• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
greeny

Who will be the best player from the 2018 draft?

Who will be the best player from the 2018 draft?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the best player from the 2018 draft?

• DeAndre Ayton
    • Marvin Bagley III
    • Luka Doncic
    • Jaren Jackson Jr.
    • Trae Young
    • Mo Bamba
    • Other

Posted (edited)

Doncic (age 19, born in 1999):

Career highlights and awards

Garbajosa (born in 1977):

Doncic seems to be better that Garbajosa.  If you are good at basketball as Doncic is, you are at least decent on defense.  High level euro competition (club or national team) is "defense first".   If you take plays off on defence, you don't play at all. That is how it works there.   

Athleticism being a mandatory requirement to be a good defender is ridiculous .   Look at these two very athletic players:  Kyle Anderson  and Joe Ingles. Both have positive  +/-

Edited by Gile Pile
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Doncic is far superior in most ways to Garbajosa. I was using him to prove how ridiculous the "Euro" predudice is.

Edited by Spyplane

JJJ will probably be the best player from the 2018 draft.

2 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Doncic (age 19, born in 1999):

Garbajosa (born in 1977):

Doncic seems to be better that Garbajosa.  If you are good at basketball as Doncic is, you are at least decent on defense.  High level euro competition (club or national team) is "defense first".   If you take plays off on defence, you don't play at all. That is how it works there.   

Athleticism being a mandatory requirement to be a good defender is ridiculous .   Look at these two very athletic players:  Kyle Anderson  and Joe Ingles. Both have positive  +/-

Literally nobody has said this. Further, Kyle Anderson has some of the best hands in the NBA and about 4" in wingspan on Doncic, why are you comparing them? Have either of you even watched him play? If you two are going to insist on arguing, would you mind arguing about things that were actually said? It's a waste of time to blow up strawman arguments over and over again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spyplane said:

It's not a stupid argument. There are many examples of guys who were average athletes and solid or above average defenders. I use Garbajosa because he's a slow footed Euro. I'm challenging you guys to give up your prejudice "Euro" notion. If you don't want to accept the challenge then fine, continue on.

All the guys around Doncic in the draft have glaring holes in their game but they seem to get a lot more slack around here than the Euro. That Euro in him is really holding back optimism. It's too bad he was born Euro is all I can say.

I don't have a Euro prejudice and I don't believe Miasma does either. All we're saying is, he looks slow and lacks lateral quickness. I don't get how you can really sit here and say that doesn't matter on defense. Sure, he can be a crafty little defender that learns a few tricks and hides his problems, but 1 on 1 he is going to get blown past by NBA guards and wings, especially this year. I really don't know how you can argue with that. Where I think Miasma and I have a difference of opinion is with his offense. I personally just don't see him coming in and scoring 20 a game like it's nothing. He might be able to get to 15, but it will be on high volume and the FG% will probably be ugly. Rookie guards on high volume usually don't shoot well, no matter how many awards you've won as a teenager or where you're from. Again, that is something I don't see how you can argue with. So just tell me, how do I or Miasma have a prejudice when we don't believe in his defense and I don't believe in his offense, at least this year as a rookie? Both of those things don't have anything to do with where he's from or the color of his skin. As I already stated, I'm not a fan of Trae Young, mainly for the same reasons I'm not a fan of Doncic. Young will get torched on defense and his offense will be so up and down as a rookie guard that he won't be worth much this year. Young is American and has a different skin color than Doncic. Yet, the weird thing is, no one is saying I have some weird prejudice against him even though he has the same problems as Doncic, who I supposedly do have a prejudice against. Doesn't make sense to me but really, I hope Doncic plays well for you and everyone else. I have already stated my postition and I'm not biased against Doncic.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Spyplane said:

It's not a stupid argument. There are many examples of guys who were average athletes and solid or above average defenders. I use Garbajosa because he's a slow footed Euro. I'm challenging you guys to give up your prejudice "Euro" notion. If you don't want to accept the challenge then fine, continue on.

All the guys around Doncic in the draft have glaring holes in their game but they seem to get a lot more slack around here than the Euro. That Euro in him is really holding back optimism. It's too bad he was born Euro is all I can say.

I am just an observer of this back and forth, but the game has drastically changed since 2006. The offensive philosophies have completed shifted. "Positionless" basketball would have been mocked. "Switch everything" would have been exploited or raised entirely different scenarios based on the athletes on the floor and offensive scheme and the rules.  

I think you guys are just saying that Doncic isn't an elite athlete....and guess what, he isn't...and everyone knows that. And then you show his accomplishments overseas....and guess what, everyone knows he is accomplished overseas. There are plenty of players that have made the transition from "minor leagues" to the big stage. There are plenty of players that haven't. In a few months you all will be able to see for yourself. So make a sidebet and move on. 

Edited by thezing1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miasma16 said:

Literally nobody has said this. Further, Kyle Anderson has some of the best hands in the NBA and about 4" in wingspan on Doncic, why are you comparing them? Have either of you even watched him play? If you two are going to insist on arguing, would you mind arguing about things that were actually said? It's a waste of time to blow up strawman arguments over and over again.

Somebody has to be first.  And yes, I've watched Doncic quite a lot.  The kid can play, it has the swagger that reminds me a lot of young Drazen Petrovic  and young Sabonis when he was still playing for Soviet Union (before he got bum knees). 

We will agree to disagree. 

Even if Doncic has trouble staying in front of quick 1s and 2s (I haven't watched him enough to know), does that automatically give him high bust potential? No. Never forget that Derek Fisher won five championships in this league.

1 hour ago, Meadowlark said:

Even if Doncic has trouble staying in front of quick 1s and 2s (I haven't watched him enough to know), does that automatically give him high bust potential? No. Never forget that Derek Fisher won five championships in this league.

You can still be a player who puts up crazy stats in this league even if you don't play a lick of quality defense (see: James Harden). I'm not comparing Doncic to Harden, mind you -- just to say, bad defense isn't fatal. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, terribleswedes said:

You can still be a player who puts up crazy stats in this league even if you don't play a lick of quality defense (see: James Harden). I'm not comparing Doncic to Harden, mind you -- just to say, bad defense isn't fatal. 

Yeah bad offense doesn't really hurt fantasy potential. I think fantasy wise he will be good this year because Mav burned some assets to get him. He will have all the chances he can get.

As a real life player I think he would be OK too as long as his offense outweighs his D limitations. The NBA puts their best scorer defending the weakest offense anyways.

There are lots of fantasy studs who don't play good defense. Here's a potential stud for Dynasty who DOES play defense. He also shot 44% from downtown and has a faster average clocked release than Klay Thompson. He'll be a small ball PF and should get ample opportunity given it took two first rounders to get him(one of which is probably a top five pick). I'm talking about Mikal Bridges of the Phoenix Suns. You'll probable be able to grab him late round in re-draft.

Check this out: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/3/6/17082610/mikal-bridges-nba-draft-3-and-d

I like Mikal Bridges but I think this year is too early for him to have fantasy value.

The Suns forward positions are suprisingly crowded with guys who are either established players or young (possible) talent like Ariza, Warren, Jackson, Chriss and Bender. Making them all valid options to earn solid minutes. 

He may beat out some of them, but with so much competition at both of his positions it seems difficult for a rookie to earn enough minutes to make an impact.

On 01/08/2018 at 1:28 AM, Gile Pile said:

Somebody has to be first.  And yes, I've watched Doncic quite a lot.  The kid can play, it has the swagger that reminds me a lot of young Drazen Petrovic  and young Sabonis when he was still playing for Soviet Union (before he got bum knees). 

We will agree to disagree. 

White Euro swagger?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, qpeeters said:

I like Mikal Bridges but I think this year is too early for him to have fantasy value.

The Suns forward positions are suprisingly crowded with guys who are either established players or young (possible) talent like Ariza, Warren, Jackson, Chriss and Bender. Making them all valid options to earn solid minutes. 

He may beat out some of them, but with so much competition at both of his positions it seems difficult for a rookie to earn enough minutes to make an impact.

I don't think you realize the gravity of the trade that brought him to Phoenix. They paid a high price. He then went into summer league and showed them they made the right choice by playing within his game in a setting where guys are ball hogging to get a contract. He put up high efficiency numbers, looked very mature. He proved he's a cog that will fit with Booker and Ayton. They need a guy who can pick up the slack for Booker on D and catch & shoot the lights out on offense. He's instant 3D.

I don't think Bender or Chriss are legit competition. They both look like busts and have done nothing change that notion over the summer. They also don't do the things Bridges does. Bridges can guard four positions and knocks down shots at an elite level. These two don't stand a chance, they're trade candidates. 

Ariza will get minutes but he signed on as a mentor and only for one year. He's there for the payday of $15M. I expect him to be dialed back and Bridges dialed up just in time for the regular season home stretch and the beginning of our fantasy playoffs.

Warren is a trade candidate and can't play small ball PF. He does not seem to be part of the core anymore.

What I think will happen is you'll see two of Warren, Chriss and Bender moved for a PG by the deadline. 

Bridges isn't a pick for a fast regular season start. Bridges is a pick for when the games start to matter most. He's also an excellent Dynasty investment because you'll get him at a high value spot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, qpeeters said:

Only Ariza and Jackson really matters

• Like 1