Cdub2k

Mid Season Prospect Rankings Watch

It's that time of year where the All Star Break is right around the corner and the actual mid way point has been surpassed. The next big thing in the prospect world is the mid season rankings. They usually come out in mid July and we are approaching mid July. I'm interested to see what they will look like. Over the past few months in my dynasty league (16 team league with 25 man Minor League roster) I've been piecing together breakout performers. I don't think they'll be making the list but I am intrigued to see if some of my guys I drafted make the list. Guys like Nike Pratto, Hudson Potts, and Ronaldo Hernandez have performed above their expectations. Bryce Wilson has too. 

Well some are already released. Fangraphs has already released theirs, and Baseball America has been updating their top 100 monthly.

2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Well some are already released. Fangraphs has already released theirs, and Baseball America has been updating their top 100 monthly.

I had no idea. I'm a baseball prospectus subscriber and they haven't released their list yet. 

Is Baseball America pay only now? I am not able to view their list

30 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

I had no idea. I'm a baseball prospectus subscriber and they haven't released their list yet. 

Yes, BA has put everything behind the pay wall.. even the hot sheet chats etc. 

46 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

Like AB said, yes behind a paywall now.  I like the updated monthly.  I think they realize now with so many sites (not just them and BP anymore) they need to deliver more content rather than just waiting until season's end to update all teams rankings and top 100.

Like others have mentioned, lots are already out and more are still to come! Fangraphs is out, Baseball America updates monthly, MLB Prospect watch updates monthly slightly but will do a big update with recent MLB draftees at some point, Razzball and Baseball Prospectus will have theirs out sometime soon I would think, Pitcher List has been releasing positional lists all last week and will do a top 150 bats and top 150 arms which come out this week. There are lots more publications too!

Here are two I've found on Reddit fairly recently:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j039UpwDApU6ElreFwaK-6xbp_EsRXNXyA-wvaLOa2Q/edit

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11m59fhAIu7-5N6nm9MLSMShu66nzmiiteM-vmC1VniI/edit#gid=719946736

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fenamo said:

I really like this guy's work. Top 200 with blurbs. 1-20 is released today I believe.

You linked to the top 20 in the Alvarez thread, but I'll re-post the link here to keep the info centralized. Thanks for sharing.

https://prospects-365.com/2018/07/09/ray-butlers-2018-midseason-top-200-prospects-1-20/

Edited by Dark One
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fenamo said:

Good call. He'll probably update the composite tomorrow. 

Is this a "Fantasy" list?

16 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Is this a "Fantasy" list?

I would say this list is fantasy focused in my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Fenamo said:

I would say this list is fantasy focused in my experience.

Agreed - much of the blurb commentary on each player is geared towards fantasy. Save for the huge established prospecting brand names (Fangraphs, Baseball Prospectus, Baseball America), it's the smart way to go in order to drive traffic to your website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sadly dont have the time or technical skills to do this, but it would be cool if someone built a website where prospect rankings were crowd-sourced.  Something like you have to rank-order 25-30 prospects in order to see the compiled results.