Letitbe793

Wander Franco, SS, TB

I’m setting the over/under at 32 pages for this thread before this kid gets called up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

I’m setting the over/under at 32 pages for this thread before this kid gets called up.

Reminds me of the Vlad Jr. post I made a few years back...still going stong lol 

This kid is impressive, in his last 10 games, he has only gone hitless in one, but did manage to get a walk that game.

Excited to see how his career turns out, but knowing the Rays, he probably won’t be in the majors until 2027!

29 minutes ago, JohnR said:

He's now in CBS... Run, do not walk to your waiver wire

Delete this.

Hit a home run yesterday. The kid is killing it. 17 year old wonder! We have seen flops before but his line is so encouraging 9k/11bb in 135 ABs lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Hit a home run yesterday. The kid is killing it. 17 year old wonder! We have seen flops before but his line is so encouraging 9k/11bb in 135 ABs lol

Beat me to it! 

Guys got the stats to go along with the rankings hype he received from Klaw BA and MLB.com. Sure there are a couple others. 

Wonder how high he goes in the offseason rankings. Gotta be a consensus top 25 with some having him in the top 15 I'd think. 

3 for 5 with a HR last night. 

Also made his 13th error..there is a decent chance he does move off SS

5 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

3 for 5 with a HR last night. 

Also made his 13th error..there is a decent chance he does move off SS

Guy's line is silly good, glad to see I'm not the only one looking at it regularly.

CHOO CHOO

At 17, it is impossible to say with any certainty that he is or is not a SS...his hands appear very fluent and range/speed factor is solid enough.

All I care about is that absurd bat speed and mature approach at the plate. He's crushing a league of guys 2-4 yrs his senior.

TB knows he's a possible generational type of talent and seem to be willing to push him. VERY excited about him!

On 7/6/2018 at 8:16 PM, Letitbe793 said:

Nephew of Erick Aybar, not to be confused with his father and two brothers also named Wander Franco, this 17 year old  2017 july 2 signee has hit the ground running for the Rays Princeton rookie ball team. Only 15 games but Wander Samuel Franco's performance so far combined with the scouting reports I've read point to him being an elite can't miss kind of prospect and I am really excited to follow his career. 

So far in rookie ball: .371, 3 HR, 2 SB, 6.0% BB rate, 7.5 % K rate, .258 ISO. 

The Rays are known to move guys along slowly so could be 2022, 2023 before we see him in the bigs. 

So is one of those brothers in the SF farm system?  Yahoo has a Wander Franco SF-3B in their database but no SS-TB one. 

This is about as bad as George Foreman naming all his sons George too.  What is wrong with these people?  How many mini me's do you need for validation?  Stop screwing up my search engine already!

• Haha 2

I think so. milb.com lists 3 different Wander Franco's all playing in the minors:

Wander Javier Franco   3B SF

Wander Alexander Franco   3B SF

Wander Samuel Franco   SS TB

:o  

and check this out... CBS lists 2 Wander Franco's  our beloved from TB and another Wander Franco  3B KC.

We had a league controversy as one owner picked up Wander Franco 3B KC before Wander Franco SS TB was added to the system and then tried to claim that CBS just messed up the team and position - KC versus TB and he should have the TB one. This was after I claimed the Wander Franco SS TB on waivers.  MILB.com also shows that Wander Javier Franco was signed by KC in 2017, waived and claimed by SF later that same year so it appears that CBS is simply not up to date with their player rosters. After some negotiation, I am happy to report I have THE Wander Franco we all care about in this thread.   

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

Following him over the next few years will be both a blast and very frustrating. 

I predict he will continue this success as he moves up and be the consensus #1 prospect in the minors at the beginning of the 2020 season, maybe even by 2019 midseason rankings. 

But the Rays will inevitably advance him at a snail's pace as they typically do. 

15 hours ago, AngryBeavers said:

KC versus TB and he should have the TB one. This was after I claimed the Wander Franco SS TB on waivers.  MILB.com also shows that Wander Javier Franco was signed by KC in 2017, waived and claimed by SF later that same year so it appears that CBS is simply not up to date with their player rosters. After some negotiation, I am happy to report I have THE Wander Franco we all care about in this thread.   

Hope this helps. 

There's also Wander Javier who's different from that one. I believe the SF/KC one are the same Wander Franco who is TB Wander Franco's older brother.

I imagine a lot of leagues are going to have Wander Franco debates about who should have the real one. Personally, unless agreed to as a league before, just because you have the bad fake one doesn't mean you should get the good one when he enters this system.  Maybe people in your league realized it was the same guy so they didn't bother to pick him up.

If he continues hitting, he could be the #1 prospect when guys like Vlad and Eloy don't qualify anymore.  Really might be a top 10 prospect right now and lots of people just want to wait it out until he "proves it". You can rank Wander Franco however the heck you want, but if you eventually have him top 5/1 and someone else has had him there for a year, you were late.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If he continues hitting, he could be the #1 prospect when guys like Vlad and Eloy don't qualify anymore.  Really might be a top 10 prospect right now and lots of people just want to wait it out until he "proves it". You can rank Wander Franco however the heck you want, but if you eventually have him top 5/1 and someone else has had him there for a year, you were late.

Yep.  The fact he's continued post mid-season hype to me means he could surprise on some lists (ie top 10).  I wouldn't be surprised if he was consensus top 20 for pre-2019 season rankings.  I understand the ETA causes a lot of people reservation but the reality is that a number of 20 year olds have come up the past few years.  A lot of ETAs assume he's 22/23 when he debuts. 

It will be interesting to see how the Rays handle him.  While they are pretty conservative with some guys, when a guy's ready he's ready.  Curious to see if he gets a cameo with the Renegades before season's end or a stint in the AZL. 

tom: I know he’s only 17, but is Wander Franco a guy you see in the majors at 19, like a Juan Soto. What’s his power ceiling? 
Keith Law: Yes. 25+ homer guy. I’ll be shocked if he is still on the minors on the day he turns 20, barring injury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

tom: I know he’s only 17, but is Wander Franco a guy you see in the majors at 19, like a Juan Soto. What’s his power ceiling? 
Keith Law: Yes. 25+ homer guy. I’ll be shocked if he is still on the minors on the day he turns 20, barring injury.

Law isn't usually that aggressive with anyone.. is he? 

5 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Law isn't usually that aggressive with anyone.. is he? 

Hes consistently been the high man on Tatis. He’s had his misses too, but a decent track record when he’s out on a limb on someone. He did burn me a little on his Rutherford love a couple years ago, but I think he was like a top 50 guy for him.

He’s number 3 on Meh’s Most recent prospect rankings *.

* Please note I do not have a prospect rankings, but if I did I’d put him right behind Vlad and Eloy. This kid’s gonna be a superstar.

32 minutes ago, meh2 said:

He’s number 3 on Meh’s Most recent prospect rankings *.

* Please note I do not have a prospect rankings, but if I did I’d put him right behind Vlad and Eloy. This kid’s gonna be a superstar.

Sounds like he's number one in our hearts too. Suppose when you are shooting for upside, it's easy to agree, and it fantasy who's not shooting for upside?

Riding a 10 game hit streak.  Had a 25 gamer earlier in the year. 

So of his 45 games played he's spent 35 of them with extended hit streaks.

<3

On 8/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, Letitbe793 said:

Following him over the next few years will be both a blast and very frustrating. 

I predict he will continue this success as he moves up and be the consensus #1 prospect in the minors at the beginning of the 2020 season, maybe even by 2019 midseason rankings. 

But the Rays will inevitably advance him at a snail's pace as they typically do. 

Frustrating if you passed him over in a rookie FA draft last December for Esteury Ruiz.  Franco was my 1B pick there, but Ruiz had more of a track record at that point.

Edited by AllWrightNow