GC Tacos

July Closer Thread 2018

First time seeing Parker, god damn his delivery is annoying...But job done

• Like 2

1 minute ago, David Aames said:

giles in for the save....anyone know if rondon wasnt avail?

Ton of pitches yesterday. Likely unavailable.

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

Ton of pitches yesterday. Likely unavailable.

Man i hope so

The Phillies have now had EIGHT different pitchers record a save by July 4th. That has to be some kind of record.

• Haha 1

Bud Norris had soreness in his right index finger last night. Something to keep an eye on.

2 minutes ago, Spuds said:

Bud Norris had soreness in his right index finger last night. Something to keep an eye on.

Hicks or Holland? 

1 minute ago, 9703 said:

Hicks or Holland? 

Brebbia was warming up just in case. I would think Hicks is still next in line though.

The Royals claimed Enny Romero off waivers today and their bullpen is so bad that I feel like he’ll end up getting some saves this year. Lefty who throws 98+.

7 minutes ago, 9703 said:

The Royals claimed Enny Romero off waivers today and their bullpen is so bad that I feel like he’ll end up getting some saves this year. Lefty who throws 98+.

The Royals don't get enough save opportunities. 

Only 25 wins so far out of 86 games and they will probably trade away some players making it tough to roster their RP's going forward.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Only 25 wins so far out of 86 games and they will probably trade away some players making it tough to roster their RP's going forward.

Oooh this again. Fun!

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

Oooh this again. Fun!

Seriously.  Can we go one month without this nonsense

28 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

The Royals are a major league baseball team and have the potential to win a game between now and the end of the season in which a closing situation is in play. As such any and all pitchers on their roster who could be given that closing opportunity are relevant to discussions taking place in this thread. Your threshold for determining a player's relevance is not the same as every other forum members'. Wily Peralta's two saves last week earned plenty of his owners a win in the save column for that matchup. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

The Royals are a major league baseball team and have the potential to win a game between now and the end of the season in which a closing situation is in play. As such any and all pitchers on their roster who could be given that closing opportunity are relevant to discussions taking place in this thread. Your threshold for determining a player's relevance is not the same as every other forum members'. Wily Peralta's two saves last week earned plenty of his owners a win in the save column for that matchup. 

Just saying it's not a good situation and they don't have an established closer.   

The Royals are trying to find somebody to close in what would be inconsistent opportunities going forward. 

It's not a situation I like but I realize some people who are desperate will always take chances trying to find gold.  

57 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Seriously.  Can we go one month without this nonsense

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/more-about-bad-teams-and-saves/

I concur BUT while we're on the subject....

As noted from this article, winning percentage constitutes only about 8.6% of the variance in save opportunities. Basically it's better to focus on finding someone who will convert their opportunities than stressing about "how many they'll get" because you can't really predict that very well. Bad teams don't win as much but when they do it's closer. Good teams win more but have winning margins greater than three runs more often.

Edited by ktierne3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 saves for a guy who was pretty much in the mid to lower tiers this year, before the all-star break

he has as many saves this year as all of 2017 already

KRod's record is clearly in sight

Edited by Golden Spikes

Just looking at places in which Britton could go and be given the closer role. Of course...just looking at contending teams....I've got Philly and Zona. I could see Philly wanting to move Seranthony back to the fireman role. I also get the feeling that Zona isn't very happy with Box and I think they could use some more pen help.

1 minute ago, codog24 said:

Just looking at places in which Britton could go and be given the closer role. Of course...just looking at contending teams....I've got Philly and Zona. I could see Philly wanting to move Seranthony back to the fireman role. I also get the feeling that Zona isn't very happy with Box and I think they could use some more pen help.

No insight to the Phillies going ons, but that just seems like a terrible move for them. They have finally finally gotten rid of all those terrible contracts and rebuilt their farm system to develop a young team that can stick around for a while. Shipping away some of those prospects for a rental on a guy coming off of major arm surgery in a year that likely isn't going to lead to all that much just seems like a terrible decision.

• Like 1

Is Diaz now in the company of Kimbrel, Chapman and Jansen as an elite closer?

4 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I say yes, but to be honest, only the test of time can answer this question.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

This year yes. For the future only time will tell. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ktierne3 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/more-about-bad-teams-and-saves/

I concur BUT while we're on the subject....

As noted from this article, winning percentage constitutes only about 8.6% of the variance in save opportunities. Basically it's better to focus on finding someone who will convert their opportunities than stressing about "how many they'll get" because you can't really predict that very well. Bad teams don't win as much but when they do it's closer. Good teams win more but have winning margins greater than three runs more often.

Excellent post . I know in two of my leagues the saves cat. very close and the handful of saves any KC closer gets could be the deciding factor in winning a league .

• Thanks 1