• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
jay14bay

Brook Lopez 2018-2018 Season Outlook

Assuming he is locked into the starting role in MIL, what do you anticipate?

What a roller coaster last year was in LA, I can't imagine this year is worse.

• Confused 1

For now I will assume that Parker plays elsewhere. 

BLo will have to compete for touches with Giannis, Bledsoe and Middleton and will also have guys like Henson and Thon looking for PT.  However, he can still be pretty useful for fantasy getting 28MPG with good %'s BLK, and 3PM from the C position.  I'm assuming he won't get jerked around like he did in LA.  He could definitely post top 60 fantasy #'s. 

I don’t get why he signed here unless he got tires of being a spot up shooter in LA. Bledsoe and Giannis take must if the shots. Giannis doesn’t shoots threes so Brook clogs up the lanes, and he doesn’t get boards. I suspect a time share of 10/5. 49%.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I don’t get why he signed here unless he got tires of being a spot up shooter in LA. Bledsoe and Giannis take must if the shots. Giannis doesn’t shoots threes so Brook clogs up the lanes, and he doesn’t get boards. I suspect a time share of 10/5. 49%.

Really? His situation in LA was untenable.  It’s not going to be much better here but I don’t think he could stay in LA.  

13 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Really? His situation in LA was untenable.  It’s not going to be much better here but I don’t think he could stay in LA.  

I’m going based off the facts that the Bucks (playoff Bucks) ran much faster when Henson & Thon were engaged. Brook doesn’t do what those two bring on the defensive end.

15 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I’m going based off the facts that the Bucks (playoff Bucks) ran much faster when Henson & Thon were engaged. Brook doesn’t do what those two bring on the defensive end.

LA was also trying to play fast too and idk if he would have worked with LeBron so I think its at worst a draw.  The truth of the matter is BroLo’s skill set is anachronistic so it probably doesn’t matter much where he goes.  He extended his range to beyond the arch but he would still do better in a slow pace environment which doesn’t exist for the most part.  

The fit with MIL is questionable, but his game is extremely fantasy friendly, which is what made him relevant last year despite the LA sht-show.  He can get blocks and triples in bunches which makes him quite useful for a punt-fg% roster.  I wouldn't use him in roto.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

The fit with MIL is questionable, but his game is extremely fantasy friendly, which is what made him relevant last year despite the LA sht-show.  He can get blocks and triples in bunches which makes him quite useful for a punt-fg% roster.  I wouldn't use him in roto.

He has averaged 47% fg even after adding 3pm to his arsenal. How does this force you to punt fg% in h2h and make him unusable in roto?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

He has averaged 47% fg even after adding 3pm to his arsenal. How does this force you to punt fg% in h2h and make him unusable in roto?

I didn't say it forces you to do anything, but 47% from a center is not helping you in roto or a non-punt fg% team. If you ignore fg% then his value increases greatly, which is why I said he is quite useful in that setting. To say I wouldn't use him in roto is exaggeration but I would much prefer him in H2H.

edit: Also, I expect him to shoot more this season (primarily due to increase in minutes via not getting benched the entire 4th) 

Edited by jay14bay
  • Like 1

He is also by far the best C on the Bucks list. I think he's going to do well with the 27-30 min he gets

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ROTY said:

He is also by far the best C on the Bucks list. I think he's going to do well with the 27-30 min he gets

I agree Baze :D  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ROTY said:

Projections? 14 pts and 5 rebs with 2 triples and 1.0-1.5 blocks  maybe? Worth a look if all other exciting big men are gone I guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richg24 said:

Projections? 14 pts and 5 rebs with 2 triples and 1.0-1.5 blocks  maybe? Worth a look if all other exciting big men are gone I guess.

He’ll be the fourth option IMO behind Freak-Kmidd-Bledsoe but the amount of defensive attention those wings will command should leave him wide open almost every play (Especially since he’ll peel the opposing big out and can post up whoever they put on him if they cheat).

The numbers you gave seem spot on to me as but with around 1.4 bpg as a floor

Fg% will depend on him getting post up opportunities, he should be above 50% IMO since the Buck’s big three are all willing and able passers

Ceiling:

16 ppg (50%+ fg, 77% ft), 2.4 3PM, 6 rpg, 1.7 bpg + <2 apg / TO, <1 spg.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikhov said:

He’ll be the fourth option IMO behind Freak-Kmidd-Bledsoe but the amount of defensive attention those wings will command should leave him wide open almost every play (Especially since he’ll peel the opposing big out and can post up whoever they put on him if they cheat).

The numbers you gave seem spot on to me as but with around 1.4 bpg as a floor

Fg% will depend on him getting post up opportunities, he should be above 50% IMO since the Buck’s big three are all willing and able passers

Ceiling:

16 ppg (50%+ fg, 77% ft), 2.4 3PM, 6 rpg, 1.7 bpg + <2 apg / TO, <1 spg.

this is pretty much what people expect now out of myles turner except a bunch more blocks and less 3s. if this is the case and these numbers are realistic than Brolo is severely underrated right now. I don't really want him just because I have owned him 4 out of the last 5 seasons, so I am tired of him...but if you are trying to keep strong ft% and need a big, at least for blocks (cause he doesn't rebound for s---), then he shouldn't be overlooked. 

for reference, people hype Allen for days, but does anyone really see Allen beating that ceiling you posted there? hard to see it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, richg24 said:

this is pretty much what people expect now out of myles turner except a bunch more blocks and less 3s. if this is the case and these numbers are realistic than Brolo is severely underrated right now. I don't really want him just because I have owned him 4 out of the last 5 seasons, so I am tired of him...but if you are trying to keep strong ft% and need a big, at least for blocks (cause he doesn't rebound for s---), then he shouldn't be overlooked. 

for reference, people hype Allen for days, but does anyone really see Allen beating that ceiling you posted there? hard to see it. 

I feel like BroLo is being underrated this year - mostly because of the way he was handled in LA and that’s really not his fault. (4th quarter benchings and funky rotations). Any concerns people might have about him being too slow to play in a fast offense can be put to rest as he did fine during his last season in BKN.

Brook is a better scorer than Myles as he has shown that he can create for himself posting up, facing up or using his length for lumbering drives that get him to the line.

Allen is overrated this season IMO with regards to where people are willing to draft him; He could have a nice Dieng (top 50 a few seasons ago) like season but i’m not buying into him putting up young Ibaka averages. IMO it’s unlikely that Allen scores in the mid teens and gets to box out stronger, more physical bigs for more than 8 rpg.

People get excited when a young big man can makes his free throws but I guess only time will tell.

• Like 5

I'll also add that I grabbed Brolo at #114 so I doubt I can lose there. BBM predicted him to be a top 65 9cat guy so id you can get him in 90+ you're laughing

• Like 3

I think he’s worth a shot as a flyer but your ceiling numbers aren’t realistic imo.  It is unlikely that he hits over 2 3pg and 2.4 3pg doesn’t make sense if his ceiling his 16 ppg.  That would mean he would get almost half of his scoring from 3s which isn’t typical of his game even if he’s more of a stretch player for the bucks.  12 ppg/6 rpg 1.5 3pg/1.5 bpg is more realistic.  As we all know he doesn’t contribute much of anything in assists or steals.  He’s a positive in all of the efficiency categories or at least he’s not a negative.  So he’s more like Ibaka than any of the other players mentioned.  It’s a bit of a stretch to compare him to Turner as despite having a down year Turner can very realistically get 2 bpg while there’s a snowball chance in hell that BroLo gets 2bpg. The difference between 2bpg and 1.5 bpg is as significant as the difference between 20 ppg and 15 ppg. That said centers are scarce, blocks are scarce, and centers who get blocks while hitting their free throws are scarcer still.  Considering you can get him around round 7 that’s great value, especially considering that a lot of filler centers you can get that late don’t get more than 6 rpg not because they’re poor rebounders like Brolo but simply because they only play 20 mpg.  So I think he’s a great person to take a flyer on but I also think one should temper their expectations.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StifleTower2 said:

I think he’s worth a shot as a flyer but your ceiling numbers aren’t realistic imo.  It is unlikely that he hits over 2 3pg and 2.4 3pg doesn’t make sense if his ceiling his 16 ppg.  That would mean he would get almost half of his scoring from 3s which isn’t typical of his game even if he’s more of a stretch player for the bucks.  12 ppg/6 rpg 1.5 3pg/1.5 bpg is more realistic.  As we all know he doesn’t contribute much of anything in assists or steals.  He’s a positive in all of the efficiency categories or at least he’s not a negative.  So he’s more like Ibaka than any of the other players mentioned.  It’s a bit of a stretch to compare him to Turner as despite having a down year Turner can very realistically get 2 bpg while there’s a snowball chance in hell that BroLo gets 2bpg. The difference between 2bpg and 1.5 bpg is as significant as the difference between 20 ppg and 15 ppg. That said centers are scarce, blocks are scarce, and centers who get blocks while hitting their free throws are scarcer still.  Considering you can get him around round 7 that’s great value, especially considering that a lot of filler centers you can get that late don’t get more than 6 rpg not because they’re poor rebounders like Brolo but simply because they only play 20 mpg.  So I think he’s a great person to take a flyer on but I also think one should temper their expectations.  

He’s averaged 1.7 bpg for his career so i dont see that as unrealistic. If you throw away the season in which he played 5 games - he’s only had 2 seasons under 1.7 (2010-11 and last season which was an absolute mess for him) and he still got 1.5 and 1.3 respectively. (He’s also hit 2.1 bpg once)

The threes could be a bit high but 7.2 (2.4 3PM) / 16 ppg isnt that crazy of a stretch based on how he’s projected to be utilized and how open he’ll be with Giannis and Bledsoe slashing and kicking if someone comes to help. You’re right though around 2 flat would be more realistic.

He’ll most likely average less than his career 4.6 fta since he’ll be playing away from the basket but he should still have a couple of hooks / dunks / lay-ups.

We’re talking about ceilings / best possible  scenarios here so i’m not saying all of this is what he’ll actually do - just the perfect storm for him; all of this is just my opinion ofcourse and I could be wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikhov said:

He’s averaged 1.7 bpg for his career so i dont see that as unrealistic. If you throw away the season in which he played 5 games - he’s only had 2 seasons under 1.7 (2010-11 and last season which was an absolute mess for him) and he still got 1.5 and 1.3 respectively. (He’s also hit 2.1 bpg once)

The threes could be a bit high but 7.2 (2.4 3PM) / 16 ppg isnt that crazy of a stretch based on how he’s projected to be utilized and how open he’ll be with Giannis and Bledsoe slashing and kicking if someone comes to help. You’re right though around 2 flat would be more realistic.

He’ll most likely average less than his career 4.6 fta since he’ll be playing away from the basket but he should still have a couple of hooks / dunks / lay-ups.

We’re talking about ceilings / best possible  scenarios here so i’m not saying all of this is what he’ll actually do - just the perfect storm for him; all of this is just my opinion ofcourse and I could be wrong.

I don’t think it’s wise to evaluate him based on his career averages.  He’s fairly old and the game has moved away from his style of play.  Granted if anyone can adapt to the space and 3 style of offense it’s him.  Even so he put up those numbers as “the man” on the nets so I don’t think it’s likely he will hit the high teens or make more than 2 3pg.  That said it’s hard to go wrong when he’s falling past 100 in a lot of drafts.  I don’t think he’s a guy with a ton of upside to take a flyer on.  Rather I think he’s a guy with a pretty safe floor as I don’t think it’s possible for a guy with his percentages and blocks to finish worse than 100 if he’s healthy and starting. But I’m not too optimistic he’ll return to historical averages either.  

• Like 4

He's going to hit more 3s on the offensive end, while he gets to patrol the paint on the defensive end. He's a good fit for the team as his 3pt shot opens up the paint for a Bledsoe, or Middleton, or Giannis to attack. There's a reason why the Bucks signed a 3pt shooting, shot-blocker. I wouldn't be surprised if he also gets back to averaging 2+ assists again, given a very talented starting unit. 

4 hours ago, PauGaSpurs said:

He's going to hit more 3s on the offensive end, while he gets to patrol the paint on the defensive end. He's a good fit for the team as his 3pt shot opens up the paint for a Bledsoe, or Middleton, or Giannis to attack. There's a reason why the Bucks signed a 3pt shooting, shot-blocker. I wouldn't be surprised if he also gets back to averaging 2+ assists again, given a very talented starting unit. 

I think gone are the days of BroLo averaging much more than a block a game. He just has zero bounce left. He is going to give you efficient, low volume, SG stats with decent blocks instead of steals. Rebounds will stink though for a centre. I doubt they go above last season even with a few more mins.
I expect about:

13.5/4/2/0.3/1.2, 2.0 triples, 1.5 TOs, 45/74%
He'll be serviceable, but there is no way he is breaking out. He is the 5th option on offense and is going to live on the arc to pull opposing centres out of the lane. It'll be interesting how opposing teams combat that and throw good defensive, mobile centres at Giannis and guard BroLo with PFs. But he definitely helps their spacing.

Edited by Jake the snake

19 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

I think gone are the days of BroLo averaging much more than a block a game. He just has zero bounce left. He is going to give you efficient, low volume, SG stats with decent blocks instead of steals. Rebounds will stink though for a centre. I doubt they go above last season even with a few more mins.
I expect about:

13.5/4/2/0.3/1.2, 2.0 triples, 1.5 TOs, 45/74%
He'll be serviceable, but there is no way he is breaking out. He is the 5th option on offense and is going to live on the arc to pull opposing centres out of the lane. It'll be interesting how opposing teams combat that and throw good defensive, mobile centres at Giannis and guard BroLo with PFs. But he definitely helps their spacing.

He was 4 rebounds per game last year with a career low 22 minutes a game.  Give him 25 minutes and he'll be at 5 rebounds.  

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, superjew said:

He was 4 rebounds per game last year with a career low 22 minutes a game.  Give him 25 minutes and he'll be at 5 rebounds.  

I'll go as high as 4.2...lol
But seriously I just seeing him sitting on the arc and we was a pathetic rebounder even before he became just a 3-pt shooting big. And Giannis is going to gobble up a tonne. On the defensive end I expect his rebounding role to be boxing out. It wouldn't suprise me at all if he is closer to 4 than 5 rebounds.

• Like 1