• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
GC Tacos

July Closer Thread 2018

31 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Their stats this year were brought up. Smith's are better. I didn't list them, but I told you the ones in which Smith is superior. 

But since you asked...

ERA...Smith 1.11, Watson 1.64

WHIP...Smith 0.70, Watson 0.91

BAA...Smith .122, Watson .203

K/9...Smith 12.71, Watson 9.63

FIP...Smith 1.18, Watson 1.94

xFIP...Smith 2.59, Watson 2.75

SIERA...Smith 2.11, Watson 2.62

SwStr%...Smith 18.1, Watson 12.9

Con%...Smith 65.5, Watson 74.8. 

Smith doesn't clean the board up though. Watson has a better walk rate and a better first-pitch-strike rate. Smith induces more swings on pitches outside the zone.

I'm honestly not sure why you think comparing "their stats for this year" will show that Watson is the better pitcher. What "stats for this year" do you look to that show Watson is the better pitcher in 2018? 

Need to see the splits on who is better against both lefties and righties

This beat writer seems to think Greene may be out for a while. Not good got Jimenez’s long-term value if Greene isn’t dealt. Of course he can be dealt after. 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Need to see the splits on who is better against both lefties and righties

Go for it. The info is out there. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

So do I hold Strickland for now?

I don't own Strickland but in a regular 5X5 I would drop him if I needed the DL spot.  I certainly wouldn't burn a bench spot on him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

So do I hold Strickland for now?

Gee ... cue up the black magic 8 ball 

shake it

without a doubt

Better not tell you now

My sources tell me NO 

As a Royals fan I didn’t like the return they got for Herrera, but the injuries to Tepera and now Greene have me thinking that it might’ve been a smart move to take what you can get.

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Their stats this year were brought up. Smith's are better. I didn't list them, but I told you the ones in which Smith is superior. 

But since you asked...

ERA...Smith 1.11, Watson 1.64

WHIP...Smith 0.70, Watson 0.91

BAA...Smith .122, Watson .203

K/9...Smith 12.71, Watson 9.63

FIP...Smith 1.18, Watson 1.94

xFIP...Smith 2.59, Watson 2.75

SIERA...Smith 2.11, Watson 2.62

SwStr%...Smith 18.1, Watson 12.9

Con%...Smith 65.5, Watson 74.8. 

Smith doesn't clean the board up though. Watson has a better walk rate and a better first-pitch-strike rate. Smith induces more swings on pitches outside the zone.

I'm honestly not sure why you think comparing "their stats for this year" will show that Watson is the better pitcher. What "stats for this year" do you look to that show Watson is the better pitcher in 2018? 

Hahaha, like I said splitting hairs AND Watson has has 15 more innings pitched under his belt this year.  One blow up by Smith and his ratios would be destroyed.  I’ll go with the pitcher with the better history. Sorry. ??‍♂️

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Hahaha, like I said splitting hairs AND Watson has has 15 more innings pitched under his belt this year.  One blow up by Smith and his ratios would be destroyed.  I’ll go with the pitcher with the better history. Sorry. ??‍♂️

I think going with the guy that is gonna close would be the way to go. Watson is not closing. Its really between Melancon and Smith.

Edited by duke of queens

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I think going with the guy that is gonna close would be the way to go. Watson is not closing. Its really between Melancon and Smith.

I know that.  The whole conversation started out  with my opinion about Watson should get the nod over Smith as the Closer.  And some people bashed me because they think Smith is the better pitcher which I don’t think he is.  History doesn’t lie and this year he barely has better numbers.  So close that your splitting hairs between the 2.  We’ll see if Smith keeps the closer gig for the time being.  Time will tell.

11 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

I know that.  The whole conversation started out  with my opinion about Watson should get the nod over Smith as the Closer.  And some people bashed me because they think Smith is the better pitcher which I don’t think he is.  History doesn’t lie and this year he barely has better numbers.  So close that your splitting hairs between the 2.  We’ll see if Smith keeps the closer gig for the time being.  Time will tell.

No need to resort to hyperbole. No one has bashed you. I have simply disagreed with you and told you why. It simply is not splitting hairs to point out stats from this year to explain why Smith is better than Watson this year. And if Watson was outperforming Smith by the same margins, you'd point out that he's pitching better this year, too. Lol. 

Gun to your head Smith or Jimenez?

4 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Jimenez and it's not even close. He is the guy if Greene gets traded and is the guy if Greene is out for an extended period of time. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Both? Smith qualifies at SP in Yahoo, no reason he shouldn't be owned just for ratios and a vulture W/SV.  But gun to my head, Jimenez easy.  I don't think Smith closes for long (see my many posts in this thread about how Melancon will close the second half for the Giants).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Well done. A half hour before all the other sites report it. More confirmation that this thread is still the best source for up to the minute closer info.

Nah....twitter is.  I had added Jiminez everywhere before it was posted here.

49 minutes ago, CAT said:

Nah....twitter is.  I had added Jiminez everywhere before it was posted here.

Thanks for posting it here.

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Thanks for posting it here.

Lol.  I love these forums, but im going to make sure ive taken care of myself before i waste time posting it here.  

• Like 1

Ugh not really diggin’ my Jimenez pickup at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ToO_BaD said:

Ugh not really diggin’ my Jimenez pickup at the moment.

Me too, after the first batter I was, he's digging down deep with bases loaded 1 out though.

Ugh - to walk in the Fing tying run.  Just when you look like you might get out of it.  

whelp...  good thing there's nobody else in the detroit pen to worry about eh?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CAT said:

Lol.  I love these forums, but im going to make sure ive taken care of myself before i waste time posting it here.  

Taking care of yourself would’ve been dropping news here first and letting your league mates grab Jimenez before you. 

• Like 1

What a mess. The intentional walk of Morales with two outs was idiotic.  Then Jimenez doesn't get the call on a great pitch at 2-2 before walking in the tying run.