Sign in to follow this  
greeny

Who will be the best player from the 2018 draft?

Who will be the best player from the 2018 draft?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the best player from the 2018 draft?

• DeAndre Ayton
    • Marvin Bagley III
    • Luka Doncic
    • Jaren Jackson Jr.
    • Trae Young
    • Mo Bamba
    • Other

6 hours ago, Auction>Snake said:

2 blocks 7 points & 7 rebounds (4 offensive) in 9 minutes for JJJ

I admit, when JJJ got drafted by Memphis, my first thought was, he is gonna take some time to be fantasy relevant because they have Marc Gasol, Memphis not known to develop rookies, they might prioritize winning now with veterans, he is still raw offensively, but watching this guy play in summer league has proven me wrong. He is getting a lot of love because

1) blocks, he blocks with left and right hand with ease and great timing

2) 3s. weird release, but it is quick and works just fine. and his dad Sr. is a great shooter so it must be in the genes

These 2 alone 3s and blocks makes him a great source of stocks, ala Porzingis. But this guy also has above average post moves, and can dribble drive to the basket all the way from the 3 point arc which is very impressive. Will not show in the box score, but his ability to post up and drive, will mean he will not be just a spot up shooter which can drag his FG% down because he is so talented on offense. This guy is gonna be special.

comparison I can find for him now: Chris Bosh with blocks. which is scary. He also loves to play and is giving it all despite this being summer league, compared to say Ayton, who grabs rebounds with ease, but you could see slacks off at times.

Many things can still happen, but I bet right now Memphis is happy no one took their bait of trading Parsons and 4th pick to another team just to get rid of that ugly contract. Player development will be very important

Edited by sya

3 hours ago, sya said:

I admit, when JJJ got drafted by Memphis, my first thought was, he is gonna take some time to be fantasy relevant because they have Marc Gasol, Memphis not known to develop rookies, they might prioritize winning now with veterans, he is still raw offensively, but watching this guy play in summer league has proven me wrong. He is getting a lot of love because

1) blocks, he blocks with left and right hand with ease and great timing

2) 3s. weird release, but it is quick and works just fine. and his dad Sr. is a great shooter so it must be in the genes

These 2 alone 3s and blocks makes him a great source of stocks, ala Porzingis. But this guy also has above average post moves, and can dribble drive to the basket all the way from the 3 point arc which is very impressive. Will not show in the box score, but his ability to post up and drive, will mean he will not be just a spot up shooter which can drag his FG% down because he is so talented on offense. This guy is gonna be special.

comparison I can find for him now: Chris Bosh with blocks. which is scary. He also loves to play and is giving it all despite this being summer league, compared to say Ayton, who grabs rebounds with ease, but you could see slacks off at times.

Many things can still happen, but I bet right now Memphis is happy no one took their bait of trading Parsons and 4th pick to another team just to get rid of that ugly contract. Player development will be very important

About your second paragraph though, the guy ended up shooting under 40% for the summer league. Granted I didn't watch anything but his highlights, I am not that sure about his offensive ability yet. Hopefully he will have a Shawn Marion type of shot, weird but goes in all the same.

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

About your second paragraph though, the guy ended up shooting under 40% for the summer league. Granted I didn't watch anything but his highlights, I am not that sure about his offensive ability yet. Hopefully he will have a Shawn Marion type of shot, weird but goes in all the same.

i don't really put much weight into summer league fg%, with the exception of say someone like Trae Young who clearly just settles for 3s. JJJ had like 2-3 games of bad FG%, but you can see he has post moves, and driving ability. If he can figure how to mix things up the right way, he will be alright. Trae young is a different story, his biggest problem is he just cannot finish inside the paint against nba competition

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sya said:

i don't really put much weight into summer league fg%, with the exception of say someone like Trae Young who clearly just settles for 3s. JJJ had like 2-3 games of bad FG%, but you can see he has post moves, and driving ability. If he can figure how to mix things up the right way, he will be alright. Trae young is a different story, his biggest problem is he just cannot finish inside the paint against nba competition

True, Trae Young has good potential but a very low floor because of that.

3 hours ago, sya said:

I wouldn't look too far into summer league stats. These are glorified pick up games and the sample size is small. 

Trae Young's game is 3's. He isn't settling, that is just what he is. He will reign in the forced attempts out of the flow, but it is just green light in the summer league for him to find that line of "too" much. 

The takeaway I had on JJJ was that he is athletic and skilled enough to be on the floor for as many minutes as he can handle in the new age of basketball. His skill set is ideal for the next big man and he needs experience and reps. I don't really care too much about his shooting %. I think his key will be understanding where to be because Gasol and Conley are very smart players and you don't want them getting frustrated with a rookie being in the wrong place. His shot can be improved, but it isn't like we are talking about Lonzo Ball here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sya said:

Sya, all i know is that if he falls to me at #4, im taking him lol

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

I wouldn't look too far into summer league stats. These are glorified pick up games and the sample size is small. 

Trae Young's game is 3's. He isn't settling, that is just what he is. He will reign in the forced attempts out of the flow, but it is just green light in the summer league for him to find that line of "too" much. 

The takeaway I had on JJJ was that he is athletic and skilled enough to be on the floor for as many minutes as he can handle in the new age of basketball. His skill set is ideal for the next big man and he needs experience and reps. I don't really care too much about his shooting %. I think his key will be understanding where to be because Gasol and Conley are very smart players and you don't want them getting frustrated with a rookie being in the wrong place. His shot can be improved, but it isn't like we are talking about Lonzo Ball here. 

Grizz gotta be "thinking" playoffs with a healthy Conley and Gasol and adding Anderson.  That's 3 very smart players.   Do you think JJJ can avg a 1/1/1 as a rookie even if he comes off the bench?

1 hour ago, hipriest69 said:

Grizz gotta be "thinking" playoffs with a healthy Conley and Gasol and adding Anderson.  That's 3 very smart players.   Do you think JJJ can avg a 1/1/1 as a rookie even if he comes off the bench?

I also think this Grizzlies team will be very high IQ and competitive. I know what you are trying to get at with the 1/1/1 question, but I don't think that way. I think of it more like upside block potential that you get late that doesn't hurt your FT%. But, you need to be able to withstand the hit that puts on your scoring because he will be below average in points. But, having a guy that will block a shot a game and not hurt you from the stripe is a good thing. I think the 1/1/1 is just a quick and dirty excuse to build instead of focusing and analyzing your team construction during a draft. I view it as cap rate versus cash on cash analysis for real estate investing (if that makes sense). Not saying 1/1/1 isn't useful or whatever, just saying it is a little simple. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, larfboy said:

Sya, all i know is that if he falls to me at #4, im taking him lol

Would you take him at #1?

9 hours ago, greeny said:

Would you take him at #1?

If you’re referring to jjj, probably not. I’d still go doncic ayton before jjj

8 hours ago, larfboy said:

If you’re referring to jjj, probably not. I’d still go doncic ayton before jjj

I’d take Doncic too, but maybe not Ayton. JJJ is really looking versatile, though Ayton does seem primed to put up easy numbers in Phoenix. 

If I'm drafting for dynasty I'm probably going Doncic, JJJ, Carter, Bamba, Ayton, Robinson, Young.  

Edited by hipriest69

18 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

If I'm drafting for dynasty I'm probably going Doncic, JJJ, Carter, Bamba, Ayton, Robinson, Young.  

Robinson top 6?? that's bold

2 hours ago, larfboy said:

Robinson top 6?? that's bold

Sure but he has the highest upside in terms of blocks and has the skills to lead the league in them one day.  Only Kanter and Noah ahead of him on depth chart.  

1 hour ago, hipriest69 said:

Sure but he has the highest upside in terms of blocks and has the skills to lead the league in them one day.  Only Kanter and Noah ahead of him on depth chart.  

Yes. I guess if you need bigs it makes sense. But man that’ll be tough to draft him ahead of Knox Sexton MPJ SGA Bridges

Robinson looked good in summer league, but come on he is nowhere near the level of the top 10 players in this draft. Summer league can be deceiving. If summer league were a pure basis for how players will eventually perform, then Bayless and Stanley Johnson should be memebers of All NBA teams. With that said, Robinson did look good because he is athletic, but not top 6 good

• Thanks 1

You guys dont think sexton will thrive given his summer league games and the fact he has the keys to cleveland ? People will have to respect k love being unleashed and that givs the rookie some opportunities 

Edited by JaydensGuys

tier 1: The safest bets

Doncic
Ayton
JJJ: can be flipped with Ayton

- - - -

tier 2

Wendell Carter

Bagley

Bamba: Vucevic still there and frame too small for NBA Centers

Knox: looked good, but will be toxic in FG

-----

tier 3

Trae Young

Collin Sexton

tier 1 seemed destined for great things, however, anything can happen after last year's top 2 flopped. However, this year's top 3 seem safer bets

Edited by a-rob

I've got a pretty similar post-SL dynasty top twelve:

Tier 1:

1. Doncic

2. Jackson

3. Ayton

Tier 2:

4. Carter

5. Bagley

6. Bamba

7. Young

Tier 3: