Gile Pile

Lonzo Ball 2018-2019 Season Outlook

12 minutes ago, jim james said:

once his his athleticism is gone, you’re left with a guy who can pass but is a huge offensive liability.

Well, passing is part of offense...

There's lots of good players- good starters, even- out there who can't shoot.  Even if he never improves his shot, he can still be one of those guys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jim james said:

Make no mistakes, this is lonzo’s make or break season. If he can’t improve with a guy like lebron taking the spotlight of scrutiny away...he’s done.

20 minutes ago, jim james said:

once his his athleticism is gone, you’re left with a guy who can pass but is a huge offensive liability.

To both these statements, he's a 20 year old about to be 21. I feel like he has multiple years to improve. Maybe he won't be a superstar, but I think writing him off as productive starter after this season just because he didn't make the leap doesn't make too much sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

To both these statements, he's a 20 year old about to be 21. I feel like he has multiple years to improve. Maybe he won't be a superstar, but I think writing him off as productive starter after this season just because he didn't make the leap doesn't make too much sense.

There are tons of lottery picks who don’t spend much time in the league.

not poo pooing him but am saying, those percentages last year were horrible

23 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Agree. I am not a Lonzo fan. I think he is extremely overrated as a player. But the kid didn't have a healthy offseason. Let him get through an offseason healthy to work on his game and then judge him. As bad as he misses shots, they still only count as one miss and he still makes some threes. He just needs to figure out his game to mask his inefficiencies. But he will improve. This might be make or break in LA because of his baggage, but not for his career. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tom Chambers said:

Well, passing is part of offense...

There's lots of good players- good starters, even- out there who can't shoot.  Even if he never improves his shot, he can still be one of those guys.

If it were just his fg% fine, his free throws is what’s most troubling.

What good is a point guard you cant have in the 4th quarter of a close game. If he continues to shoot 45% from free throws, it’s better to foul him for the 1 point

3 hours ago, jim james said:

If it were just his fg% fine, his free throws is what’s most troubling.

What good is a point guard you cant have in the 4th quarter of a close game. If he continues to shoot 45% from free throws, it’s better to foul him for the 1 point

I'll bet you a million dollars he never shoots 45% from the line for a full season. your talking point is ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, panthers93 said:

I'll bet you a million dollars he never shoots 45% from the line for a full season. your talking point is ridiculous. 

I get it.

i am not saying he is done..:what I AM saying is that if he doesn’t show drastic improvement across the board with LeBron James on the team, he’s a bust.

show me one nba point guard who had balls percentages from last year and managed to stay in the league.

People are amazed by his athleticism. 

Fine. 

Derek rose, whose injuries robbed him of his finesse, has nothing on balls speed but still is relevant because he isn’t a liability.

Simple as that 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, jim james said:

i am not saying he is done..:what I AM saying is that if he doesn’t show drastic improvement across the board with LeBron James on the team, he’s a bust.

You're telling me if a rookie doesn't improve on his rookie season, he's a bust?

Image result for willy wonka

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, miasma16 said:

You're telling me if a rookie doesn't improve on his rookie season, he's a bust?

Image result for willy wonka

Im saying if he can’t improve his percentages, then yes.

Last few years of the draft have had some guards with horrid percentages who couldn’t improve.

1 hour ago, jim james said:

I think it's a given that if he doesn't increase his percentages he won't be long for the league. I think even if he replciated last years he's got 1-2 more years left. That being said, it's an obvious take to say a 36% shooter isn't long for the league and also an obvious take that he will improve upon that this year.  I think I'll even guarantee a fg% increase over the season only 3 games in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

Not a bad line starting, passed up on couple wide open shots he needs to take though

Agreed could have had a much better line if he would just pull the trigger. Multiple possessions where Lebron drives and he's left wide open and when Lenron kicks he doesn't shoot it. It's all mental right now.

Hopefully as the season goes on he builds confidence. Definitely should be in the starting lineup over rondo but Josh Hart may be his main competition. Hart and Lebron are playing well together and at the end of the day whoever plays well with Lebron will be the person getting more minutes.

7 hours ago, jim james said:

Last few years of the draft have had some guards with horrid percentages who couldn’t improve.

Yeah? Who?

I'll give you Mudiay. Exum always looked like a bit of a disappointment, but he seems to finally be figuring things out. Maybe. But those are two examples. Unfortunately, they're examples of guys that suck.

Marcus Smart is inefficient. He's plenty productive and would find 25 mpg on half the teams in the league. Lonzo is already looking like he'll be a much better version of Smart. He was drafted and was projected to be significantly better at creating offense, particularly with his jumper. He's a pain in the a** on the defensive end, just like Smart is, and a good rebounder. Obviously he's 100x better at passing.

Everyone else is starting and/or thriving.

Mudiay is like the only dude in the league from the last 5 years of drafts that looks like he's going to wash out of the league primarily due to stagnant efficiency, but he has plenty of issues beyond that, not the least of which is that he looked like he should be one of the best defenders in the league and he's a terrible defender. Again, your argument against Lonzo with regards to his efficiency is flimsy at best.

He’s sour. He doesn’t want to play with LeBron. There was also reports that Bron wanted him traded to Orlando for Vuc in the offseason then Ball had knee surgery. It’s going to be weird season for the Lakers in general.

9 hours ago, Slime said:

He’s sour. He doesn’t want to play with LeBron. There was also reports that Bron wanted him traded to Orlando for Vuc in the offseason then Ball had knee surgery. It’s going to be weird season for the Lakers in general.

interesting. where did you get this from? got a link?

On 10/22/2018 at 11:55 AM, thezing1 said:

Agree. I am not a Lonzo fan. I think he is extremely overrated as a player.

:o

I think that Lonzo is the most underrated player in basketball!  Everyone says how much he stinks, how much he needs to improve, what a bust he is, etc.  However, what many don't realize is just how much he affected the game in every category except his scoring, which is all most people look at!

Yes his efficiency numbers need to improve.  However what many naysayers overlook is that last season Lonzo was ranked 3rd amongst ALL point guards in defensive rating, impacted the Lakers offense more than any other player on the team and averaged 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and 1 block... AS A ROOKIE!!

There is a reason why the Lakers organization is so high on him.  If his shooting continues to regress to the mean, others will begin to see it also.

20 hours ago, greatestmetfan said:

Definitely should be in the starting lineup over rondo but Josh Hart may be his main competition.

Hart is definitely not Lonzo's main competition.  They play different positions.  Rondo is his main competition and he was brought in to tutor Lonzo.  The front office saw that their games have a lot of similarities and so they want Rondo to groom Lonzo.  Plus, having Rondo allows the Lakers to have an excellent PG in the game at all times, pushing the ball at the speed by which the Lakers want to play for all 48 minutes.

40 minutes ago, QCJLo said:

I think that Lonzo is the most underrated player in basketball!  Everyone says how much he stinks, how much he needs to improve, what a bust he is, etc.  However, what many don't realize is just how much he affected the game in every category except his scoring, which is all most people look at!

Yes his efficiency numbers need to improve.  However what many naysayers overlook is that last season Lonzo was ranked 3rd amongst ALL point guards in defensive rating, impacted the Lakers offense more than any other player on the team and averaged 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and 1 block... AS A ROOKIE!!

There is a reason why the Lakers organization is so high on him.  If his shooting continues to regress to the mean, others will begin to see it also.

I think he gets a lot of unjust hate because of how much he was hyped and because his father is a d bag.  It’s a dark part of human nature that when someone else is doing well people try to shoot him down.  You can overcome this gut reaction if the player in question is affable but a lot of people don’t find him to be affable.  For me I was a 50/40/90 player but I am six foot and not very athletic so when I see a player who can’t shoot make it to the nba I’m a little jealous.  That said I’ve been watching more Ball recently and I think he will be fine.  Maybe he won’t be a superstar but actually watching him more against NBA competition and not just looking at the stat lines you see how superior his athleticism and passing ability is even relative to other NBA players.  If guys like Rondo and Kidd can not only have longevity but become elite then there’s at least hope Ball can be a starter.  For this season specifically, IMO it’s going to be difficult for him to have a lot of value with rondo starting and LeBron a primary ball handler.  The best thing for him is to be the primary ball handler with the second knot which caps his upside but raises his floor.  He can probably carve top 100 value but I don’t see him going much higher. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, QCJLo said:

Hart is definitely not Lonzo's main competition.  They play different positions.  Rondo is his main competition and he was brought in to tutor Lonzo.  The front office saw that their games have a lot of similarities and so they want Rondo to groom Lonzo.  Plus, having Rondo allows the Lakers to have an excellent PG in the game at all times, pushing the ball at the speed by which the Lakers want to play for all 48 minutes.

Problem when Rondo and Ingram are on the court is that no one can really shoot. I just think Lonzo should be the one starting because he can actually knock down a 3 pointer. I know Hart and him play different positions but when Lonzo, Hart, and Rondo are all active there aren't a ton of minutes to go around at the guard position unless they play small.

I feel like the best lineup for this team is Lonzo, Hart, Kuzma, Lebron, Mcgee. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, greatestmetfan said:

Problem when Rondo and Ingram are on the court is that no one can really shoot. I just think Lonzo should be the one starting because he can actually knock down a 3 pointer. I know Hart and him play different positions but when Lonzo, Hart, and Rondo are all active there aren't a ton of minutes to go around at the guard position unless they play small.

I feel like the best lineup for this team is Lonzo, Hart, Kuzma, Lebron, Mcgee. 

I'm  not sure anyone would disagree with that starting lineup.  I know that is the sentiment amongst nearly all Lakers fans.

As for "not enough minutes to go around at the guard position unless they play small."  Playing small is exactly what the Lakers want to do.  in fact, Hart has been seeing some time at the SF position.

5 hours ago, QCJLo said:

These types of back and forth discussions are kind of pointless because we never defined the status we put on Lonzo...and that is what we are debating. So who is to say that you agree with my assessment of him or that you think he is overrated in my assessment? Right? We are both making assumptions. 

There are a lot of players that peak in their first or second year in the league and then fade. That is because they are on horrible teams and get a massive opportunity that they never seem to carve out further in their careers. I am not saying this will happen to Lonzo, but I do think an assessment of a player and his abilities needs to go beyond their stat line playing on a horrible roster. 

Again, I don't think he is going to fade out of the league. I think he will be fine long term. I don't think he is a "generational" talent. I will say this Lakers team with its pace is by far the best suited to his skill set. I am also not sold on the Lakers commitment to him. I think they are committed to Ingram. I don't think they have their mind made up on Ball and I think that is smart since the dude hasn't even played 82 NBA games yet. It is nice that we are finally able to talk about Lonzo and not his family for a change. Hope it stays that way. 

• Like 1