Fenamo

Kyle Tucker 2018 Outlook

With Correa out, he should get a lot of run with Marwin at SS. Kemp is the obvious odd man out as a lefty. If Tucker hits, I could see him pushing Marwin down the OF depth chart as well once Correa comes back. 

• Like 2

Looks like Kemp is out of a full time job.  

I wonder if Correa is going to be out longer than we first initially thought.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

.306/.368/.597 with a .964 OPS vs Lefties

.306/.372/.502 with a .874 OPS vs Righties

this is based on 62 AB against Lefties and 265  the other way. 

[Removed Cool Story.] 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, kwelch said:

.306/.368/.597 with a .964 OPS vs Lefties

.306/.372/.502 with a .874 OPS vs Righties

this is based on 62 AB against Lefties and 265  the other way.

Every year that he has had a meaningful number of at bats against left handed pitchers he has hit them MUCH better than right handed pitchers.  So much so that it is an oddity.

He will be a special player.  I think a great comp is Larry Walker.  A guy who hit left handed pitchers REALLY well.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jimmymckrack said:

Juan Soto 2.0!!!

Not really a fair comparison since Soto was hitting at a level hardly anybody else does in the minors, but Tucker has been pretty good since his slow start.

I would run and pick him up, but unfortunately he's stashed in my keeper league.  Hopefully it's an enjoyable rest of the season for people who do have him though.  And this will likely help their pitching get a little more run support, so that's still a positive side effect.

• Like 1

The Good:

They didn't call him up to be a bench bat. At the very least he's playing against RHP every day, probably lefties too.

He's going to be in an elite lineup

He is a legit 5 category guy. He isn't a plus plus speed guy, but this is a guy who could steal 20 bags a year for a couple years, which in today's landscape is ginormous for a 5x5/standard league.  Even in extra category leagues, its pretty good because he wont kill you in any category.

The Bad

He needs to hit pretty well because the Astros can go a lot of ways with their team. They are a championship contending team, so they wont give him a ton of time to figure it out if he cant. Most likely I think he hits decently right away, he was a stud in spring training and been one of the hottest hitters in the minors over the last month and change.

He might sit vs some lefties

He will probably bat lower in the lineup, and if Correa comes back, thats a spot lower for Tucker. At least the Astros have a good enough lineup where it wouldn't matter too much and he can always force his way higher like Soto did.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Not really a fair comparison since Soto was hitting at a level hardly anybody else does in the minors, but Tucker has been pretty good since his slow start.

I would run and pick him up, but unfortunately he's stashed in my keeper league.  Hopefully it's an enjoyable rest of the season for people who do have him though.  And this will likely help their pitching get a little more run support, so that's still a positive side effect.

How fair is that when Soto was in single A ball? He was in AA for 9 days or so. 

Edited by RBI Sports

3 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

How fair is that when Soto was in single A ball? Did he even reach AA before he was called?

barely but yes

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

barely but yes

lol, yeah....just edited after a quick check

1 hour ago, tonycpsu said:

With Correa out, he should get a lot of run with Marwin at SS. Kemp is the obvious odd man out as a lefty. If Tucker hits, I could see him pushing Marwin down the OF depth chart as well once Correa comes back. 

Marwin has a sub 90 WRC+ this year and in 2016, 2017 sure does seem like an outlier.  Marwin is a very useful player to have in real life baseball, but he's a utility guy on a good team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Marwin has a sub 90 WRC+ this year and in 2016, 2017 sure does seem like an outlier.  Marwin is a very useful player to have in real life baseball, but he's a utility guy on a good team.

Right, but Tucker still has to outplay him.  I absolutely think he will, but he's not just going to be given the job.  Of course there are plenty of other avenues to playing time for Marwin, so this could all be moot, but in an either-or playing time situation, they won't hesitate to send Tucker back down if he isn't hitting.

Just now, tonycpsu said:

Right, but Tucker still has to outplay him.  I absolutely think he will, but he's not just going to be given the job.  Of course there are plenty of other avenues to playing time for Marwin, so this could all be moot, but in an either-or playing time situation, they won't hesitate to send Tucker back down if he isn't hitting.

I can't even imagine Tucker being sent back down. I mean, sure......but he'll outhit Jake on his worst day. 

• Like 2

Worth noting Marisnick was the send down, so its just Tucker, Springer, Reddick, Kemp while Marwin is locked in at SS. As Tucker, Reddick, and Kemp are all lefties, it may be more likely we see Tucker/Kemp make some starts in the DH slot to get them all in the game, at the cost of Evan Gattis.

I doubt Astros would be making this move if they were going to play him sporadically. If that was the case, they'd keep Marisnick up or use Derek Fisher.

So either way, a run don't walk type add in almost all formats.