73-76 MPH range

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Always had the pedigree and stuff. Obv the injuries derailed him some, but lefties in general can take a bit longer to develop too.

It's a really solid 3 pitch mix for him:

-FB in the low 90s and can touch 95/96

-Change in the 82-84 MPH range with both tumble and some fade to it, needs to throw it more

-Hammer Curve that is an 11-6 type weapon and comes in at 73-76 MPH range

Roughly a 10 mph drop from FB to CH? And then another 8-10 mph drop to the curve? Nice. 

He has a nice future if he can ever learn to control his pitches. 

12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Roughly a 10 mph drop from FB to CH? And then another 8-10 mph drop to the curve? Nice. 

He has a nice future if he can ever learn to control his pitches. 

Yes sir, at least that is what he displayed last night in his start...all those numbers pulled from brooksball.net

Yahoo has him listed as the probable starter at Milwaukee on Thursday, but I don't see confirmation of that anywhere else.  Are there other candidates in the Braves' organization who could conceivably get the start over him, or is it safe to add him for that start?

Edited by OaksterDan
typo + syntax

5 hours ago, OaksterDan said:

Yahoo has him listed as the probable starter at Milwaukee on Thursday, but I don't see confirmation of that anywhere else.  Are there other candidates in the Braves' organization who could conceivably get the start over him, or is it safe to add him for that start?

ESPN.com has Fried listed as the starter for Thursday

Anyone rolling him out against the Brewers? Cautiously optimistic about this start, he has obvious control issues but he was able to keep it together for the most part against the Cardinals.

1 hour ago, GC Tacos said:

Anyone rolling him out against the Brewers? Cautiously optimistic about this start, he has obvious control issues but he was able to keep it together for the most part against the Cardinals.

I am. If Freeman plays, he historically knocks around Chacin as does half the lineup. Chacin is pretty garbage so I am betting a cool 5-2 win for Atlanta unless Fried implodes; I dont think he will, he is trending in the right direction

(mil) - throws R vs. atl - 8:10 PM EDT -  

Miller

Park   RotoGuru   ESPN   MLB   Yahoo   RotoBaller   BB-Ref   FanGraphs

BATTER NP PA AB H 2B 3B HR R RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS wOBA  ISO  other site links
   L 69 14 11 5 1 0 2 4 2 3 3 0 0 .455 .571 1.091 1.662 .654 .636 RotoGuru | ESPN | MLB | Yahoo | RotoBaller |BB-Ref | FanGraphs |
   R 26 6 5 4 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 .800 .833 .800 1.633 .717 .000 RotoGuru | ESPN | MLB | Yahoo | RotoBaller |BB-Ref | FanGraphs |
   L 33 9 7 4 2 0 0 1 2 2 0 0 0 .571 .667 .857 1.524 .633 .286 RotoGuru | ESPN | MLB | Yahoo | RotoBaller |BB-Ref | FanGraphs |
   L 10 3 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .333 .333 .667 1.000 .417 .333 RotoGuru | ESPN | MLB | Yahoo | RotoBaller |BB-Ref | FanGraphs |
   S 9 3 3 1 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 .333 .333 .667 1.000 .417 .333 RotoGuru | ESPN | MLB | Yahoo | RotoBaller |BB-Ref | FanGraphs |
   L 18 6 5 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 .200 .333 .200 .533 .267 .000 RotoGuru | ESPN | MLB | Yahoo | RotoBaller |BB-Ref | FanGraphs |
   R 22 6 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000 .000 .000 RotoGuru | ESPN | MLB | Yahoo | RotoBaller |BB-Ref | FanGraphs |
   R 7 2 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000 .000 .000 RotoGuru | ESPN | MLB | Yahoo | RotoBaller |BB-Ref | FanGraphs |
Active totals for
Atlanta Braves:
194 49 42 16 5 0 2 9 6 7 4 0 0 .381 .469 .643 1.112 .476 .262
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

K2Y9PFt.gif?noredirect

NO! You rotten bums! You overpaid weenies! Mild thing, you make my butt sting! I *detest* you! You're all garbage! All of ya! Back up the truck! Back it up! 

On a serious note, I hope they don't send Fried back to the minor; I prefer to give him a chance to learn to pitch at the highest level than give McCarthy the ball again!

About as poor command as I have seen on a professional mound this year. 

His line just doesn't communicate how poorly he threw. 

Rookie pitching man. Schizophrenic. 

• Like 1

I see long relief or mop up in his future.

8 hours ago, treat88 said:

About as poor command as I have seen on a professional mound this year. 

His line just doesn't communicate how poorly he threw. 

Rookie pitching man. Schizophrenic. 

It reminded me of a Godley start. Fried’s FB has a bit more velo, and his curve is a little slower, both pitchers wild as hell. The three walks from his previous start kept me from adding him. Watching the start last night confirmed my decision. 

Braves said he's developed blister again which has been bothering him for a few years now on and off. If he can't overcome this blister issue; he will not be effective as SP. 

1 hour ago, AF25 said:

Braves said he's developed blister again which has been bothering him for a few years now on and off. If he can't overcome this blister issue; he will not be effective as SP. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

LOL, I read too much of Mark Bowman (Captain Obvious)!

There's definitely something here, if he can command his stuff enough. Seems to be completely under the radar.

A 6'4" lefty with the pitch mix and pedigree mentioned above, playing for a team on the rise who can't seem to fill out the back end of their rotation. At this point he has streamer appeal but could develop into something good if he can command his stuff. It seems like his problems come from hanging pitches that get crushed or not being able to find the plate.

Just went 5 IP against the Dodgers - 1 run, 7 Ks. He gets the Mets next, who are terrible against LHP.

His 2018 scouting grades on Fangraphs have him at Fastball 50/55, Curve 65/70, Change 50/55 and a FV of 50

Majors (20.2 IP):

3.92 ERA, 4.66 FIP, 3.57 xFIP, 3.76 bbFIP

25K:13BB, 53.2% GB rate, 12.2 SwStr%

AAA (55 IP):

3.93 ERA, 3.18 FIP, 3.42 xFIP

57K:22BB, 56.8% GB rate

Edited by MireLurker
lines up against the Mets, not the Marlins
  • Like 1

Updated numbers for the majors after last night's start... I was too quick on the draw there.

Majors (25.2 IP):

3.51 ERA | 4.30 FIP | 3.61 xFIP | 3.23 bbFIP

32K:16BB, 50% GB rate, 12.1 SwStr%

Looks like Fried got squeezed out of his start vs. NYM this week with Allard's call-up start on Tues. Folty Thurs, Gausman gets it Fri, Sat back to Teheran, Newcomb on Sunday. A shame, I was hoping to see him again, evaluate a bit more.