ST. STEVEN

Gavin Lux - SS/2B LAD

Overdue for a thread. 1st rounder in 2016 from Kenosha, WI (#OnWisco).

Lux developed fine instincts as he grew up around the game. When his tools improved across the board as a high school senior, he became the first shortstop drafted in 2016 (20th overall) and signed for $2,314,500.

Rough-ish learning season last year, but added a ton of strength last winter and retooled his swing. 6'2" and solid 190.

Crushing it in High-A ball this year (missed about 2-3 weeks of games with muscle strain).

Overall at .319/.396/.509 for a .905 OPS with 9 HR...needs to work on his base stealing, but he has plenty of raw speed and arm/glove to stay at SS.

He's top 50 material for me, and seems to be popping up in the back half of a few updated lists lately.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Overdue for a thread. 1st rounder in 2016 from Kenosha, WI (#OnWisco).

Lux developed fine instincts as he grew up around the game. When his tools improved across the board as a high school senior, he became the first shortstop drafted in 2016 (20th overall) and signed for $2,314,500.

Rough-ish learning season last year, but added a ton of strength last winter and retooled his swing. 6'2" and solid 190.

Crushing it in High-A ball this year (missed about 2-3 weeks of games with muscle strain).

Overall at .319/.396/.509 for a .905 OPS with 9 HR...needs to work on his base stealing, but he has plenty of raw speed and arm/glove to stay at SS.

He's top 50 material for me, and seems to be popping up in the back half of a few updated lists lately.

Thanks for the write-up S.S.  Thoughts on whether or not he could get moved off SS?  Lots can happen, I know, including him being moved in a deal for Machado or someone else at the deadline.  He's still a couple years away, but provided he stays in the organization, it would seem Seager is likely to stay at short (unless Lux is a superior defender?) so if he's moved does he have enough bat for 3B/OF, or would he be more likely to move to 2B do you think?

On 7/10/2018 at 7:36 PM, BigPapi44 said:

Thanks for the write-up S.S.  Thoughts on whether or not he could get moved off SS?  Lots can happen, I know, including him being moved in a deal for Machado or someone else at the deadline.  He's still a couple years away, but provided he stays in the organization, it would seem Seager is likely to stay at short (unless Lux is a superior defender?) so if he's moved does he have enough bat for 3B/OF, or would he be more likely to move to 2B do you think?

I think he'll get a pretty good opp to stay on SS, he'd be an awesome 2B for sure...he's a no doubt MI imo

3-5 last night with his 10th HR of season.

I am 70% certain he'd be in a package for Machado...which would only increase his value imo

• Thanks 1

Gavin Lux in the Texas League (AA) playoffs is hitting .429 with 2BB, 5 doubles, and a HR in 5 games.  3 multi hit games in a row.  The 20 year old is leading off in a pretty stacked lineup with Keibert Ruiz and DJ Peters.

On 9/11/2018 at 11:47 AM, FouLLine said:

Gavin Lux in the Texas League (AA) playoffs is hitting .429 with 2BB, 5 doubles, and a HR in 5 games.  3 multi hit games in a row.  The 20 year old is leading off in a pretty stacked lineup with Keibert Ruiz and DJ Peters.

Leads off tonight with a HR.

This guy was named as MLB's minor league All Star SS and he barely has a page going here...

we are talking a top 10 prospect folks

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 9:09 PM, bigbossman said:

This guy was named as MLB's minor league All Star SS and he barely has a page going here...

we are talking a top 10 prospect folks

Top 10 in the Majors? No.

Top 10 in the Dodgers system? Yes. Probably Top 5 

Ya, I don't think Lux is a top 10 prospect yet.  On real prospect lists, he has emerged on many top 100's.  Arguably on fantasy lists where defence is not a priority, he would rank a lot higher.  There is some debate that he will move off SS to 2B, which would put more pressure on his bat, which is why I believe he is not higher on those non-fantasy top 100's.   Presuming he will start at AA next year, which if he continues on the same path as this year would put him on the verge of a call-up potentially at some point next season.

Are his severe struggles versus lefties going to limit his fantasy value, especially given how platoon happy the Dodgers are?

I guess for truly special talents like Seager and Bellinger they let them play through their issues with lefties a good amount, but is Lux really going to justify similiar treatment?

1 hour ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Are his severe struggles versus lefties going to limit his fantasy value, especially given how platoon happy the Dodgers are?

I guess for truly special talents like Seager and Bellinger they let them play through their issues with lefties a good amount, but is Lux really going to justify similiar treatment?

Dodgers valued him high enough, apparently, that they did not want to include him the package to the O's for Machado.  Obviously, Lux is going to have to make some adjustments.  In terms of fantasy value though, have to bet on the talent and who knows if he even remains a Dodger long-term.  Much can happen such that worrying about a place for him because of being blocked or how they will utilize him may be irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Weekday Warrior said:

I like Lux a bunch but he is not in that class of prospect either...

The same handed struggles are a red flag...as they tend to be with lefty hitters. Here are some numbers:

2018 HighA v LH .230/.288/.328 in 61 ABs (1 HR)

after promo to AA: .217/.250/.217 in very SSS of 23 ABs

2017 in first full season of pro ball: .165/.250/.217 in 115 ABs...

It's UGLY, but it's not like he saw a bunch of HS lefties here in Wisco, we need to see some improvement this year in AA though...or it's Platoon City

4-5 today with 2 2Bs and a HR (already his 10th of the year).  More importantly, he is hitting LHP much better so far this season.

• Like 1

Any chance he gets called up with Seager out?

9 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Any chance he gets called up with Seager out?

He is no longer really a SS.

Where will he play once he gets the call up? Seager will be returning fairly soon I'm assuming, and that SS position is all his.

This guy looks like the second Coming of Derek Jeter

• Like 1

Any word how Lux is doing down in AAA?

24 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Any word how Lux is doing down in AAA?

4/7, 3R, 2 2B, 2 BB, 1K

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, phily915 said:

4/7, 3R, 2 2B, 2 BB, 1K

Hit a bomb to lead off the game today.

• Thanks 1

4-6 tonight, 2 doubles, HR.  Guy is on an absolute tear.

• Like 1

While it is only three games, his AAA line is .615/.667/1.154 - ridiculous.  

He likely the super ball! Kid is legit and you know it when the dodgers would not part with him in any package...OnWisconsin!

• Like 1