GC Tacos

July Closer Thread 2018

1 hour ago, fletch44 said:

The Angels haven't had a lot of save opps recently. Is Parker still the guy to own in that pen ? He hasn't pitched great and his usage has been all over the place.  Then again, that sums up about everyone in that bullpen.

My guess is he's in a different uniform by the time we find out. 

4 minutes ago, Heisenberg90 said:

Minter or Brach in Atlanta?

Minter. He's done nothing to lose the job and what kind of message does it send to the team, Minter especially, if they move him from the role after performing well when called upon? I know Minter is a lefty and Brach is the righty but they already have other lefties to use for matchups. Biddle has been really good this year so I don't see the need to move Minter from the closers role for that reason. They also have Venters and Freeman for L/L matchups. 

3 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Minter. He's done nothing to lose the job and what kind of message does it send to the team, Minter especially, if they move him from the role after performing well when called upon? I know Minter is a lefty and Brach is the righty but they already have other lefties to use for matchups. Biddle has been really good this year so I don't see the need to move Minter from the closers role for that reason. They also have Venters and Freeman for L/L matchups. 

All this and plus the most important thing. Brach is terrible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brachs actually not terrible pretty good career numbers. Pitching in the al east is tough wouldnt be that surprising for him to pick up saves for the Braves.

Swarzak the guy to own in the Mets bullpen? Seems like a light turned on since he was thrown into the 9th and he's been dominant. Only a handful of innings, but it's night and day to what he was doing prior

Just now, street sharks said:

Swarzak the guy to own in the Mets bullpen? Seems like a light turned on since he was thrown into the 9th and he's been dominant. Only a handful of innings, but it's night and day to what he was doing prior

If he we're available that's who I would own. I think he gets the majority of opps unless he starts blowing it. I'm not expecting him to be dominant but he certainly is a valuable add right now. 

• Thanks 1

Cody Carroll could be the guy to own in Baltimore especially with Givens possibly on the way out.  I don't think Wright has the juice to do it.

With Barraclough and Ziegler on the trading block for the Marlins, any thoughts on who may be the closer if they both are traded?

2 minutes ago, rschroeder1 said:

With Barraclough and Ziegler on the trading block for the Marlins, any thoughts on who may be the closer if they both are traded?

Steckenrider...if he doesn't get traded. 

• Like 2

This Jace Fry...

First he pitches in the 7th. Then he lays a big deuce.

Only thing he's frying is my team's ratios.

That CHW pen is a dumpster's fire.

There are so many rumors surrounding multiple pens where other teams are interested in a handful of guys from the same bullpen. This is making it very difficult to gauge who is the good hold leading up to tomorrows deadline. Here are some examples. 

MIA - Barraclough, Ziegler, and Steckenrider all drawing interest but I have seen Ziegler and Steck in rumors a lot more than I have Barraclough recently.

SD - Yates and Stammen generating interest. Maton is a guy to keep an eye on if both get dealt but I feel that's unlikely. Yates getting dealt also seems unlikely due to his cost. I honestly think this bullpen doesn't change.

TEX - Kela, Diekman, and Leclerc all drawing interest though I have seen Leclerc's name in rumors less than I have the other two. Leclerc will likely cost too much for teams which is probably why his name hasn't really been linked to many rumors. If Kela is dealt, which seems like one of the more likely relievers on the market to go, I personally think Leclerc is the guy based on his better numbers. Talks of both Kela and Diekman being moved makes Leclerc a good hold right now. 

STL - Rumors of Norris drawing interest. Hicks is the guy if that happens but there's also talk of them playing both sides (sellers & buyers) so who knows what happens here. 

TOR - Osuna drawing a lot of interest and they're really trying to move him. I personally think teams stay away from him due to his legal battle currently ongoing.

MIN - Rodney has drawn interest and if he goes Hildenberger has been talked about as the next in line. I think teams might value Rodney more than people think given his relatively low cost and his experience.

DET - nobody has been talking about Greene moving but one of the hottest guys people have held for much of the year is Jimenez. With lack of rumors surroiunding Greene and his mediocre numbers I don't see anything happening here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Man I hope Detroit moves Greene, so I can cut him.  Tired of holding two mediocre relievers on a bad team.  

Edited by vthunder

You're unfortunately probably right on Greene, although something could pop up out of nowhere by the deadline tomorrow.  If not, that would be a shame since Jimenez is probably the best one out of the group of people that would take over as his team's closer, as most of the guys that would step in on their teams suck (no need to sugar coat it really).

4 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

Brachs actually not terrible pretty good career numbers. Pitching in the al east is tough wouldnt be that surprising for him to pick up saves for the Braves.

Pitching in that division is not an excuse for Brach's disgusting season.  He's been good in the past, so again I'm not going to sugar coat it.  He's just pitched like crap this season with no positive regression in sight.  There's nothing wrong with Atlanta taking a chance on him, but I sure as hell wouldn't in fantasy baseball.

43 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Steckenrider...if he doesn't get traded. 

I added Tayron Guerrero in a NL only league, 54 k in 40 ip.  Control is his problem though, if he can get it over the plate more I like his stuff.

21 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

With Brach gone does Givens definitely get the first crack in Baltimore?

No doubt. Not sure it's worth raping my ERA

27 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

There are so many rumors surrounding multiple pens where other teams are interested in a handful of guys from the same bullpen. This is making it very difficult to gauge who is the good hold leading up to tomorrows deadline. Here are some examples. 

MIA - Barraclough, Ziegler, and Steckenrider all drawing interest but I have seen Ziegler and Steck in rumors a lot more than I have Barraclough recently.

SD - Yates and Stammen generating interest. Maton is a guy to keep an eye on if both get dealt but I feel that's unlikely. Yates getting dealt also seems unlikely due to his cost. I honestly think this bullpen doesn't change.

TEX - Kela, Diekman, and Leclerc all drawing interest though I have seen Leclerc's name in rumors less than I have the other two. Leclerc will likely cost too much for teams which is probably why his name hasn't really been linked to many rumors. If Kela is dealt, which seems like one of the more likely relievers on the market to go, I personally think Leclerc is the guy based on his better numbers. Talks of both Kela and Diekman being moved makes Leclerc a good hold right now. 

STL - Rumors of Norris drawing interest. Hicks is the guy if that happens but there's also talk of them playing both sides (sellers & buyers) so who knows what happens here. 

TOR - Osuna drawing a lot of interest and they're really trying to move him. I personally think teams stay away from him due to his legal battle currently ongoing.

MIN - Rodney has drawn interest and if he goes Hildenberger has been talked about as the next in line. I think teams might value Rodney more than people think given his relatively low cost and his experience.

DET - nobody has been talking about Greene moving but one of the hottest guys people have held for much of the year is Jimenez. With lack of rumors surroiunding Greene and his mediocre numbers I don't see anything happening here. 

Rodney has a cheap option on his contract for next year, Twins may just keep him.

• Thanks 1

Astros aquire Osuna.

Just now, CAT said:

Astros aquire Osuna.

Wow. I will never understand selling a player at his lowest possible value point. I totally understand how you may want to rid your organization of certain behaviour, but for the business it's awful asset management. 

While I guess it's not certain yet, I'm guessing Rondon gets screwed over again.  Great...