GC Tacos

July Closer Thread 2018

24 minutes ago, beauso79 said:

Sir Anthony in 8th for some reason 

Well, Arano in the 9th dang it 

People keep wanting to force traditional roles onto a bullpen and manager that has made it painfully clear they are not going to go the traditional route. The Phillies are, and will continue to be, a closer by committee situation. Seranthony is going to get some occasional saves and will really help your ratios. He's a great addition in virtually every league setting. He is not, however, the closer. The closer role will go to varying bullpen arms. This is what the management team wants to do. This is what the management team has been doing. This has been working. There's no reason to think it will change.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beakman said:

Vizcaino in the 8th for the Braves!

I think they're just getting him some work/easing him back in. They're up 5-1 so it's definitely not a clear blowout or just get work in type situation. 

Norris looking awesome. I was dead wrong about that guy this year.

Phillies broadcasters said they thought the arano move had to do with how pirates hitters did versus slider versus curveball

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, David Aames said:

Minter with 3 ks hmmmm lets talk about this. 

It's definitely interesting and something we should pay attention to, but I think it's similar to Milwaukee. Knebel was slowly given the role back. Assuming Vizcaino keeps looking good in his opportunities I see no reason they wouldn't give him his closer spot back. 

Of course if he falters at all and Minter keeps looking great, all bets are off.

situation could be a little different since minter is viewed as the closer of the future

• Like 1

Chapman's been dealing with knee tendinitis for a few weeks now. My guess is that's what the issue is. Betances has clearly passed Robertson in the pecking order these last few weeks so I think he's the immediate grab in the few leagues he's not already owned. 

Chapman strikes out first batter of the ninth, then pulled for undisclosed reason

would it be betances and not robertson? didnt robertson close when chap was out last time?

2 minutes ago, David Aames said:

would it be betances and not robertson? didnt robertson close when chap was out last time?

Betances got double-digit saves last year when Chap went down, but I'm not sure if that was before or after Robertson was traded to NYY. 

Boone speaking right now. He makes it sound like its just precautionary 

• Like 1

Seranthony to get 2/3(or slightly more)of save opps, seem about right? 

1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

Seranthony to get 2/3(or slightly more)of save opps, seem about right? 

Seems like that might be the case, not something I'm a fan of. Or maybe he'll be used in the most critical situations, if it's the 7/8/9th and they need their best RP out comes Seranthony. Hopefully in all routine SV situations he's out there though. I don't get to see PHI games, so not sure if Ser was direly needed in the 8th tonight to give them the best chance to win. If that's the case it cost fantasy owners a save, but I have no problems with it. If they have a dominator like him, it's handy to be able to use him in the situations that matter the most.

I know other teams with great closers would like to do the same, but not all closers are willing. Boston wanted to be able to use Kimbrel in such a way and he apparently wasn't having it heh. Someone like Seranthony with much less service time isn't going to have the same bargaining power when he's used. I think he'll get plenty of opportunities and rack up a bunch of SV/K's and great ratio. 

Blake Parker pitched the 8th yesterday in a game they were losing. He had also pitched the day before (top 9 of tie game, got the W). 

It was a 1-run game, and he faced Turner, Bellinger, Kemp, so one could assume they were trying to stay within striking distance and wanted him against the meat of the lineup. But anyone think there’s anything to see here? 

Shane Greene will be back this coming week. Out is JJ. Tigers will want to throw Greene to prove he's healthy so they can trade him him

Apparently Doolittle had a "precautionary" MRI on a sore foot.  Nothing to see here.....?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, CAT said:

Apparently Doolittle had a "precautionary" MRI on a sore foot.  Nothing to see here.....?

Pretty expensive test to do just for ***** and giggles. Worth monitoring at the least. 

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 1

I was watching the Phillies game yesterday. Pirates had runners at 2nd and 3rd. Dominguez spot in the lineup was on deck. Hurdle decided to put Alfaro on with a free pass after Vazquez fell behind 2-0. Diminguez was at 19 pitches, so it made sense to pinch hit for him. I don’t know if Kapler was planning on him pitching the 9th. You can’t blame his logic since the Pirates best hitters (Marte,

Polanco,Moran) were due up in the 8th. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

Pretty expensive test to do just for ***** and giggles. Worth monitoring at the least. 

Expensive for the average person.  Not so much for the Nats, who more than likely have their own MRI.

35 minutes ago, CAT said:

Expensive for the average person.  Not so much for the Nats, who more than likely have their own MRI.

I'm sure. And the threshold for one is likely much lower given they're protecting a multi-million dollar asset. Still, it's not usually a test done lightly, pro athlete or not. Not worth panicking over yet but certainly worth monitoring. 

• Like 1