DLove

Jonathon Isaac 2018-2019 Season Outlook

He is a late middle rounds/late rounds/end of bench guy with upside so why bother this  early. 

Like i said before the fit in Orlando is not the best with all this ballhogs around him. Blocks and Steals should be coming soon, but i fear his offensive game will leave  much to be desired all year. At least as long as Gordon and/or Fournier are healthy. He doesn't get enough shots. So if you drafted him for PTS or big scoring nights it may be okay to let him go. Cuz he is not that guy...

Edited by Fantasyhero

17 hours ago, OxyBubbleMan said:

He got in foul trouble early and their bench unit made a run. Coach is sticking with what's working for this game.

Yep. He picked up a couple of quick ones. The Magic were down a bunch and the bench closed the gap. The bench (Simmons and Bamba) played really well last night. But, when the Magic needed a stop it was Isaac that got it for them. They trust the kid on defense for sure. 

So I watched the game and these were my takeaways on Isaac. The stats and minutes weren't there, but there is context for that. Isaac defended the 4 on defense and it set him up for rebounds in the paint. That is super encouraging. He helped a few times on defense and didn't get a block, but he altered shots and the blocks will come. This was a weird matchup for Isaac since the Heat had a weird lineup that featured some junk along with Dragic, JRich and Whiteside. Once the Heat put in Bam they stabilized a bit. Overall, most of the offense went through the backcourt so Isaac didn't have many opportunities to imprint the defensive columns. He boarded better than I expected. He had deflected a couple balls, but the Heat recovered so no steals. On offense he pulled the trigger with no hesitation on a 3. But Gordon was feeling it and really looked to get his. Fournier was in a zone for a minute in the 2Q and was bombing. Isaac just didn't get the opportunity. It will come though....Gordon did most of his damage on jumpers and a lot of them difficult shots. When his shot isn't falling they will run offense elsewhere. Isaac did have a fearless drive that he converted. Obviously, the minutes need to get up, but I am pretty confident they will. I can't believe I have to say this after 1 game, but patience. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SirMixalot said:

Man, TRoss put up the kind of line that I was hoping I'd get from Isaac...

TRoss blocked 2 consecutive Whiteside shots in a scrum....outliers will even out over time. 

Wow..I miss rw. One game and people are jumping ship.

Perspective fellas,

Kemba scored 41 last night. Bjelica will finish top 10 at this current one game production.

Mistake to let go of Isaac. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, tremixt said:

Perspective fellas,

Kemba scored 41 last night. Bjelica will finish top 10 at this current one game production.

In my league everyone was s--- talking him. So I’m hoping he’s left in the fa pool until he gets going. I grabbed ariza in hopes of trading him later if he’s solid

12 minutes ago, tremixt said:

Perspective fellas,

It is absolutely amazing that people are already moving on from Isaac. I don't understand. In seriousness, to those that dropped, did you know the context of last night's game? Did you watch the game? Did you invest a decent pick in Isaac? Or was he just end of the draft fodder for you? Seriously trying to understand the rush to cut. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Walk with me said:

In my league everyone was s--- talking him. So I’m hoping he’s left in the fa pool until he gets going. I grabbed ariza in hopes of trading him later if he’s solid

Ariza isn't a good player to hold as trade bait. Isaac is, if you wanted to a player to trade later on in the season. Isaac has the upside, and unless theres an injury, his minutes should increase and stabilize as the season progresses. Ariza on the other hand has tank and shut down looming. Unless he plays out of his mind, you're not going to get anything good for him. 

Theres no difference in a player having one dud game in January compared to a dud game on Oct 17th. He's going to have several more, balanced out by several solid outings.

The expectations are almost always overblown and ridiculous, especially by those who have admitted they dropped him. 

Edited by tremixt
  • Thanks 1

Some impatient bozo already dropped him in one of my money leagues and I have first pick on the waiver. Upside is intriguing but I don't know. 

40 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

TRoss blocked 2 consecutive Whiteside shots in a scrum....outliers will even out over time. 

Yeah, no worries, it was just an observation, not saying TRoss is going to suddenly be better. I'm from Toronto, so I know the kind of inconsistency he brings.

But back to Isaac...

I was super high on Isaac last year but his various injuries were frustrating. Orlando's young guys are intriguing though. One question since you watched the game: Is there a chance that he concedes some of those defensive stats to Bamba? Like, what's the potential that he's one of those good defenders who plays good position defense but unfortunately doesn't get obscene stocks numbers? Guys like Klay Thompson and PJ Tucker are good defenders but don't have the gaudy numbers to show for it...

18 minutes ago, HarmStrong said:

Some impatient bozo already dropped him in one of my money leagues and I have first pick on the waiver. Upside is intriguing but I don't know. 

Just do it.

7 minutes ago, SirMixalot said:

Yeah, no worries, it was just an observation, not saying TRoss is going to suddenly be better. I'm from Toronto, so I know the kind of inconsistency he brings.

But back to Isaac...

I was super high on Isaac last year but his various injuries were frustrating. Orlando's young guys are intriguing though. One question since you watched the game: Is there a chance that he concedes some of those defensive stats to Bamba? Like, what's the potential that he's one of those good defenders who plays good position defense but unfortunately doesn't get obscene stocks numbers? Guys like Klay Thompson and PJ Tucker are good defenders but don't have the gaudy numbers to show for it...

I have been thinking about this and here is my take (let me know if I am not explaining it properly)....Whiteside blocks A LOT of shots as a primary defender. His guy goes to shoot, Whiteside elects to use his go-go gadget arms and shot is blocked. This happened last night on Gordon. I think Isaac is that type of a guy that has the potential to rise up, extend the go-go gadget arms and block the shot of the guy he is defending. That said, I was super excited about Isaac guarding the 4 because on occasions he will be in the paint and could help on defense. Stretch 4's and 5's are so common that there will be days he has more opportunities and less opportunities. But the important thing is that he is a really, really good defender, is really long, and goes straight up and doesn't foul very often on block attempts. He got called for a foul on Dragic last night where he blocked his floater from behind and it was really close to being clean (hit Goran's head with his other arm). 

Klay and Tucker don't have the physical attributes of Isaac. His length and lateral movement make his defensive potential off the charts. He literally locked down JRich on a drive at the end of the game to seal the win and it wasn't even close. He just shut down the baseline on Miami's most explosive offensive player. Bamba is going to play the 5 mostly. When he splits with Vuc I am sure they will do it based on matchup. The Magic need to sort out what the 1, 2, 3 are with Bamba/Vuc on the court. I don't know what Bamba is yet, but I don't think he impacts Isaac too much. Let me know if that answers your question. 

46 minutes ago, tremixt said:

Ariza isn't a good player to hold as trade bait. Isaac is, if you wanted to a player to trade later on in the season. Isaac has the upside, and unless theres an injury, his minutes should increase and stabilize as the season progresses. Ariza on the other hand has tank and shut down looming. Unless he plays out of his mind, you're not going to get anything good for him. 

Theres no difference in a player having one dud game in January compared to a dud game on Oct 17th. He's going to have several more, balanced out by several solid outings.

The expectations are almost always overblown and ridiculous, especially by those who have admitted they dropped him. 

I actually dropped him before the game, when I saw that Siakam was starting. But I'm in a non-category points league, and he was my 13th round pick. So it's not like much was invested there. Another league I dropped him for Osman.  Pretty easy choice there

1 minute ago, thezing1 said:

I have been thinking about this and here is my take (let me know if I am not explaining it properly)....Whiteside blocks A LOT of shots as a primary defender. His guy goes to shoot, Whiteside elects to use his go-go gadget arms and shot is blocked. This happened last night on Gordon. I think Isaac is that type of a guy that has the potential to rise up, extend the go-go gadget arms and block the shot of the guy he is defending. That said, I was super excited about Isaac guarding the 4 because on occasions he will be in the paint and could help on defense. Stretch 4's and 5's are so common that there will be days he has more opportunities and less opportunities. But the important thing is that he is a really, really good defender, is really long, and goes straight up and doesn't foul very often on block attempts. He got called for a foul on Dragic last night where he blocked his floater from behind and it was really close to being clean (hit Goran's head with his other arm). 

Klay and Tucker don't have the physical attributes of Isaac. His length and lateral movement make his defensive potential off the charts. He literally locked down JRich on a drive at the end of the game to seal the win and it wasn't even close. He just shut down the baseline on Miami's most explosive offensive player. Bamba is going to play the 5 mostly. When he splits with Vuc I am sure they will do it based on matchup. The Magic need to sort out what the 1, 2, 3 are with Bamba/Vuc on the court. I don't know what Bamba is yet, but I don't think he impacts Isaac too much. Let me know if that answers your question. 

Yup.. makes sense. I've seen him play limited minutes last year, and watched a couple of Summer League games where I came away very impressed by the strides he's made. To be fair, it's Summer League and the competition is dreadful, but he and Bamba were in good form. But during SL, IIRC he was playing more of the 3, and I honestly like seeing him play the 3 on defense because I think he can surprise a lot of those scorers with his length, athleticism and timing. I envision him getting up on smaller 3+D type wings, but also being the type of guy who can deflect entry passes or disrupt pick and pop/roll type plays with his length.

I'm asking for Crash 2.0 but that's obviously a long way off :blink:

2 minutes ago, SirMixalot said:

Yup.. makes sense. I've seen him play limited minutes last year, and watched a couple of Summer League games where I came away very impressed by the strides he's made. To be fair, it's Summer League and the competition is dreadful, but he and Bamba were in good form. But during SL, IIRC he was playing more of the 3, and I honestly like seeing him play the 3 on defense because I think he can surprise a lot of those scorers with his length, athleticism and timing. I envision him getting up on smaller 3+D type wings, but also being the type of guy who can deflect entry passes or disrupt pick and pop/roll type plays with his length.

I'm asking for Crash 2.0 but that's obviously a long way off :blink:

It really isn't as far off as you think....Gordon and Isaac are flip-flopping the 3 and 4 on offense/defense. I could argue that Isaac and Gordon play like wings. You can probably make a case that there are less traditional 4's than "wing 4s". He will be fine. Game 1 of a long season. It will all average out in the end. Health and a trend up in minutes is really all I am looking for at this time. 

• Like 1

started how i expected. hype and let down however all it takes is that one nasty stat line for everyone to go rushing for him. might be a rollercoaster

y'all have 0 patience. Gotta give the guy some time. Yeah things don't look very promising, given how Mo played next to Vucevic, but I would imagine they will start playing Mo next to Isaac slowly more 

its only one game and someone already explained the reason why he only play such low mins first game. For all those GMs that want to drop him now i am curious what players are on their WW that is worth the drop. However, i hope gms in my leagues drop him so i can pick him up and wait to see what kind of season he has , if he pull a Prince or J-rich type of season from last year its a win for me.

Edited by ber

37 minutes ago, ber said:

its only one game and someone already explained the reason why he only play such low mins first game. For all those GMs that want to drop him now i am curious what players are on their WW that is worth the drop. However, i hope gms in my leagues drop him so i can pick him up and wait to see what kind of season he has , if he pull a Prince or J-rich type of season from last year its a win for me.

From what ive seen its Boban and monk types people are wavering over whether to drop Isaac for

i dropped him for osman. i ve watched the orlando game and though i liked isaac on the time he was on the floor but i believe that the turk will have more usage on cleveland's offense. I am  in a point league so that's my main priority...

1 minute ago, fantasias3 said:

i dropped him for osman. i ve watched the orlando game and though i liked isaac on the time he was on the floor but i believe that the turk will have more usage on cleveland's offense. I am  in a point league so that's my main priority...

That's a no brainer... If Cedi is available in any 12-team league, someone is dropping the ball, and it shouldn't be you. Dude is gonna have so much usage and opportunity, and his size and skillset is good, especially on a team that's lacking identity right now. And if Love gets injured again then he's in line for even more touches.

18 hours ago, tremixt said:

Perspective fellas,

This would even be jumping the gun in fantasy football. Don't talk them out of it. They deserve for it to blow up in their face. It's an educational moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He will obviously go through some growing pains. Isaac hasn't played significant minutes of regular season ball meaning he has to adjust a lot on how to play defense. If you can hold or time your add right, he could reward you with significant stocks after the first few weeks as long as Clifford keeps the faith.