BetterCallHinkie

Jamal Murray 2018-2019 Season Outlook

I think Jamal's role is fine as the core of Denver's team was pretty damn good last year. Their biggest problem was/is the integration of Paul Millsap into the system and they didn't make the playoffs because of that.

If anything, I would bet Malone keeps the young starting core of Murray, Harris, Jokic, and Will Barton off the bench. Anyone else who will play has to prove that they make that core better. They can't miss the playoffs this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rob0403 said:

I think Jamal's role is fine as the core of Denver's team was pretty damn good last year. Their biggest problem was/is the integration of Paul Millsap into the system and they didn't make the playoffs because of that.

If anything, I would bet Malone keeps the young starting core of Murray, Harris, Jokic, and Will Barton off the bench. Anyone else who will play has to prove that they make that core better. They can't miss the playoffs this year.

This team is an offensive juggernaut.  Denver has stated that Barton will start this year, and IT2 will be the scorer 6th man off the bench.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

This team is an offensive juggernaut.  Denver has stated that Barton will start this year, and IT2 will be the scorer 6th man off the bench.  

Yeah, Wilson Chandler is gone. Barton will start. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Yeah, Wilson Chandler is gone. Barton will start. 

I have a feeling they would want a 3 and D instead of more firepower in the starting lineup. Did Malone say Barton will start?

• Like 1

Juancho could be a better fit starting. Barton is the better player but you might want him to lead a second unit.

24 minutes ago, Nene said:

Juancho could be a better fit starting. Barton is the better player but you might want him to lead a second unit.

I'm a big proponent of this type of thinking, and even I don't agree with this. Barton is far better than anyone else they could start. No need to get cute, just give him the minutes. Juan was terrible last season, anyway. 

It's not about getting cute,a nd I've stated in the post you actually quoted that Barton is better. That second unit needs his skills (playmaking, driving). Him being used as a primary option off the bench is no knock on his skills. 

• Like 1

It may make more sense for Barton to come off the bench but he was planning to go elsewhere in free agency to find a starting job. Denver shed its bad contracts to be able to sign Barton to the price he was looking for AND give him a role in the starting lineup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rob0403 said:

I have a feeling they would want a 3 and D instead of more firepower in the starting lineup. Did Malone say Barton will start?

Yes I heard Malone and the GM say Barton is starting, and IT2 is the 6th man ala Barton's crazy usage role off the bench.  IT2 might have better value than Barton if that's the case (given his injury is not debilitating).  And Murray probably still has more value than IT2.  This whole team is just filled with fantasy beasts...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Barton made clear he wanted a start job on whichever team he plays. I'm sure this was discussed before Barton signed with the Nuggets again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rncnomics said:

I haven't seen anyone discuss what his defensive potential is. That's the biggest issue with his value.

Because there is NO defensive potential in him :rolleyes: 
He's "just" a scoring machine. Poor man's Devin Booker ( love them both btw :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stefan said:

Because there is NO defensive potential in him :rolleyes: 
He's "just" a scoring machine. Poor man's Devin Booker ( love them both btw :D

This. Murray is a fantastic scorer but he's awful on D. That's why Denver has Gary Harris and Millsap, and Barton is a solid defensive presence as well. They have to compensate for how terrible Murray and Jokic are on defense lol.

Usage was there, and will be there even more when he's shooting well.

Fact is.. Will Barton needs the ball in his hands and it makes it tougher for Maple Curry to get in a rhythm. I doubt they can co-exist and both put up major lines. It would be best for fantasy and maybe real life purposes if Will came off the bench...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pdids911 said:

Barton is such a fking ballhog

To be fair he was looking for Murray a lot though. Barton had the hot hand too so couldn’t really be mad at him for shooting like he did. Murray shot a lot, he just shot like trash. I think once he gets going he’ll have the ball even more

12 minutes ago, pdids911 said:

Barton is such a fking ballhog

This is wildly untrue and Barton had nothing to do with Jamal’s game last night. Murray always struggles against really aggressive defenders like Beverly.  His handle has improved but he still struggles against defenders that really get up into him. He’ll be fine. 

If Barton is out for extended period of time...

Oh dear GOD :) 
Blue Arrow and Harry G gonna B E A S T !  :D