Fenamo

Kyle Tucker 2018 Outlook

Just now, Sidearmer said:

Worth noting Marisnick was the send down, so its just Tucker, Springer, Reddick, Kemp while Marwin is locked in at SS. As Tucker, Reddick, and Kemp are all lefties, it may be more likely we see Tucker/Kemp make some starts in the DH slot to get them all in the game, at the cost of Evan Gattis.

I doubt Astros would be making this move if they were going to play him sporadically. If that was the case, they'd keep Marisnick up or use Derek Fisher.

So either way, a run don't walk type add in almost all formats.

Gattis has been carrying the team.  Doubt he loses ABs anytime soon.

Kemp might be dealt.  I bet if Tucker hits he sticks FT, he's a big part of the Stroes future unlike Reddick, Kemp, Marwin.

22 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

I can't even imagine Tucker being sent back down. I mean, sure......but he'll outhit Jake on his worst day. 

It's not a Marisnick vs. Tucker situation. If Tucker doesn't produce and Marwin/Kemp do, Tucker could absolutely be sent back down. Let's hope that doesn't happen. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Worth noting Marisnick was the send down, so its just Tucker, Springer, Reddick, Kemp while Marwin is locked in at SS. As Tucker, Reddick, and Kemp are all lefties, it may be more likely we see Tucker/Kemp make some starts in the DH slot to get them all in the game, at the cost of Evan Gattis.

I doubt Astros would be making this move if they were going to play him sporadically. If that was the case, they'd keep Marisnick up or use Derek Fisher.

So either way, a run don't walk type add in almost all formats.

I believed in everything until I read what you wrote about Evan Gattis lol 

Edited by shakestreet

Batting 7th in his debut. Figured he’d start off there. 

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I thought they already said Marisnick was the one being sent down.  I read it somewhere ... didn't I?

you did. That's what happened 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RBI Sports said:

How fair is that when Soto was in single A ball? He was in AA for 9 days or so. 

Fair point.  Ok, maybe something a bit better to say would be to wait and see what he does before saying he's Juan Soto 2.0.  The potential is there to be pretty good though obviously.

Didn't look terrible today, although Shields had him looking silly with his offspeed stuff.

First AB he took to a full count and then got caught looking at low cutter.  Second and third AB he got almost all offspeed stuff and looked lost.

His first hit came on another 3-2 count and he stroked it right past the first baseman's glove.  He tried to steal on a 0-2 count and probably would have had it but it got fouled off.  Next pitch he was taking off again but had a bad jump and held.  Either way gotta love the confidence.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jdizzle said:

1-4 with 3k’s. Nice to see him get a hit in his final at bat of the day 

EDIT: He got another AB and walked with the bases loaded so got his first RBI!

official stat line: 1-4, 3k, 1bb, 1rbi

21 minutes ago, HesSoTaguchi said:

Didn't look terrible today, although Shields had him looking silly with his offspeed stuff.

First AB he took to a full count and then got caught looking at low cutter.  Second and third AB he got almost all offspeed stuff and looked lost.

His first hit came on another 3-2 count and he stroked it right past the first baseman's glove.  He tried to steal on a 0-2 count and probably would have had it but it got fouled off.  Next pitch he was taking off again but had a bad jump and held.  Either way gotta love the confidence.

Agree I like what I saw from him today. The 3k I’m not worried about

Funny, I believe Kris Bryant’s first big league game was against Shields too where he struck out 3 times.  We all know how that story has unfolded so far....

Over the course of a full season what are realistic Home Run, Stolen Base and OBP expectations from Tucker?  20/15/345 seem fair to expect?  And are Tucker's Stolen Base totals based more off plus speed or a good technique and proper stolen base opportunity recognition?

His swing seems a bit long and I bet teams pound him in on the hands early. Wouldn’t be surprised if he struggles initially. 

2 hours ago, fourstar said:

His swing seems a bit long and I bet teams pound him in on the hands early. Wouldn’t be surprised if he struggles initially. 

He will probably go on a tear by the end of the month/all of August.

Wishful thinking anyway.  Hoping the same for Springer Dinger.

Good news is he has not struck out the past two games.

In the lineup tonight vs. a left handed pitcher.

Edited by B&F

27 minutes ago, B&F said:

Good news is he has not struck out the past two games.

In the lineup tonight vs. a left handed pitcher.

He actually hits lefties really well.