ST. STEVEN

Gavin Lux - SS/2B LAD

53 minutes ago, cizastro said:

I don't see him getting as many SB's as Utley, but I think the bat could definitely play.

Utley didn't really have that many SB's though - only one season above 20 and no other above 16. His career 162 game average for SB's was 13. I think Lux has more power potential than Utley and also a better overall hit tool. That said, I haven't seen too many players with better instincts and feel for the game than Chase Utley - that man was a true gamer.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bigbossman said:

Prime Utley 

Size-wise/build and left-handed 2Bman with power, Utley is a good call.  Obviously, this would be quite incredible if Lux has that kind of career, but I agree that his upside is that of a 30+HR with a high average guy that would look good hitting in front of Bellinger.

• Like 1

Seems like an IL stint for Kike would  get this party started, right?

37 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Seems like an IL stint for Kike would  get this party started, right?

Couldn't hurt...unless your name is Kike.

Posted (edited)

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said Saturday that Enrique Hernandez (wrist) will be placed on the injured list either Sunday or Monday. 
src: Jorge Castillo

I just read Lux wouldn't be an option here.  Of course, right after I posted the post above.

Source: same guy above, Jorge Castillo

Edited by Z06vette

Is the rule that a player called up in September is not eligible for the postseason roster still in existence? If it is I have to believe Gavin will get called up this month. I think the Dodgers have to envision him playing a role in their postseason or at least they have to find out if he can be.

• Thanks 1

3 for 5 last night. Average in 118 at bats at AAA is .458. His OPS actually went down some after last night to 1.392. I’d say he’s ready.

4 hours ago, meh2 said:

Is the rule that a player called up in September is not eligible for the postseason roster still in existence?

The rule is that if you're not on the 40 man roster by 12:00 AM September 1 EST then you're ineligible for postseason play. Lux currently is not on the 40 man, so he would need to be added to that prior to September - he doesn't necessarily need to be called up (added to the 25 man active roster) before then, and can then be used at will by the big league club in September once the active roster expands (in theory he wouldn't need to play in any games at the MLB level at all to be eligible for postseason play, though obviously it wouldn't make much sense to not let him get some experience playing at the MLB level before determining if they want to use him in the playoffs or not).

Once the playoffs begin, each team must submit a 25 man active roster before each round, no mixing and matching from the 40 man at that time unless there is an injury. So if Lux indeed is on the 25 man when the playoffs begin, someone like Chris Taylor, Kiké Hernandez or even Jedd Gyorko (close to returning and could be a thorn in the side of Lux owners) will need to be left off.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Baur10 said:

#freeGavin

Seriously...the only problem is that Muncy and Bellinger make them so versatile that they can maneuver around a few injuries. I would hope Lux gets the call if there is another injury, but who knows. Either way Lux should be forcing the issue next year with a great spring...but even then we probably won't see him until May. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Seriously...the only problem is that Muncy and Bellinger make them so versatile that they can maneuver around a few injuries. I would hope Lux gets the call if there is another injury, but who knows. Either way Lux should be forcing the issue next year with a great spring...but even then we probably won't see him until May. 

Good point. Just have to hope that the versatility also will allow Lux the path to 2B (which he has played a bunch in recent weeks)...

33 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Yeah it's a real shame. I've got my eye on a bunch of exciting prospects right now but he's absolutely demolishing AAA in a way that puts the rest to shame. .452/.537/.841. 15.4% BB. 16.8% K. 229 wRC+.  The epitome of "nothing left to prove".

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Verdugo to the IL. Can this happen?

I don't think it is happening. It is a matter of the 40 man roster. I think it has to be a very significant injury or the Dodgers just start losing a lot of games. 

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Verdugo to the IL. Can this happen?

Gotta wait until the "It's Happening" GIF Guy makes an appearance...then you'll know

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

This is not the kind of news I was hoping for....

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

This is not the kind of news I was hoping for....

While I definitely don't like the idea of him just sitting on a bench, I also cannot believe he wouldn't be playing in AAA games at the very least. I don't think they would want their top prospect to simply sit. Although I don't know where his AAA team is in the standings, I do know the championship is something like Sept. 17th so if they're not eliminated, if Lux comes up to simply "take things in" then that's really stupid. I'm still stashing. September isn't too far.

2 minutes ago, nlm said:

While I definitely don't like the idea of him just sitting on a bench, I also cannot believe he wouldn't be playing in AAA games at the very least. I don't think they would want their top prospect to simply sit. Although I don't know where his AAA team is in the standings, I do know the championship is something like Sept. 17th so if they're not eliminated, if Lux comes up to simply "take things in" then that's really stupid. I'm still stashing. September isn't too far.

They're at the bottom of the standings - no playoffs. OKC's season ends on September 2nd, so they could easily have him "interning" the majority of September if they go that route. Jedd Gyorko is currently on a rehab assignment with OKC and will likely be a name that blocks Lux as they try to see what they have in Gyorko. Kiké Hernandez and Chris Taylor are also nearing rehab assignments. I personally wouldn't stash in redrafts unless there's simply no one worthy on the wire and you have the bench or NA space.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I wouldn't stash in redraft unless you play in an extremely deep league. 

But for dynasty leagues... he's up there with Wander Franco, Jo Adell, and Luis Robert for the best fantasy prospects in baseball. Definitely somewhere in that top 4 at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something to consider as he continues to obliterate AAA pitching. Not saying he’s not a very good prospect. But this MUST be factored in. 

14 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Something to consider as he continues to obliterate AAA pitching. Not saying he’s not a very good prospect. But this MUST be factored in. 

Dang, I was certain he was going to be a .430 hitter for the Dodgers. This is going to be tough to stomach.