Letitbe793

Wander Franco, SS, TB

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, killa3312 said:

1-3 with another walk today. Also had a sac fly.

Boring. Definitely not ready for AA already then...

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

5 games since the promotion...10 hits...4 walks...0 Strikeouts. 

Ok, maybe he's ready for AA already then... 😀

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Ok, maybe he's ready for AA already then... 😀

He definitely is 

Returned to the lineup last night and went 2-4 with two doubles and a walk.

He has walked more times (5) than he has swung and missed in High-A so far (4). Dude is just absurd.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 6:29 AM, killa3312 said:

He has walked more times (5) than he has swung and missed in High-A so far (4). Dude is just absurd.

Might be the best hit tool I’ve seen from a prospect since I’ve been following baseball. 

Was very impressed with what I saw at the futures game. Honestly two of the three strikes called against him in the AB against Anderson to start the game were off the plate so he got screwed in that AB, but showed exceptional plate discipline and pitch recognition, then he roped a single his second AB. His only weakness is his base running which, even as a 60 grade runner, is well below average, and he showed it by being easily thrown out trying to steal second.

BA came out with an article today basically saying he is a potential 80 grade hitter when you throw in everything, and it's hard to argue why. His plate recognition is otherworldy for a teenager.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, killa3312 said:

Was very impressed with what I saw at the futures game. Honestly two of the three strikes called against him in the AB against Anderson to start the game were off the plate so he got screwed in that AB, but showed exceptional plate discipline and pitch recognition, then he roped a single his second AB. His only weakness is his base running which, even as a 60 grade runner, is well below average, and he showed it by being easily thrown out trying to steal second.

BA came out with an article today basically saying he is a potential 80 grade hitter when you throw in everything, and it's hard to argue why. His plate recognition is otherworldy for a teenager.

Sounds like this kid is going to be what I thought Vlad Jr was going to be.  Don’t get me wrong, Vlad will be an all-star but I don’t think he’ll be a top 5 overall player.  I had a bad feeling when he showed up 30 pounds overweight in mid-Feb.  

Is there any reason not to test his bat in AA?

Forget his age, he clearly is not being challenged, and it is not like it would hurt the Rays’ years of contract control.

If it turned out AA isn’t a challenge either and suddenly the Rays feel pressure to fast track him for a 2020 debut, so what? Their competitive window is right now, this would be a good thing.  

• Like 1

He has actually struck out all 5 times in High-A since the Futures Game. He still has really good numbers but he has slumped a tad the last couple weeks. Obviously he wasn’t going to hit .400 or over for the rest of the year but I think finishing the year out in High-A is perfectly fine. Start him in AA or AAA next season and see how he handles it and if he dominates then go from there.

7 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

He has actually struck out all 5 times in High-A since the Futures Game. He still has really good numbers but he has slumped a tad the last couple weeks. Obviously he wasn’t going to hit .400 or over for the rest of the year but I think finishing the year out in High-A is perfectly fine. Start him in AA or AAA next season and see how he handles it and if he dominates then go from there.

Fun while it lasted. Next hype train fellas 😎

13 minutes ago, hypeiz4real said:

Fun while it lasted. Next hype train fellas 😎

Lol, I’m his biggest fan there possibly is. He’s amazing and going to be amazing, but he has already been aggressively pushed and I’d like to see him adjust to High-A pitchers now that they’ve adjusted a little to him. He slumped down the stretch a little of last season too and he still ended up with amazing numbers but his numbers were absurd before the slump.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, killa3312 said:

Am I missing something? He has struck out 5 times in 8 games while batting .281 since the Futures game. This is a slump? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Am I missing something? He has struck out 5 times in 8 games while batting .281 since the Futures game. This is a slump? 

Correct. And he's not batting .400 anymore...It's buy low time imo 

9 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

It’s a slump because he’s the youngest player in the Florida State League by at least 12 months.  I wonder what the birthdate of the 2nd youngest player in the FSL is.  

38 minutes ago, Strike Three said:

It’s a slump because he’s the youngest player in the Florida State League by at least 12 months.  I wonder what the birthdate of the 2nd youngest player in the FSL is.  

Nolan Gorman is 2nd youngest. He’s 10 months older than Wander.

7 hours ago, Strike Three said:

That’s not a slump by any definition. If anything him being the youngest player does nothing to strengthen an argument that hitting better than league average over a 9-game span is not a slump. Nobody is expected to hit .400 at any level. With that type of sustained run of success there will always be some small period of regression going on in between. 

• Like 1