GC Tacos

July Closer Thread 2018

For all you Swarzak doubters.... Mets announcers praised Swarzak during his last outing.  Said his fastball was back. I remember seeing 95 regularly. They said his command has improved.  Wish I paid more attention and could quote exactly.  Someone should verify this with fangraphs, brooks etc. 

• Like 2

Greene with another save but man this guy gives up so many runs while doing so. Leadoff triple, got a line out, then a sac fly and struck out Gennett to end it. I’m bitter as a Jimenez owner haha. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Morat said:

For all you Swarzak doubters.... Mets announcers praised Swarzak during his last outing.  Said his fastball was back. I remember seeing 95 regularly. They said his command has improved.  Wish I paid more attention and could quote exactly.  Someone should verify this with fangraphs, brooks etc. 

In Pitt game, 95 regularly, couple at 96, couple of nice 86 sliders. Last 2 pitches against Diaz where 86 slider (made Diaz look silly with swinging K), and 96 perfectly placed fastball for strike 3 that Diaz could only watch, for the save.  Announcer said, "seems to have flipped a switch in that outing against SD on Wednesday.  It's what the Mets were expecting all year from Swarzak...   Oblique suffered in first week of season....  May be just hitting his stride.  This is the Swarzak the Mets thought they were getting when they signed him"

In SD game 9th inning, announcer stated, "this is by any account the best Swarzak has looked all year long. Break on his slider, pop on his fastball..."

Per NY TImes article,  https://nypost.com/2018/07/29/mets-reliever-finding-himself-amidst-audition-for-closers-role/

In the midst of a miserable first season with the Mets, which began with Swarzak missing more than two months with an oblique injury, the right-hander has been re-energized by the closing chances.

“I love it. I absolutely love it,” said Swarzak, who lowered his ERA from 7.56 to 6.30 in the past week. “I don’t know how to explain it. It’s like this ache inside of my body that just makes me want to put the ball by somebody. I don’t know, but I get goose bumps. … Situations have a lot to do with it. A one-run game, on the road, the ninth inning, being able to take the adrenaline out of the crowd, it’s a pretty powerful feeling.

Swarzak and Callaway both are confident the recent results will continue, citing timing and arm position issues that have been corrected by pitching coach Dave Eiland. “When [Eiland] said it, I was already feeling it, but I didn’t know how to fix it. That’s the great thing about having a great pitching coach,” Swarzak said. “We made changes to get me back to what I was doing. I found my rhythm and that was it. I think getting healthier and getting stronger over the last month, getting the innings, I think that had a lot to do with it. And this is the end result.”

Edited by Southcoast57
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Jeffress warming up for 9th inning save opp. tonight instead of Knebel 

Knebel unavailable due to usage?

Knebel has been really average lately .. i think they just went with the hot hand (jeffress) vs the middle of the dodgers lineup tonight .. 

Knebel pitched last night, and before that on the 27th, so it's not usage unless he had a high pitch count last night. Anybody know how many he threw?

Just now, street sharks said:

Knebel pitched last night, and before that on the 27th, so it's not usage unless he had a high pitch count last night. Anybody know how many he threw?

He's becoming the Brewers version of Ken Giles.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, street sharks said:

39 minutes ago, Southcoast57 said:

In Pitt game, 95 regularly, couple at 96, couple of nice 86 sliders. Last 2 pitches against Diaz where 86 slider (made Diaz look silly with swinging K), and 96 perfectly placed fastball for strike 3 that Diaz could only watch, for the save.  Announcer said, "seems to have flipped a switch in that outing against SD on Wednesday.  It's what the Mets were expecting all year from Swarzak...   Oblique suffered in first week of season....  May be just hitting his stride.  This is the Swarzak the Mets thought they were getting when they signed him"

In SD game 9th inning, announcer stated, "this is by any account the best Swarzak has looked all year long. Break on his slider, pop on his fastball..."

Per NY TImes article,  https://nypost.com/2018/07/29/mets-reliever-finding-himself-amidst-audition-for-closers-role/

In the midst of a miserable first season with the Mets, which began with Swarzak missing more than two months with an oblique injury, the right-hander has been re-energized by the closing chances.

“I love it. I absolutely love it,” said Swarzak, who lowered his ERA from 7.56 to 6.30 in the past week. “I don’t know how to explain it. It’s like this ache inside of my body that just makes me want to put the ball by somebody. I don’t know, but I get goose bumps. … Situations have a lot to do with it. A one-run game, on the road, the ninth inning, being able to take the adrenaline out of the crowd, it’s a pretty powerful feeling.

Swarzak and Callaway both are confident the recent results will continue, citing timing and arm position issues that have been corrected by pitching coach Dave Eiland. “When [Eiland] said it, I was already feeling it, but I didn’t know how to fix it. That’s the great thing about having a great pitching coach,” Swarzak said. “We made changes to get me back to what I was doing. I found my rhythm and that was it. I think getting healthier and getting stronger over the last month, getting the innings, I think that had a lot to do with it. And this is the end result.”

Swarzak and Callaway are both confident it will continue...That is like the Captain and First officer of the Titanic being confident the ship is not going to sink imo lol.  Means nothing.  Maybe Swarzak got his head out of his rear end, but I would not want to bet a fantasy title on having to hope that is the case, but that is me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Unoslacker said:

Does Sean Doolittle really not have his own thread? Anyway, found this tonight...doesn’t sound too promising.

http://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2018/07/updates-on-doolittle-and-strasburg.html

What sort of logic is this?  That means he hasn't progressed at all despite having three weeks of rest.

“My understanding is that not being worse and being the same is probably a good thing,” Martinez said. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

Texas closer situation is going to be trash bin now.

You are saying this because???  If you own Leclerc you are feeling pretty hopeful right now...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, knuckleheads said:

You are saying this because???  If you own Leclerc you are feeling pretty hopeful right now...

Yup...If Kela can get saves in Tex I see no reason Leclerc cannot.  Not a whole lot changed there imo in that respect.  It is not like they are the Mets or CHW or Baltimore wrt the closing situation imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southcoast57 said:

In the midst of a miserable first season with the Mets, which began with Swarzak missing more than two months with an oblique injury,

Not going to quote all of this post but...

Hell of a post man,  hell of a post.  Nice work and welcome to the boards.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

He's becoming the Brewers version of Ken Giles.

As long as Knebel doesn’t start punching himself in the face or telling Counsell “F YOU” we should be good....?

The Brewers over-used Knebel last year. I owned him last year and that was something I noticed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unoslacker said:

As long as Knebel doesn’t start punching himself in the face or telling Counsell “F YOU” we should be good....?

Or punching his pitching hand against a door and breaking it lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Does Fry's usage today indicate that he's no longer the closer after his epic blowup on Sunday?

I don't think it necessarily indicates that. Pitching the top of the 9th down a run or two is often the closer's duty since there's not going to be a save situation. And he struck out the side to boot.

7 hours ago, DJSatane said:

Texas closer situation is going to be trash bin now.

In what sense ? It seems less murky than others. It's LeClerc. The walks scare me from touting him too much but on a whole he's been quite good this year.

Edited by fletch44
  • Like 1

Wil Smith 3 days, 2 saves and a win while looking beastly

dont see him giving that job away

• Like 1

He was dropped in one of my leagues and i paid a whopping 21 faab dolars to get him.  Why drop over a 2 week stretch where lack of save opps is not his fault.

Herrera has been kinda s--- as a Nat. Might move on if something better appears in the FA pool.