Letitbe793

Wander Franco, SS, TB

Nephew of Erick Aybar, not to be confused with his father and two brothers also named Wander Franco, this 17 year old  2017 july 2 signee has hit the ground running for the Rays Princeton rookie ball team. Only 15 games but Wander Samuel Franco's performance so far combined with the scouting reports I've read point to him being an elite can't miss kind of prospect and I am really excited to follow his career. 

So far in rookie ball: .371, 3 HR, 2 SB, 6.0% BB rate, 7.5 % K rate, .258 ISO. 

The Rays are known to move guys along slowly so could be 2022, 2023 before we see him in the bigs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not many players at the age of 17 have posted a 150 wRC+ or more in Rookie ball. At least not this decade. Even 140 wRC+ is an impressive bar to reach. 

Soto is head and shoulders above his peers in his first taste of pro ball with a 184 wRC+. Albies (160), Devers (146), Acuna (142), Vlad (122), Torres (119), and Tatis (108) trail Soto in wRC+ as well as his ISO of .189 and his wOBA of .450. 

The Appy League is only 1/3 of the season underway but if Wander Franco finishes his season with Princeton, Soto may have some company. 

Wander Franco 
.352/.403/.592 
7.8% K 
157 wRC+ 
.442 wOBA 
.239 ISO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I just have to say that even though it’s a small sample size, my whole perception on Franco has completely changed.  I felt he was one of those better real life prospects than fantasy.  I’ll be looking to buy everywhere.

Posted (edited)

He is 4-4 today. 2  home runs and a triple

He might be a top 40-50 prospect right now. Arrows moving UP!!!

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Wish he was in the CBS database.  Kid has all the qualities of the next great prospect.

• Like 2

for those old enough to remember, i cant help but think of "Hi I'm Larry, and this is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl"

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 9:22 PM, Tayne said:

Wish he was in the CBS database.  Kid has all the qualities of the next great prospect.

When do they usually add prospects, I’d love to scoop him up before he blows up even more. 

4 hours ago, heyeaglefn said:

ETA?  2021?

I think if he actually blows up 2020  is technically in the play, but based on it being the Rays 2021 is far more realistic.  He's certainly starting in a full season league either next year or shortly.  

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It's the Rays guys...I'd look for just past the super 2 guesstimate...in 2024

I wander if he'll beat honeywell?

• Haha 2

It’s players like this that really make me want to join a dynasty league. He looks like a future superstar but he’s still so far away.

Typed his name into Yahoo not expecting to see him, then got all excited when he was there!

Only to realize it is his brother... 3B, SF.

17. Wander Franco

Franco signed last July 2 for $3.85 million, and the early returns are rather promising: The 17-year-old is in the advanced-rookie Appalachian League and hitting .386/.426/.683, with only eight strikeouts in his first 108 pro plate appearances.

Franco has lightning-quick hands and a great left-handed swing for hard contact with loft for power. As of this writing, he's tied for second in the Appy League in triples, fourth in homers and is third in slugging percentage, fourth in average and ninth in on-base percentage, even though he's one of only two 17-year-olds in the entire league.

He's probably not a shortstop in the long run, but if that's the case he'll end up at second. If you're looking for the next Vlad Jr. who's going to be in the No. 1 overall discussion and might see the majors before he turns 20, this is your guy.

Yeah he was in the 20's range for BA update too, but that is crazy praise from Klaw--who is really plugged in to the best scouts in the game.

For him to stick out his neck like that for a 17 yr old, I am fully onboard now...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Is the full list behind a pay wall?

Yes it is. Check your PM.

Franco was #26 on BA’s most recent update.

• Thanks 1