Sign in to follow this  
Halo Fan

Dodgers Farm System 2018

The Dodgers have one of the better/deeper farm systems in baseball. With the trade deadline coming up, even though they have claimed they want to stay under the luxury tax threshold, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make some type of deals that involve some of their minor league players. Everyone has been talking about them possibly pursuing Machado, and now they are supposedly discussing relievers with the Marlins. The Orioles and Marlins are teams in a position to give young players a chance very soon.  That being said, who would you rank as the Dodgers top 10 minor leaguers for fantasy?

I think in any deal for Machado, the O's would like try and pry away Keibert Ruiz.  If they can't land him, then they may try and possibly centre it around Will Smith and/or Gavin Lux.  Even though Machado's an FA at the end of the year, the O's likely aren't just giving him away without trying to get a decent haul.  They may also try and target a younger guy like Starling Heredia that still has a lot of question marks, but could develop into a good piece for them down the road, or similarly someone like Mitchell White, who has really struggled this year.

Perhaps something like: Will Smith or Gavin Lux plus Starling Heredia and Brock Stewart.  Maybe that's too much considering Machado's an FA, but he would be a difference maker for the Dodgers down the stretch (and possibly the playoffs).

I'm taking out Walker Buehler, since he seems to be a fixture in the rotation moving forward.  As for top fantasy guys in the system, from my end:

Keibert Ruiz

Yusniel Diaz

Alex Verdugo (*especially in an OBP league)

Will Smith

Edwin Rios

Gavin Lux

Cristian Santana

Yadier Alvarez (*has really struggled at AA, walking more than a batter an inning before getting injured, which was similar to last year)

Jeren Kendall (*has struggled, but does have a chance at power/speed combo)

Starling Heredia (*has been striking out way too much, but has the offensive upside if it all comes together. Fantasy lottery ticket, but so many like him)

***I don't know any guys from their 2018 MLB draft, so that could factor into the above as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I like a lot of them at the same time, they play in very hitter friendly parks.  It's hard sometimes to objectively rate them.  Still, yes I'd rate them inside the top 10.

I do think Lux and Smith would be a solid return for Machado... plus some change.

Edited by I like baseball

I'd be shocked if edwin rios is not involved in a potential Machado deal. He's been joked about being a future Oriole for a long time.

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'd be shocked if edwin rios is not involved in a potential Machado deal. He's been joked about being a future Oriole for a long time.

Absolutely could be in a deal.  He could DH, I guess, or they could put Davis at DH.  The O's are sitting on Davis' contract for the next 4-5 years, which is really hurting them.

Posted (edited)

Which of their minor leaguers would you think are most likely to be traded in a deadline deal? Who's untouchable?

Edited by Halo Fan

44 minutes ago, Halo Fan said:

Which of their minor leaguers would you think are most likely to be traded in a deadline deal? Who's untouchable?

Id assume they dont give up Keibert. Can't see how anyone else is untouchable. I feel like Yunsiel might be undervalued so the Dodgers wont just throw him in, but who know.

• Thanks 1

I'm with @brockpapersizer no one should be untouchable if they think they can win-now.  Most likely to be traded? Really difficult, because teams genuinely have different thoughts on guys.  Obviously the Dodgers want to give as few top guys as possible, but the way Prospect Sites evaluate talent or rank guys doesn't always jive with how an organization may look at it or how the Dodgers themselves view their guys.  I do think Gavin Lux and Edwin Rios are certainly in play.  Since Lux is likely going to stick at SS and the Dodgers already have a cornerstone guy there in Seager, I suspect he is more available than maybe a guy like Ruiz.

• Thanks 1

Mitch White not even cracking the top 10 LAD prospects list? I get that's he spent a good portion of the year hurt but he's got some great upside.

I read (on maybe mlbtraderumors?) that Baltimore is looking at Dustin May as one of the primary pieces in a potential Machado deal.  Obviously BAL should be getting more back but that may be a starting point prospect wise.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:20 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I have not heard Rios at all in Machado rumors.  The Orioles have Chris Davis' contract for four more years after 2022 stuck at 1B.  Mark Trumbo is signed thru 2019 although he has been decent enough that possibly they can find someone to take him off their hands.  They also have Trey Mancini who belongs at 1B or DH. 

Edwin Rios does not seem like a fit for the Orioles although from my dynasty team perspective, I would love from to be playing regularly in Camden Yards.  

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎02 at 11:01 AM, BigPapi44 said:

I think in any deal for Machado, the O's would like try and pry away Keibert Ruiz.  If they can't land him, then they may try and possibly centre it around Will Smith and/or Gavin Lux.  Even though Machado's an FA at the end of the year, the O's likely aren't just giving him away without trying to get a decent haul.  They may also try and target a younger guy like Starling Heredia that still has a lot of question marks, but could develop into a good piece for them down the road, or similarly someone like Mitchell White, who has really struggled this year.

Perhaps something like: Will Smith or Gavin Lux plus Starling Heredia and Brock Stewart.  Maybe that's too much considering Machado's an FA, but he would be a difference maker for the Dodgers down the stretch (and possibly the playoffs).

I'm taking out Walker Buehler, since he seems to be a fixture in the rotation moving forward.  As for top fantasy guys in the system, from my end:

Keibert Ruiz

Yusniel Diaz

Alex Verdugo (*especially in an OBP league)

Will Smith

Edwin Rios

Gavin Lux

Cristian Santana

Yadier Alvarez (*has really struggled at AA, walking more than a batter an inning before getting injured, which was similar to last year)

Jeren Kendall (*has struggled, but does have a chance at power/speed combo)

Starling Heredia (*has been striking out way too much, but has the offensive upside if it all comes together. Fantasy lottery ticket, but so many like him)

***I don't know any guys from their 2018 MLB draft, so that could factor into the above as well.

Per the reports, as believed Ruiz is the number one target of the O's in any deal for Machado.  I suspect if Ruiz is the 'guy' then the secondary pieces will not be top guys, but as the report also suggests guys like May, not great but decent upside, could fill out the rest of the package.

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

Per the reports, as believed Ruiz is the number one target of the O's in any deal for Machado.  I suspect if Ruiz is the 'guy' then the secondary pieces will not be top guys, but as the report also suggests guys like May, not great but decent upside, could fill out the rest of the package.

MLB Trade Rumors reports that Morosi says the Dodgers are unlikely to include Buehler, Verdugo, or Ruiz in a trade for a rental player.

4 hours ago, Halo Fan said:

MLB Trade Rumors reports that Morosi says the Dodgers are unlikely to include Buehler, Verdugo, or Ruiz in a trade for a rental player.

I get Buehler, but seriously, when you have a chance to win worrying about guys like Verdugo or Ruiz and what they 'might be' is really annoying if I were a contending team and had a legit chance to win.  What are you waiting/hoping for that these guys might turn into good players in 3-4 years time.  At that point, who knows where Kershaw is, what the health of the team might be, what the division looks like.  Go for it with no regrets.

• Like 1