AirForceOne

First Round Rookie Bust - 2018 Edition

1st Round Rookie Busts - 2018 Edition  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1st round rookie has the highest potential for bust?

• Baker Mayfield
    • Saquon Barkley
    • Sam Darnold
    • Josh Allen
    • Josh Rosen
    • DJ Moore
    • Hayden Hurst
    • Calvin Ridley
    • Rashaad Penny
    • Sony Michel
    • Lamar Jackson

6 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

He is too dumb to be an NFL QB

:lol:

On 7/9/2018 at 2:06 PM, P@ckersFan said:

Because not all busts are created equal I gotta go with Mayfield. No player selected No. 1 overall should not be the week 1 starter the following year barring injury. He has a major hurdle to climb with Tyrod, a great locker room guy, who doesn't make too many mistakes, in front of him. 

That’s pretty funny coming from a Packers fan.  A. Rodgers supposedly looked completely lost as a rookie...

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

And Dan Marino. And Jim Kelly. And Terry Bradshaw.

Different era...

Sometimes good coaching and effort can make up for lack of intelligence.   I hope that’s the case with Jackson, but it does make long term success suspect in today’s NFL.  The Raven’s style of play makes Jackson more promising than just about anywhere else...

I do think 99% of the time QBs need above average intelligence.  That was one thing that J. Allen has... unfortunately accuracy is #1 in importance.

It’s interesting so may dislike Mayfield... I think it’s a character grade, rather than what he’s shown on the field.

7 hours ago, cdd10 said:

:lol:

Was dead serious.

12 hours ago, seanismorris said:

That’s pretty funny coming from a Packers fan.  A. Rodgers supposedly looked completely lost as a rookie...

Rodgers was the No. 24 overall pick, not No. 1. He was brought in to sit behind a Future Hall of Famer for a few years, which he did. 

21 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

He is too dumb to be an NFL QB

And what exactly are you basing this off of?  The Wonderlic?  

3 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

For most people they judge the manner in which he speaks. I don’t personally believe he’s that unintelligent. But he does struggle a bit with some awkward interviews and stumbling particularly early in his career

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, smeeze said:

I don't think it's too early for some of these ones:

2014: Eric Ebron, Johnny Manziel

2015: Kevin White, Breshad Perriman, Phillip Dorsett

2016: Laquon Treadwell

2 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Listening to him talk, scouting reports, the Wonderlic.

It's not like I'm the only one with this opinion.

35 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I agree.

Jackson’s language skills aren’t great.  His Wonderlic score reenforced the perception of low intelligence.

But he’s at or near the top in physical skills.  I think he was drafted appropriately.  I have a hard time thinking he’ll be worse than post Super Bowl Flacco.  

No bust.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Peyton Manning scored a 28 on the Wonderlic which is rather average...then went on to be one of the best ever. so who knows. 

Edited by cdd10

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

Peyton Manning scored a 28 on the Wonderlic which is rather average...then went on to be one of the best ever. so who knows. 

average for QB is more like 24, so 28 is pretty good no?

https://footballiqscore.com/what-is-a-good-score-on-the-nfl-wonderlic-test

What is a Good Score on the NFL Wonderlic Test

Depending on the position a player wishes to hold within a team, the minimum score desired can float up or down a few points, but the average is around 21 points, consistent with an average intelligence, and a complete competence and readiness to get on the field. Certain positions require higher scores than others; such as Quarterback and Offensive Tackle, which average 24 and 26 points, respectively. For most players, a score anywhere within a few points of 20 can be considered good, and shouldn’t hold them back in their efforts to pursue a career in the NFL. With that, NFL coaches and scouts can be somewhat wary of players with scores that are too high, since their higher than average intelligence might possess them to challenge authority, break the rules, and generally engage in misconduct when compared to players with lower, more average scores.

Edited by Members_Only_76

15 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

average for QB is more like 24, so 28 is pretty good no?

https://footballiqscore.com/what-is-a-good-score-on-the-nfl-wonderlic-test

What is a Good Score on the NFL Wonderlic Test

Depending on the position a player wishes to hold within a team, the minimum score desired can float up or down a few points, but the average is around 21 points, consistent with an average intelligence, and a complete competence and readiness to get on the field. Certain positions require higher scores than others; such as Quarterback and Offensive Tackle, which average 24 and 26 points, respectively. For most players, a score anywhere within a few points of 20 can be considered good, and shouldn’t hold them back in their efforts to pursue a career in the NFL. With that, NFL coaches and scouts can be somewhat wary of players with scores that are too high, since their higher than average intelligence might possess them to challenge authority, break the rules, and generally engage in misconduct when compared to players with lower, more average scores.

Josh Allen scored a 37 lol

9 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

Josh Allen scored a 37 lol

well then he's a sure fire HOF'r, haha.

• Like 1

And Ryan Fitzpatrick scored one of the highest scores ever.  And Marino only scored two points higher than Lamar.  So it's clearly a very solid determining factor of how successful you're going to be in the NFL.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

And Ryan Fitzpatrick scored one of the highest scores ever.  And Marino only scored two points higher than Lamar.  So it's clearly a very solid determining factor of how successful you're going to be in the NFL.

The Wonderlic is a sign of intelligence, but that doesn't mean it translates to QB-play. There aren't a lot of recent successes with poor scores though.

1 hour ago, cdd10 said:

That is more than twice Lamar's score, really reaching there.

1 hour ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Bet you 100 internet dollars Fitzmagic has a better career than Lamar.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

Bet you 100 internet dollars Fitzmagic has a better career than Lamar.

done.

37 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

done.

I hope I'm wrong tbh. Lamar is fun to watch. Just not seeing it. 

Sidenote, I wonder how many games people have actually watched Allen play that have such strong feelings on him?

• Like 1