dorwell

Andre Drummond 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

On 8/31/2018 at 5:08 PM, MarcoPol0 said:

i have the 12th pick in a h2h 9cat and im thinking of taking drummond/ben simmons at 12 and 13 for a strong punt ft/3pm build

 

That's a pretty interesting strategy that I kind of like.  You're elite in rebounds, FG, steals, blocks.  Still not a total points punt.  TO's still manageable.  Drummond can contribute  3's and you can stock up later in draft.  I tend to like out of position stat Unicorns like Simmons, even tho he hurts you in 3 cats.  Not sure who to pick after those two...Capela will be gone and might be overkill.  Gary Harris would be nice but might be gone by then too.  By taking Simmons you're committing to assists, which always get over drafted, so it's killing some value there.  Maybe Lowry or CP3 slip to you there and would make an excellent pick at that point imo (I've seen them slip b/c folks are down on them for injury / age reasons).  In fact CP3 would likely be the best possible scenario at that point.  And you're not punting points fully yet, as there will be teams with lower scoring players on their roster (Draymond, Gobert, Capela, etc).  If you go full on punt points then Draymond might be another good fit, but he's likely gone by then and we've probably the best of his production already).  Other players who might be available could be Turner, Middleton (both not likely), J-rich, Gasol almost for sure will be there and gives you more assists and 3's than any other center.  

 

So maybe if things fall right you're looking at 

 

Simmons

Drummond

CP3

Gasol

 

Then maybe another FG booster like Adams, Allen, Collins, or Whiteside, and 3&D the rest of the way. 

Edited by hipriest69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

 

That's a pretty interesting strategy that I kind of like.  You're elite in rebounds, FG, steals, blocks.  Still not a total points punt.  TO's still manageable.  Drummond can contribute  3's and you can stock up later in draft.  I tend to like out of position stat Unicorns like Simmons, even tho he hurts you in 3 cats.  Not sure who to pick after those two...Capela will be gone and might be overkill.  Gary Harris would be nice but might be gone by then too.  By taking Simmons you're committing to assists, which always get over drafted, so it's killing some value there.  Maybe Lowry or CP3 slip to you there and would make an excellent pick at that point imo (I've seen them slip b/c folks are down on them for injury / age reasons).  In fact CP3 would likely be the best possible scenario at that point.  And you're not punting points fully yet, as there will be teams with lower scoring players on their roster (Draymond, Gobert, Capela, etc).  If you go full on punt points then Draymond might be another good fit, but he's likely gone by then and we've probably the best of his production already).  Other players who might be available could be Turner, Middleton (both not likely), J-rich, Gasol almost for sure will be there and gives you more assists and 3's than any other center.  

 

So maybe if things fall right you're looking at 

 

Simmons

Drummond

CP3

Gasol

 

Then maybe another FG booster like Adams, Allen, Collins, or Whiteside, and 3&D the rest of the way. 

 

the thing is I think i'd be punting 3s as well as FT%. the issue is getting enough pts and assists

 

just did a mock and ended up with

 

1. drummond

2. ben simmons

3. middleton

4. dwight

5. bledsoe

6. josh richardson

7. dejounte

8. john collins

9. kyle anderson

10. thad young

11. jarrett allen

12. caris levert

13. austin rivers

 

depending on how it goes there are other guys i can take like elfrid, randle, taj gibson but dont know how viable this is.

 

wanted to lock down FG%, REB, STL, BLK and still be somewhat competitive in PTS/AST/TO

 

also not sure which SG to target here

Edited by MarcoPol0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MarcoPol0 said:

 

the thing is I think i'd be punting 3s as well as FT%. the issue is getting enough pts and assists

 

just did a mock and ended up with

 

1. drummond

2. ben simmons

3. middleton

4. dwight

5. bledsoe

6. josh richardson

7. dejounte

8. john collins

9. kyle anderson

10. thad young

11. jarrett allen

12. caris levert

13. austin rivers

 

depending on how it goes there are other guys i can take like elfrid, randle, taj gibson but dont know how viable this is.

 

wanted to lock down FG%, REB, STL, BLK and still be somewhat competitive in PTS/AST/TO

 

also not sure which SG to target here

 

By no means would you be punting 3's.  Drummond contributes a little, which is better than most centers.  3's can be made up later.  Don't rely on these mocks for realistic results.  Middleton likely won't be available at your 3rd round pick.  Dwight in the 4th is too high as well. There's no way J-rich, collins, or allen will be there at those spots, I can guarantee it.  Collins is rocketing up draft boards and if you want him or j-rich you would have to take them with your 3rd/4th picks.  Bledsoe and Dejounte might be there for your 5th/6th if you're lucky.  Allen will be gone by the 5th, maybe 6th at the very latest.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

 

By no means would you be punting 3's.  Drummond contributes a little, which is better than most centers.  3's can be made up later.  Don't rely on these mocks for realistic results.  Middleton likely won't be available at your 3rd round pick.  Dwight in the 4th is too high as well. There's no way J-rich, collins, or allen will be there at those spots, I can guarantee it.  Collins is rocketing up draft boards and if you want him or j-rich you would have to take them with your 3rd/4th picks.  Bledsoe and Dejounte might be there for your 5th/6th if you're lucky.  Allen will be gone by the 5th, maybe 6th at the very latest.  

 

 

 

drummond and ben both made 0 3 pointers last year. its hard to put drummond down for more than 1 a game when shooting has never been his game. when my first 2 picks dont make 3 pointers its hard not to punt 3s

 

the biggest problem i see is just the lack of SGs relative to whats needed for the build

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hipriest69 also, dwight is high in the 4th but when punting ft and 3pm hes a top 20 player. in the 3rd/4th i need to take 1 center between clint/deandre/dwight/adams to maintain fg% reb and blk superiority 

Edited by MarcoPol0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarcoPol0 said:

 

drummond and ben both made 0 3 pointers last year. its hard to put drummond down for more than 1 a game when shooting has never been his game. when my first 2 picks dont make 3 pointers its hard not to punt 3s

 

the biggest problem i see is just the lack of SGs relative to whats needed for the build

 

53 minutes ago, MarcoPol0 said:

@hipriest69 also, dwight is high in the 4th but when punting ft and 3pm hes a top 20 player. in the 3rd/4th i need to take 1 center between clint/deandre/dwight/adams to maintain fg% reb and blk superiority 

 

Using the same logic there will be lots of other teams who take two or more players who will hit zero threes (with later picks)...as long as the rest of the players you draft hit at least one three/game, hopefully more, you'll be fine.  Which is why I mentioned CP3 or Gary Harris, who will get around 2 per game, and still have a high FG %.  Gasol will get around 1.5 threes while boosting all your other counting stats.  You might lose to a team with Steph, Lillard, or George if they go off  but you're not aiming to win that category every week.  There's teams with first round picks Russ, Lebron, KAT, Giannis, etc who aren't three point monsters either.     

 

Not gonna list all the SG's for this build but there are some good ones that chip in assists, steals, and 3's while not killing your FG or TO.  And if your first 3 picks are FG anchors you don't have to worry about taking a low FG shooter. 

Edited by hipriest69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

 

 

Using the same logic there will be lots of other teams who take two or more players who will hit zero threes (with later picks)...as long as the rest of the players you draft hit at least one three/game, hopefully more, you'll be fine.  Which is why I mentioned CP3 or Gary Harris, who will get around 2 per game, and still have a high FG %.  Gasol will get around 1.5 threes while boosting all your other counting stats.  You might lose to a team with Steph, Lillard, or George if they go off  but you're not aiming to win that category every week.  There's teams with first round picks Russ, Lebron, KAT, Giannis, etc who aren't three point monsters either.     

 

Not gonna list all the SG's for this build but there are some good ones that chip in assists, steals, and 3's while not killing your FG or TO.  And if your first 3 picks are FG anchors you don't have to worry about taking a low FG shooter. 

 

this is true, i agree. i'm just thinking in the vein that it's only worth reaching on drummond/ben at 12/13 when im punting both FT and 3pm. if I'm just punting FT, depending on whose available I'd rather just go the non-punt route and take guys like jokic/oladipo or kawhi/oladipo, guys like that to build off of

 

at picks 12/13 i like the option of being able to dictate my draft since drummond/simmons will both guaranteed be there and if i adopt a build punting both ft and 3pm their value skyrockets relative to my team and then the reach is worth it

 

 

Edited by MarcoPol0
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i could take this even further and punt FT/3PM and PTS

 

taking ben after drummond immediately makes me dominant in FG/REB and very competitive in assists, steals and blocks. focusing on counting stats and players like kyle anderson, and high AST/TO guards like teague.. in h2h thats hard to stop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 5:28 PM, Stefan said:

WHY ON EARTH would you be drafting Steph when you plan punting FTs ?????????!?!?!?!?!

meh, just because he tanks FT% doesn't mean he wants to tank scoring or 3PTM, and Curry gives you that along with elite efficiency and contributions in every stat besides blocks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

 

By no means would you be punting 3's.  Drummond contributes a little, which is better than most centers.  3's can be made up later.  Don't rely on these mocks for realistic results.  Middleton likely won't be available at your 3rd round pick.  Dwight in the 4th is too high as well. There's no way J-rich, collins, or allen will be there at those spots, I can guarantee it.  Collins is rocketing up draft boards and if you want him or j-rich you would have to take them with your 3rd/4th picks.  Bledsoe and Dejounte might be there for your 5th/6th if you're lucky.  Allen will be gone by the 5th, maybe 6th at the very latest.  

 

 

He will definitely be near last of the league in the category. 10 years ago when the top guys hit 2.5 3s per game it might have been ok, but today when teams are hitting 1500 3s in a season you can't really afford more than like 3 non 3 pt shooters without tanking you in the category. That is the reason I've been targeting Ibaka and Brook for their ability to gets blocks while hitting 3 pointers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MarcoPol0 said:

 

this is true, i agree. i'm just thinking in the vein that it's only worth reaching on drummond/ben at 12/13 when im punting both FT and 3pm. if I'm just punting FT, depending on whose available I'd rather just go the non-punt route and take guys like jokic/oladipo or kawhi/oladipo, guys like that to build off of

 

at picks 12/13 i like the option of being able to dictate my draft since drummond/simmons will both guaranteed be there and if i adopt a build punting both ft and 3pm their value skyrockets relative to my team and then the reach is worth it

 

 

This strategy seems wise. I've started a few of my teams for Nikola/Ben Simmons, and I've learned that it is really hard to be competitive in 3ptm and ppg when you start with those two, so I can imagine Drummond being a similar issue with the added FT% woes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MarcoPol0 said:

unless if someone has a stacked team of steals like kawhi/oladipo then i'd be f**ed. maybe not then


You should be fine because your build is great for targeting specialists. I would target Kris Dunn (your team can absorb his low FG%, and he fits into your FT% and 3PTM tank, while giving you 5-6 assists and close to 2 steals a game. Then you can grab Dejountay Murray late in the draft and get sweet out of positions STOCKS from him. I'd also target Jerami Grant, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, maybe even Trevor Ariza if you can take the hit to your FG%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Judicious said:


You should be fine because your build is great for targeting specialists. I would target Kris Dunn (your team can absorb his low FG%, and he fits into your FT% and 3PTM tank, while giving you 5-6 assists and close to 2 steals a game. Then you can grab Dejountay Murray late in the draft and get sweet out of positions STOCKS from him. I'd also target Jerami Grant, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, maybe even Trevor Ariza if you can take the hit to your FG%. 

I agree, Dunn is a must have in this build

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Judicious said:


You should be fine because your build is great for targeting specialists. I would target Kris Dunn (your team can absorb his low FG%, and he fits into your FT% and 3PTM tank, while giving you 5-6 assists and close to 2 steals a game. Then you can grab Dejountay Murray late in the draft and get sweet out of positions STOCKS from him. I'd also target Jerami Grant, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, maybe even Trevor Ariza if you can take the hit to your FG%. 

 

I would feel negligent if I didn’t say that any team build that features a pineapple head (RHJ, Myles Turner, etc) is ill-advised since we all know their bones are made of glass and their tendons silly string and they will fall apart every other game, needing to miss time for re-assembly. 

 

All that being said I’m a huge fan of the Jokic/Simmons build I did it last year (I got Simmons later but lost my 2nd round pick to injury so I count it the same) and it was a really interesting team to build around since you can still go a lot of different directions with those as a base.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i love the potential for the build but after doing some mocks, the lack of relevant SG is a clear problem. has position eligibility gotten more strict? i dont want to end up with only 1 player w sg eligibility like austin rivers late or something

 

theres a huge amount of relevant players at other positions, just not Sg

Edited by MarcoPol0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i know this is the drummond thread but alternatively to this build ive been considering oladipo and kawhi/butler at 12/13 bc of the scarcity of guys that get 2+ steals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MarcoPol0 said:

i love the potential for the build but after doing some mocks, the lack of relevant SG is a clear problem. has position eligibility gotten more strict? i dont want to end up with only 1 player w sg eligibility like austin rivers late or something

 

theres a huge amount of relevant players at other positions, just not Sg

it seems so to me, I can't think of any  3 position players I've seen so far this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok in a 14-team startup Dynasty league i went Giannis/Drummond in the first two rounds

 

wasn't planning on punting FT% (because I have never tried that) when draft started so draft along with me here lol

 

what stats/positions should i target in the next couple rounds or do I just go with BPA for a few more rounds

 

edit: oops i thought i was posting this in the Simmons/Drummond draft thread, i think will will start a new thread instead of clogging this one up with draft stuff

Edited by Lash
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SGWannabe said:

18ppg 17rpg 2.5apg 1.6spg 1.9bpg 52%fg 68%ft  0.5 3pt 

 

 

pretty generous, I'd say 15/17/2.3/1.4/1.7 on 510% and 60%ft is more probable

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting discussion on the Drummond/Simmons combination. That’s a sure FT% punt and most likely PTS as well. I wouldn’t punt a 3rd cat though as you may be hard pressed to make the playoffs even if you are dominant in 5 cats. 

 

With that being said and I have been mocking a lot from the 13th/14th picks using Simmons, I think Dray is a better partner for Simmons and just go the full punt FT/PTS route. At least you have some threes with your first two picks with Dray and Ben cancels out the former’s FG% hit. You’d be sitting pretty in assists as well but will have to target more steals and threes while taking one or two punt FT% bigs later in the draft such as Whiteside, Dwight, Adams and Nurkic. 

 

THREES are also a major issue in a punt FT/PTS build. I almost always target Ellington and Bullock with my last picks just to catch up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, SicarioSanity said:

 

With that being said and I have been mocking a lot from the 13th/14th picks using Simmons, I think Dray is a better partner for Simmons and just go the full punt FT/PTS route. At least you have some threes with your first two picks with Dray and Ben cancels out the former’s FG% hit. You’d be sitting pretty in assists as well but will have to target more steals and threes while taking one or two punt FT% bigs later in the draft such as Whiteside, Dwight, Adams and Nurkic. 

 

THREES are also a major issue in a punt FT/PTS build. I almost always target Ellington and Bullock with my last picks just to catch up. 


So, whats wrong with Jrue/Gobert  at 13/14 and build from there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dekciw_1 said:


So, whats wrong with Jrue/Gobert  at 13/14 and build from there?

To each his own, was just experimenting how to build around Simmons if the situation calls for it. I play in 16 teamers so there is a possibility that I might pick at the back end of the snake so it’s nice to be prepared with a go to strategy. 

 

Jrue and Gobert could work but I think you’re reaching for Jrue on that spot. You’d be also starving for PTS as well. 

 

I’ve also experimented with a Kemba Donovan start and punt assist, just prioritize bigs and 3 and D wings the rest of the way because those two will net you a lot of points already and 20 PPG scorers are scarce after the first few rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the point of punting was to get players that slip because of their issues (e.g. Drummond's FT%) rather than overdraft them in the early second round? If you draft Drummond at 13 you're drafting him at his value if the league didn't account for FT%... You should be trying to get him in the 20's or 30's as other owners should be shying away from him for that reason, not overdrafting him to force a punt build

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.