DLove

Jonathon Isaac 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Is it that difficult to take more than 4 shots in 26 minutes? Even Bamba shooting more in 16 minutes - sad. 

Oh well, at least he got some stocks tonight...

I don’t own him anywhere nor would I this year.  He’s more of a 2-3 year out dynasty target.  But if you don’t understand why he gets attention-watch the games.

Edited by StifleTower2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

IRL he is their third or fourth best player.  He will be good for fantasy someday, maybe sooner than later.  

Really? Because he looks fine for fantasy now and will only progress as the season goes. 

8 minutes ago, Goku said:

Really? Because he looks fine for fantasy now and will only progress as the season goes. 

I guess that means you think it will be sooner. 

When I said he’s their third best player I was giving him a compliment.  Every team’s third best player is a top 90 player.  

Edited by StifleTower2

As much as I like Isaac, I just don't think he'll be top 100 as long as Gordon is healthy. He's at his best when he plays PF.

Overall I like what I'm seeing. He's a little more involved in the offense. Teammates are looking for him more, and he even gets the ball in the post to go 1v1.

His 3point % is low only about 30% hopefully he can get that up as the season goes on.  1/7 from 3point range tonight but most of the looks were wide open he just needs to knock it down. Whats promising is his ft% is just a shade under 80% so I believe he can be a decent shooter.

Once he gets his 3point % up I think we'll see him eat into Terrence Ross' minutes a little more, because on the defensive side of the ball its no competition. Its just his outside shooting thats holding him back a little. If he goes 2/7 from 3point range tonight his line is 14/4/2/1/1 with 2 3pointers not bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having Isaac and SGA in a team... on a night when they're both decent is just a thing of beauty . . .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Every team’s third best player is a top 90 player.  

This guy maths

• Haha 3

I don't doubt he'll be a good player, but it doesn't seem like he'll be relevant this season.

Just gotta hope the Magic keep losing so that they dump Vucevic and start a youth movement. Isaac is never going to have value at the three. Fournier was out and he still only got 4 shots off lol.

Doesn't help that they don't have a legit PG and Simmons and Ross never really look to pass.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:56 PM, StifleTower2 said:

I guess that means you think it will be sooner. 

When I said he’s their third best player I was giving him a compliment.  Every team’s third best player is a top 90 player.  

That math doesn't add up when Warriors' 5th best player is better than the best player on 10 other teams lol

I believe in Isaac's potential and I think he will be a good player down the road, but fantasy wise there's really no point of keeping him on your roster at the moment. He's basically putting up Dewayne Dedmon / Noah Vonleh stats. You can most likely find guys like Aminu and Jerami Grant in your FA and they will both outproduce him. Just drop him for a productive player right now, let another team pick him up and lose so you move up in standings. You will have more leverage to work with later in the season since you are not on the fringe of playoffs, so you can afford to gamble on him again if the Magic are out of the playoff race and decide to tank.

Too often we fall for these freakish athlete players who are not good basketball players yet, and we torture ourselves holding onto them. Just let them go and pick up players who can actually play basketball (and produce numbers). Chances are you can pick up Isaac again after he's tortured a couple other GMs in your league.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

That math doesn't add up when Warriors' 5th best player is better than the best player on 10 other teams lol

I believe in Isaac's potential and I think he will be a good player down the road, but fantasy wise there's really no point of keeping him on your roster at the moment. He's basically putting up Dewayne Dedmon / Noah Vonleh stats. You can most likely find guys like Aminu and Jerami Grant in your FA and they will both outproduce him. Just drop him for a productive player right now, let another team pick him up and lose so you move up in standings. You will have more leverage to work with later in the season since you are not on the fringe of playoffs, so you can afford to gamble on him again if the Magic are out of the playoff race and decide to tank.

Too often we fall for these freakish athlete players who are not good basketball players yet, and we torture ourselves holding onto them. Just let them go and pick up players who can actually play basketball (and produce numbers). Chances are you can pick up Isaac again after he's tortured a couple other GMs in your league.

I think the problem is that Isaac IS a good basketball player right now, but he doesn't have the role/opportunity to really shine.

If he was on the Suns the guy would be a top 50 player no problem. Maybe higher.

2 hours ago, Eltoro said:

I think the problem is that Isaac IS a good basketball player right now, but he doesn't have the role/opportunity to really shine.

If he was on the Suns the guy would be a top 50 player no problem. Maybe higher.

No, that’s so far from the truth. In Phoenix he won’t even leave the bench. In Orlando he just has to beat out Simmons and Ross for consistent playing time, but wait, he can’t. If he can’t beat out those two, how is he going to leapfrog Warren, Ariza, Bridges, and Josh Jackson?

He doesn’t have any standout basketball skill right now. He is not a good shooter, ball handler, not playmaker. This is why he doesn’t get the oppoetunity - the coach can always find another player other than Isaac who is better at the task he needs done. Need shots created? Vuc, Gordon, and Fournier. Need a screen for P&R? Vuc and Bamba. Need a pin down 3? Fournier and Ross. Need an iso? Isaac can’t even dribble the ball! The only thing elite about him is his agility and size on defense, but even an all world defender needs to be average on offense to stay on the court. 

At this point of his career, even if Magic lost Vuc, Gordon, AND Fournier, they will still park his a** at the corner 3pt line and have him watch Jonathan Simmons initiate offense while hoping the defense doesn’t force the ball Isaaac’s way. 

Isaac is talented but he’s just too raw right now. For every raw player that turned into TMac, Paul George, and Kawhi, we have hundreds more that became Tyrus Thomas, Darius Miles, and Andre Roberson

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

No, that’s so far from the truth. In Phoenix he won’t even leave the bench. In Orlando he just has to beat out Simmons and Ross for consistent playing time, but wait, he can’t. If he can’t beat out those two, how is he going to leapfrog Warren, Ariza, Bridges, and Josh Jackson?

He doesn’t have any standout basketball skill right now. He is not a good shooter, ball handler, not playmaker. This is why he doesn’t get the oppoetunity - the coach can always find another player other than Isaac who is better at the task he needs done. Need shots created? Vuc, Gordon, and Fournier. Need a screen for P&R? Vuc and Bamba. Need a pin down 3? Fournier and Ross. Need an iso? Isaac can’t even dribble the ball! The only thing elite about him is his agility and size on defense, but even an all world defender needs to be average on offense to stay on the court. 

At this point of his career, even if Magic lost Vuc, Gordon, AND Fournier, they will still park his a** at the corner 3pt line and have him watch Jonathan Simmons initiate offense while hoping the defense doesn’t force the ball Isaaac’s way. 

Isaac is talented but he’s just too raw right now. For every raw player that turned into TMac, Paul George, and Kawhi, we have hundreds more that became Tyrus Thomas, Darius Miles, and Andre Roberson

And for that reason, I'm out.

2 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

He was on minutes restrictions twice this season due to injury. His playing time has stabilized to 27mpg over his last seven games. But he is only getting 7 FGA per game due to having ball dominant teammates. 

Remember that Isaac has only played 48 games as a pro, and not continuously. He is also out of position at the three. Watching him play with the bench it is clear that he is a four and should be used as such. But Gordon eats most of the minutes there. 

I don't know how anyone who's watched this kid could compare him to the likes of Darius Miles. He isn't just an athlete, he has great shooting form and terrific instincts/BBIQ. He may not be producing consistently right now but I would be very surprised if this kid doesn't make at least one all star game in his career. He passes the eye test that well.

But as I've said before, it will take either a trade or injuries for him to unlock that potential. 

6 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

I meant I believe him to be a top 100 player in real life.  Fantasy not so much.

Also, there might be some teams with 5 more talented players than Isaac but there are also teams whose best player isn’t much better than Isaac.  Again, talking real life not fantasy.  

Edited by StifleTower2

The Suns tangent is looking at the wing players and that is incorrect. He has to beat out Gordon in Orlando and he has to beat out Warren (who is forced to play the 4), Anderson and Bender in Phoenix. His natural position is the 4. 

He has basketball IQ. He is an elite defender. He does not force shots. By default that makes him better than those busts listed that have low basketball IQ. But whatever, all those dudes played years in the league.

Can we just give the kid more than 82 games to develop. He is long and needs to add some weight still. Dynasty he should be a target to get. Redraft just a luxury stash unless you are deleted with injury. This conversation is on repeat after every bad or good game. The magic got lit up last night. At least hold the conversation when the entire team doesn't get blown out. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eltoro said:

Just gotta hope the Magic keep losing so that they dump Vucevic and start a youth movement. Isaac is never going to have value at the three. Fournier was out and he still only got 4 shots off lol.

Doesn't help that they don't have a legit PG and Simmons and Ross never really look to pass.

Black-Girl-Wat.jpg

• Like 1