EmbargoLifted

Post-hype sleepers 2018

Who are some guys that were high draft picks, freak athletes, young players who flashed tons of potential, that didn't live up to expectations last year/severely disappointed? 

Just curious because when guys like this disappoint they tend to be disregarded the next year and provide for some good potential sleeper picks.

Amari Cooper.  Losing Crabtree and Roberts will improve his TD output.  Gruden will move him around.

Joe Mixon.  Stuck behind Hill much of last year, gets the starting gig and new OL this year.

Corey Davis is a stud who suffered through injuries and awful playcalling last year.

• Like 4

I know Corey Davis will be a popular pick, but I'll throw out Taywan Taylor's name as well.

24 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Amari Cooper.  Losing Crabtree and Roberts will improve his TD output.  Gruden will move him around.

Joe Mixon.  Stuck behind Hill much of last year, gets the starting gig and new OL this year.

Corey Davis is a stud who suffered through injuries and awful playcalling last year.

Would Cooper and and Mixon really be considered sleepers though?

• Like 1

Thus far I think the ADP have done a fairly good job of not letting these guys slip but its still early. A lot of the studs who disappointed are too good to fall much.  Davis and Parker are clear favorites of mine. Sammy Watkins is close but I don't think he is particularly cheap. Jamison Crowder seems like a great bounce back candidate. Jordan Reed's injury concerns are legit but coming off the board as 9th TE I think the price more than justifies the risk for a guy who when healthy is up there with top tier of TE. 

55 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

All of this. Thread Winner.

Posted (edited)

A long with the Lords picks... I'll throw in a couple more

Cooper Kupp (PPR). Goff's favorite target on 3rd downs. Elite vs press coverage in his rookie year. Very underrated Slot WR in a high-powered / quick offense. 
Jay Ajayi. Elite Offense, Elite Talent... mouths to feed, but I believe talent trumps everything and he has the ability to become a Top 10 RB.
Ty Montgomery. A popular RB2 pick in last years draft... he's fully healthy and GB has been praising his offseason work ethic. They're talking about giving him a lot more usage... this was BEFORE Aaron Jones got suspended. Potential for RB2/1.

Edited by ponza88
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Jay Ajayi. Elite Offense, Elite Talent... mouths to feed, but I believe talent trumps everything and he has the ability to become a Top 10 RB.
Ty Montgomery. A popular RB2 pick in last years draft... he's fully healthy and GB has been praising his offseason work ethic. They're talking about giving him a lot more usage... this was BEFORE Aaron Jones got suspended. Potential for RB2/1.

These could be great.  Both certainly failed to live up to the hype last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord_Varys said:

I'm not questioning it as I'm just starting my 2018 FF research but wouldn't Crabtree and Roberts being replaced by JORDY NELSON and Martavias Bryant be similar???

Again I'm just starting and I heard the same thing on a podcast when I went for a walk and all I thought was Jordy Nelson is a Raider now. So maybe they think Jordy is aging, Bryant suspension looming etc... I'm just curious as to why you and also a podcast said loss of Crabtree and nothing about Jordy.

• Like 1

Mitch Trubisky - The hiring of Nagy as head coach has me excited for the Bears for the first time since Lovie Smith was around.

CJ Anderson - He'll have less pressure to perform with Cam and CMC in the mix than he did in Denver (recently)

Josh Gordon -  I think opposing defenses are going to be more concerned with Landry, freeing up Gordon for some potential WR1-caliber games.

Austin Serferian-Jenkins - No Robinson, no Hurns, no problem.  ASJ's cleaned up his act and is ready to catch some balls in Sacksonville.

Robbie Gould - Speaking of the Lovie Smith era in Chi-town, their old kicker is gonna do good work for SF again this season.

Chargers D/ST - They looked good last year, I think they'll look even better this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord_Varys said:

They haven't done anything yet, so I think so.

Guys going in the 3/4th rd are sleepers?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ponza88 said:

A long with the Lords picks... I'll throw in a couple more

Cooper Kupp (PPR). Goff's favorite target on 3rd downs. Elite vs press coverage in his rookie year. Very underrated Slot WR in a high-powered / quick offense. 

Ajayi is overrated. Had 3 good games in Miami and everyone busted a nut over the guy. Trash. 

12 minutes ago, JohnD said:

That's what I was thinking.

Jamison Crowder ~ With Alex Smith working underneath short game and main competition for Targets is injury in waiting Jordan Reed

Jack Doyle ~ Andrew Luck will be looking to get that ball out real quick, his career may depend on it and he'll utilize his security blanket big time. And if a backup comes in, Brissett peppered Doyle with double digit targets.

Latavius Murray ~ there will still be plenty carries to go around. He outplayed McKinnon for my money last year, and I still believe D Cook will need some acclimation time. They also are paying Murray very good money 5.15 mil

7 minutes ago, The Invictus said:

Jamison Crowder ~ With Alex Smith working underneath short game and main competition for Targets is injury in waiting Jordan Reed

Jack Doyle ~ Andrew Luck will be looking to get that ball out real quick, his career may depend on it and he'll utilize his security blanket big time. And if a backup comes in, Brissett peppered Doyle with double digit targets.

Latavius Murray ~ there will still be plenty carries to go around. He outplayed McKinnon for my money last year, and I still believe D Cook will need some acclimation time. They also are paying Murray very good money 5.15 mil

Now those are sleeper picks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Mixon was RB34 last year, and is a post-hype player this year.

Cooper similarly has got a lot of hype but hasn't done dick for owners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turner46 said:

I'm not questioning it as I'm just starting my 2018 FF research but wouldn't Crabtree and Roberts being replaced by JORDY NELSON and Martavias Bryant be similar???

Again I'm just starting and I heard the same thing on a podcast when I went for a walk and all I thought was Jordy Nelson is a Raider now. So maybe they think Jordy is aging, Bryant suspension looming etc... I'm just curious as to why you and also a podcast said loss of Crabtree and nothing about Jordy.

Jordy is washed up.  Martavis is going to be suspended.

Dixon <-----  the Buck stops here. 

DeDe Westbrook - still love this kid's game ... yuuuuge void down there - Lee is going higher, Cole is more of the "deep darling" - but im'ma go "ONETWOTHREEFOUR" with DeeDeeee

32 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Mixon was RB34 last year, and is a post-hype player this year.

Cooper similarly has got a lot of hype but hasn't done dick for owners.

I agree he qualifies as post-hype but not a sleeper as the title of the thread suggests.  He still has hype this year.

Marcus Mariota - new OC getting rid of the "exotic smash mouth".  Corey Davis is healthy so far, which makes an underrated supporting cast of Davis, Matthews and Walker, plus a combo of Henry and Lewis in the backfield.  Hampered by injury last year, should be healthier this year.

Ty Montgomery - excitement last year being the lead back for GB.  Couldn't handle lead back duties.  However, if they use him as a Kamara type of RB - 10-12 carries a game and passing game work, I think he'll last a lot longer and be productive.  The GB offense should be great again with Rodgers, so plenty of opportunities.  Jones is out 2 games so he'll get extra work by default those first weeks.  44th RB off the board right now

Jamison Crowder - last year was supposed to be the monster break out year, but it was not for a few reasons.  Crowder is healthy so far, and paired up with Alex Smith.  Love me some Crowder this year in PPR leagues.  

Randall Cobb - not really "post hype" per se, but I'll take the second option (possibly the first) in an Aaron Rodgers offense at WR40 ADP.

24 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Corey Coleman

Sammy Watkins

Jordan Matthews

Corey Coleman? He's 4th in targets for CLE at best.