• Announcements

• tonycpsu

Comments on New Forum Design (UPDATED with workarounds)   02/12/2019

We are aware that the current layout of the Rotoworld forums is not going over well, and we feel your pain.  Please direct any comments about the new look of the forums to help@rotoworld.com, or to this thread. For those who are able to install user styles, (e.g. with the Stylish addon for Firefox or Chrome), you may wish to try a couple of user-created alternative styles. RW Forums Tweaks by tonycpsu Rotoworld Forums Dark Mode by sngehl01  
J.T. Marlin

Kevin Love 2018-19 Season Outlook

If he stays in CLE does Love become a top 20 pick again?  His usage will have to go way up.  I highly doubt we see the peak MIN Love (top 10 player) but maybe he can split the difference between the MIN and CLE Love, which makes him a top 20ish player.  Interesting guy to follow this off-season.

• Like 3

Top 20 could potentially be a safe estimate. He could be top 15/fringe first rounder I think if he gets high usage. It’s too bad he’s about to be 30 as the stretch 4s/5s are becoming so valuable in today’s NBA. Cleveland is saying they’re keeping him but I would guess they’re saying that to try to improve his trade value. I think he’ll have plenty of suitors but maybe a deal doesn’t happen until halfway through the season. 

23 minutes ago, AndreSplash said:

Top 20 could potentially be a safe estimate. He could be top 15/fringe first rounder I think if he gets high usage. It’s too bad he’s about to be 30 as the stretch 4s/5s are becoming so valuable in today’s NBA. Cleveland is saying they’re keeping him but I would guess they’re saying that to try to improve his trade value. I think he’ll have plenty of suitors but maybe a deal doesn’t happen until halfway through the season. 

The CLE cap situation is so bad though for the next 2 years that it makes sense for this team to use their veterans (Love, TThompson, GHill, Clarkson, Nance, JR Smith, Korver) and try to compete for the playoffs, while also handing the PG reigns over to Sexton and watching him develop.  After the 19-20 season, CLE will have ultimate cap flexibility.

How good is this Cavaliers team now?

Are they the 20 win team sans LeBron everyone said they were?

Or could an unleashed Kevin Love, surrounded by a mix of young talent and veterans, make some noise?

He can give you 1st round value easily. He logged 18/11 under James and Irving and this is already 2nd round value. Being traded or injured is the real threat.

• Confused 1

With Love now signing his (surprising) near-max extension with the Cavs, what are expectations for him? His game is a bit different since he left Minnesota in terms of shooting more threes and he hasn’t had to be much of a facilator with LeBron around. Does his efficiency dip or does he look to score inside again more?

I think he goes back to being a post scorer. With Lebron he needed to be a 3 point shooter on the drives and when Lebron draws the double. Since there is no one of Lebron caliber on that roster and no one on that roster who can draw the double team, if Lue is smart he’ll effectively bring out Timberwolves Love. The team is a bunch of shooters (Smith, Korver, Hill (old), Clarkson, Hood)

• Thanks 1

Love should post his best fantasy season since 13-14 but the question is - how close to those numbers or that value does he come?  His usage will go up (from a low 20's guy to a high 20's guy).  Will be very interesting to see where his ADP trends to with this news (probably an early 2nd rd pick). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Love should post his best fantasy season since 13-14 but the question is - how close to those numbers or that value does he come?  His usage will go up (from a low 20's guy to a high 20's guy).  Will be very interesting to see where his ADP trends to with this news (probably an early 2nd rd pick). 

One more important question is... will he be healthy ? 

I wouldn't bet on it. .. 

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

Can they still trade Love? I thought the Cavs were shopping him and was trying to make Nance the future piece along with Sexton and maybe Clarkson.

4 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

Is Larry Nance just the backup now? Or can they play together?

This will be interesting to see. Thompson is still around but hopefully they don’t play him much. I feel like Nance can play modern day C. Love said he felt out of position playing the C this year. I think the question is, can Nance protect the rim enough to start at C?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndreSplash said:

This will be interesting to see. Thompson is still around but hopefully they don’t play him much. I feel like Nance can play modern day C. Love said he felt out of position playing the C this year. I think the question is, can Nance protect the rim enough to start at C?

Well Thompson is no shot blockers himself, however he is good at getting extra possessions. Nance is better at switches and guarding outside the paint than Thompson.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Can they still trade Love? I thought the Cavs were shopping him and was trying to make Nance the future piece along with Sexton and maybe Clarkson.

Gilbert is a child and is willing to do everything he possibly can to spite Lebron and win a championship without him, so I don't think Love is going anywhere until they have no choice but to rebuild. 

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

Is Larry Nance just the backup now? Or can they play together?

Nance can defend inside and out, and Love can shoot. Love is always going to be a problem in the playoffs because he can't defend anything, and Nance needs to play center (like he did 80+% of the time) because he can't shoot, but... 

Tl;dr yes, they can play together

Also, Thompson was there in part because he and Lebron share an agent. Nance outrebounded him in Cleveland per minute and is also better at every other aspect of basketball than Tristan is. If they're smart, Tristan will come off the bench. 

Edited by miasma16

1 hour ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

They can still trade him at some point in the future, but he's not going to be traded any time soon..... Cleveland can't really tear it down until 2020 anyway so this gives them some stability and a core guy to play through.  Minnesota was terrible with Love as their best player, so the Cavs won't be a very good team but they can get rid of a ton of their bad win-now contracts in 2020 like Hill, Smith, and look to trade guys like TT and Clarkson.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Nance can defend inside and out, and Love can shoot. Love is always going to be a problem in the playoffs because he can't defend anything, and Nance needs to play center (like he did 80+% of the time) because he can't shoot, but... 

Tl;dr yes, they can play together

Also, Thompson was there in part because he and Lebron share an agent. Nance outrebounded him in Cleveland per minute and is also better at every other aspect of basketball than Tristan is. If they're smart, Tristan will come off the bench. 

Good thing we won't have to worry about playoffs for a while....

• Haha 1

Just now, thezing1 said:

Good thing we won't have to worry about playoffs for a while....

Point is that anybody can play together in the regular season, coaches simply don't put much effort into scouting and exposing their tendencies. 

8 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Point is that anybody can play together in the regular season, coaches simply don't put much effort into scouting and exposing their tendencies. 

I agreed with your assessment that they can play together. 

We talk about rim protecting like that is a necessity. It is a luxury that is typically enjoyed by the elite teams in the NBA. My point that I never articulated is who cares about rim protecting on the Cavs since they won't make the playoffs or will be a 1 and done in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I agreed with your assessment that they can play together. 

We talk about rim protecting like that is a necessity. It is a luxury that is typically enjoyed by the elite teams in the NBA. My point that I never articulated is who cares about rim protecting on the Cavs since they won't make the playoffs or will be a 1 and done in the playoffs. 

I was big on rim protecting for years but given that you are correct about it being a luxury, I don't think it matters. You need a center on the floor that either secures rebounds or blocks shots. You don't need both anymore, it's too expensive, and shot blocking often comes at the expense of the ability to defend the perimeter. I feel bad for guys like Rudy Gobert come playoff time, their actual basketball utility is diminished exponentially. Offense, and shooting in particular, is just much more important now than a center's defensive hallmarks even 10 years ago. 

Edited by miasma16

40 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I was big on rim protecting for years but given that you are correct about it being a luxury, I don't think it matters. You need a center on the floor that either secures rebounds or blocks shots. You don't need both anymore, it's too expensive, and shot blocking often comes at the expense of the ability to defend the perimeter. I feel bad for guys like Rudy Gobert come playoff time, their actual basketball utility is diminished exponentially. Offense, and shooting in particular, is just much more important now than a center's defensive hallmarks even 10 years ago. 

So, are we saying Love may start at C?

6 minutes ago, AndreSplash said:

So, are we saying Love may start at C?

If the two of them play together I would think Nance is the nominal C since Love would be the one spacing the floor, and Nance is better at defending inside and out than Love is.

• Like 4