GC Tacos

July Closer Thread 2018

FWIW (not much 🤷🏽‍♂️), Jimenez had strike 3 on Smoak, and it was called a ball. McCann stood, but it didn’t rise as high and hit the corner. I’ll post once twitter updates.

Glad I made that pickup this morning!

2 minutes ago, vthunder said:

Buck Farmer time.  Great name

And the Buck stops there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vthunder said:

What a mess. The intentional walk of Morales with two outs was idiotic.  Then Jimenez doesn't get the call on a great pitch at 2-2 before walking in the tying run.  

It was with one out. He then got Pillar to fly out for 2 outs then very well could have got a called 3rd strike on Smoak but didn't.

• Like 1

So Oh is a no-go?

10 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Absolutely, you should pick him up. Hot commodity

Hardy har har??

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

So Oh is a no-go?

Fo sho 

• Like 1

Minter gets another one.  Viz can take his time

• Like 2

I think Minter has looked pretty impressive. I just picked him up recently and I hadn’t really watched him until last week. Paint me pleased. 

• Like 1

According to Jim Bowden, Astros are after Iglesias.  Time to grab the Reds handcuff?  

What's the deal with Ken Giles? He's been solid in save situations why doesn't he have the job?

10 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

According to Jim Bowden, Astros are after Iglesias.  Time to grab the Reds handcuff?  

Mr Hughes it is

26 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

That would be a very wise acquisition for Houston, and Iglesias owners would be pretty pleased as well.

5 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

That would be a very wise acquisition for Houston, and Iglesias owners would be pretty pleased as well.

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that Reds' pitchers Matt Harvey and Raisel Iglesias are "of interest" to the Nationals.

Heyman notes that the Nationals are in search of another starting pitcher while adding that multiple teams see Iglesias as a possible option in that regard. Iglesias hasn't pitched as a starter since 2016. The 28-year-old owns a 2.45 ERA with 16 saves and a 41/13 K/BB ratio over 36 2/3 innings this season. He's under team control through 2020. As for Harvey, he has a 3.86 ERA over 10 starts with the Reds and has been much better of late while showing increased velocity. He's due to become a free agent this offseason.

Not sure how owners Iglesias owners should feel about this possibility though.  Not sure how much I buy this rumor but that could shake things up quite a bit.

Yeah I'm not sure either.  Iglesias was always supposed to be a starter, and then ended up in the pen for the Reds.  It'd be an interesting experiment in Washington, though owners looking for saves would be SOL.

What all this smoke tells me is that it's time to get Hughes now.  Seems like a pretty likely event that Iglesias goes somewhere.

17 hours ago, turner46 said:

It was with one out. He then got Pillar to fly out for 2 outs then very well could have got a called 3rd strike on Smoak but didn't.

Got a lot of the plate on that 2 and 2 pitch and should have been out of it.  Add to that the intentional walk and he really could have had that save nailed down.  Still he hasn't been great his last 2 or 3 appearances so hopefully he can get going again.  Like right now...

1 hour ago, collucho said:

What's the deal with Ken Giles? He's been solid in save situations why doesn't he have the job?

He’s not trusted. Look at the whole package. HRondon is the guy trusted for saves on this team right now anyway.

• Like 1

I haven't been paying attention to the SF situation at all... is Will Smith the guy to own getting the last two save opps?

8 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I haven't been paying attention to the SF situation at all... is Will Smith the guy to own getting the last two save opps?

I think it's fluid, and I wouldn't be surprised by almost anything. I wouldn't be surprised if Melancon gets the job back...wouldn't be surprised if Smith runs with it...wouldn't be surprised if Watson gets a shot...wouldn't be surprised if Strickland gets it back when he returns. 

My thinking on Smith is that he's well worth a flyer because he has elite ratios, elite k/9, and it appears that Bochy is giving him a shot to at least get a few save opps while they try to figure out what to do. So whether Smith is THE guy to own or not, I think he's worth rostering. Jmho. 

• Like 1