GC Tacos

July Closer Thread 2018

Treinen isn't going anywhere. Oakland is in the playoff race and he's under control a few more seasons. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Good call @JFS179

32 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

This didn't take long.  Good call

31 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Good call. 

23 minutes ago, Au6294tx said:

@JFS179 what numbers do I need to play in lottery.  Solid call.

It's one thing to suck and get demoted as a closer.  Happens all the time.  It's another to suck and start becoming a distraction, which when it gets to the point of cursing our your manager when you're the one that can't get the job done?  Yeah ... time to go.

Giles is at a crossroads here.  Either get your ish together and go dominate AAA and help the club down the stretch, or pack your bags and get ready to ride the bus all over the PCL.  I suspect Giles has been pissed at Hinch since Giles was CLEARLY not the trusted guy last year in the playoffs.  But you know what, Kenny?  Hinch won a World Series.  Get over yourself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Treinen isn't going anywhere. Oakland is in the playoff race and he's under control a few more seasons. 

I don't think it's likely, but they're 6 out right now of a 1-game playoff against the Yankees or Red Sox.  If someone offered them something stupid (Gleyber for Chapman), Beane should listen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I don't think it's likely, but they're 6 out right now of a 1-game playoff against the Yankees or Red Sox.  If someone offered them something stupid (Gleyber for Chapman), Beane should listen.

I don't believe anyone is truly untouchable as much as they're so incredibly valued they're not attainable from any practical standpoint (ie it would cost too much to get them). Yeah, if someone offered them an absolutely absurd package they'd definitely listen. Rightfully so. But I think that's the case with most players and teams. 

Britton, Greene, Tepera, Rodney...these are the guys that are going to get moved. I don't see any value in discussing Treinen with those guys unless/until local reports start sending up smoke. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I would add it’s a potential 1 game playoff against Sale or Severino...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Au6294tx said:

@JFS179 what numbers do I need to play in lottery.  Solid call.

1, 7, 9 could we get 4 more @JFS179

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jace Fry still next in line when Soria is traded?  He's been horrendous lately. 

Barraclough’s back to being wild since the calendar turned to July.

4 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

The Astros don't need a reliever with flashy numbers.

They have plenty of those.

They need a reliever with ice water in his veins.

Lance McCullers.

So if Alex Avila can do it why can't Cody Allen? Lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

The Astros don't need a reliever with flashy numbers.

They have plenty of those.

They need a reliever with ice water in his veins.

Rondon is pretty good.  The night before wasn't really his fault.  Giles left the majors leaving an absolute mess on the field.

Trivino with the save for Oakland. Treinen wasn't available today. This is the downside of winning 18/23 - his arm is going to fall off. He should be ready to go tomorrow but Trivino has been great for those of you in deeper leagues. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 8:15 PM, Morat said:

Jace Fry still next in line when Soria is traded?  He's been horrendous lately. 

What about Nate Jones when he come back?

51 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

The hell? Madson closing now lol

Madson is the closer?

On 7/12/2018 at 11:19 AM, KilloWertz said:

Rondon is pretty good.  The night before wasn't really his fault.  Giles left the majors leaving an absolute mess on the field.

Disagree on that.  Rondon came in with 2 guys on but a 4-1 lead to work with.   He gave up 2 base hits and had a wild pitch in there to let the game get tied up.  He earned that blown save...

1 hour ago, knuckleheads said:

Disagree on that.  Rondon came in with 2 guys on but a 4-1 lead to work with.   He gave up 2 base hits and had a wild pitch in there to let the game get tied up.  He earned that blown save...

Well, hes got some leash. Next man to push him for saves, Devenski totally blew what would have been a save opp last night.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Well, hes got some leash. Next man to push him for saves, Devenski totally blew what would have been a save opp last night.

Sure.  I wasn't suggesting he didn't have some leash only that his blown save was well earned. 

I wonder if McHugh has moved up the line at all?  He's easily pitched the best out of the pen and finally nabbed a couple of holds recently.  Perhaps the Astros will use him with leads a bit more...

Edited by knuckleheads

On 7/11/2018 at 3:52 PM, JFS179 said:

Not to get way sidetracked but i think you may be underestimating Chapman...best defensive 3B in the league.

21 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Sure.  I wasn't suggesting he didn't have some leash only that his blown save was well earned. 

I wonder if McHugh has moved up the line at all?  He's easily pitched the best out of the pen and finally nabbed a couple of holds recently.  Perhaps the Astros will use him with leads a bit more...

According to Closermonkey he has. I was kinda surprised he passed Will Harris on the pecking order.