Sign in to follow this  
ponza88

TRADE! My B. Cooks + L. Miller for his Watkins + J.Gordon (PPR)

Hi everyone,

I got a trade alert this morning, a fellow manager in one of my PPR leagues wants to trade his Watkins + Gordon for my Cooks + Miller

Here is my team:

QB: Brees, Smith
WR: Thomas, Hilton, Jones Jr, Cooks, Moore, Golladay
RB: Kamara, Mixon, Collins, Miller, Montgomery

TE: Burton
DEF: Rams
K: Elliot

We start 2 WR's, 2 RB's and 1 FLEX...

At first glance, I see my RB's a little thin after Collins... but, RB's tend to emerge during the season on waiver. Gordon + Watkins offer much more upside / higher ceilings... which would make my team more explosive with more options in FLEX... (I think?)

Please let me know your thoughts, any advice is appreciated.

You need Miller more than 2 more WR, so pass.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

You need Miller more than 2 more WR, so pass.

What if you were to employ a Handcuff strategy... like picking up Breida & Gore as fliers? Would that help offset the RB Depth?

Edited by ponza88

Depends how you view your team vs the rest of your league. Staying put is the safe move and keeps you 4 deep at WR and RB which allows you to exploit matchups and protect against injuries (especially to RB who are the ones who tend to get injured). Doing the trade has the higher upside but leaves you potentially vulnerable at RB especially if Mixon doesn't improve much from last year. I'd probably do it since playing it safe isn't fun and with your streaky WR you can play matchups to hopefully limit their volatility (or go crazy as you always start the wrong one).  

• Like 1

I'd do it.  I think your team is in trouble at WR.   I believe Watkins and Cooks have similar seasons.   Gordon could be a bust but he could also be a top 5 receiver.

It's a gamble but I think it gives you a better chance at winning.

• Like 1

I'd hesitate to accept that offer. I'd rather have Miller considering your RB depth without him gets incredibly thin.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

I'd hesitate to accept that offer. I'd rather have Miller considering your RB depth without him gets incredibly thin.

Agree with his RB depth but if he stands pat, I don't think he has much chance to be anything better than average.

Adding Gordon and Watkins gives him significantly more upside.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Agree with his RB depth but if he stands pat, I don't think he has much chance to be anything better than average.

Adding Gordon and Watkins gives him significantly more upside.  

Yeah, Gordon/Watkins definitely gives his team an upside boost, however, is it worth the risk of leaving his team dangerously thin at RB in a 10-team league? I guess if he goes through with the trade, he could scour the wire for handcuffs that weren't drafted and pray that they pan out, but is that really an optimal strategy?

1 minute ago, FlashGordon401 said:

Yeah, Gordon/Watkins definitely gives his team an upside boost, however, is it worth the risk of leaving his team dangerously thin at RB in a 10-team league? I guess if he goes through with the trade, he could scour the wire for handcuffs that weren't drafted and pray that they pan out, but is that really an optimal strategy?

If we only start 2 RB's, does it really matter?

If it's a 10-team that only starts 2 RB's in a PPR... won't there be plenty of waiver options after week 2-3?

Wouldn't Kamara and a mixture of Mixon + Collins, be enough for the RB2 spot, until one emerges, or I find another solid RB from the WW? 

11 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

I think it's a risk he has to take.   He'd be putting himself in a position to win.  Otherwise, I don't think his team will make the playoffs.  

But yeah, the running back situation would be dicey.   But if either Kamara or Mixon goes down and he needs another RB , then I don't think it matters.  

I love MIller but I don't think he''d have the upside this team is going to need.

In a 10 team, maybe Dixon is available so he can protect himself if Collins isn't the guy.  

Also, I like Watkins better than Cooks.   If I remember correctly, Cooks has one of the toughest schedules relating to the top CB.

He plays like 4 of the top 5 cover corners.  And 12 of the top 20.

Or something like that.

And the Chiefs said they were going to move Watkins all over the field.   I don't think he's just a decoy.   And he's a better route runner than Hill.   Plus the money they paid him.   I think he'll get his chance.

• Thanks 1

I accepted the trade.

Thanks @K197040

I'm a player that naturally loves High-Ceiling type of teams. I don't mind scouring the wire for stable production, as long as most of my other guys can have Top 10 weeks.

• Like 1

QB: Brees
WR: Thomas, Hilton,
RB: Kamara, Mixon

FLEX: Gordon

This would be a great starting team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

QB: Brees
WR: Thomas, Hilton,
RB: Kamara, Mixon

FLEX: Gordon

This would be a great starting team.

I got another trade I'm working on...

Team offered:
Watson + Edelman + Zuerlein 

For

Brees + Thomas + Elliot

I'm going to counter with:
Brees + Thomas + Elliot + Moore

For his:
Watson + Hopkins + Zuerlein

This will free up a slot. What would you do?

3 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Team offered:

For

Brees + Thomas + Elliot

For his:

I wouldn't take the first offer.   Watson was great last year but it was a small sample size.   Brees should have positive TD regression this year.  

Watson should have better numbers but not enough to justify Thomas for Edelman.

And I don't think there's anyway he's going to add Hopkins on his side. 

I would have accepted the Gordon trade too.

id also do the revised 2nd trade with Watson and Hopkins but I don't think he will accept

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ponza88 said:

Team offered:

For

Brees + Thomas + Elliot

For his:

Okay but you are in a 10 team league man so if you want upgrades you have to pay MORE since waiver wire replacement value is there for anyone to use and it being a 10 team league, there are adequate replacements.

I don't understand how you think you can trade trade up from Brees to Watson (Watson drafted higher) and M. Thomas to Hopkins (Hopkins drafted higher), using DJ Moore as essentially his cost for dealing away his better players. I like Moore too, but 10 team league... That's bottom tier WR in that league size since you are only have to start 2. Having the start 2 WR instead of start 3 wr devalues your Moore addition so back to the drawing board for a more reasonable offer. I hope you didn't send that offer to the Watson owner btw; you would most likely anger him.

1 minute ago, Corey In Da House said:

Okay but you are in a 10 team league man so if you want upgrades you have to pay MORE since waiver wire replacement value is there for anyone to use and it being a 10 team league, there are adequate replacements.

I don't understand how you think you can trade trade up from Brees to Watson (Watson drafted higher) and M. Thomas to Hopkins (Hopkins drafted higher), using DJ Moore as essentially his cost for dealing away his better players. I like Moore too, but 10 team league... That's bottom tier WR in that league size since you are only have to start 2. Having the start 2 WR instead of start 3 wr devalues your Moore addition so back to the drawing board for a more reasonable offer. I hope you didn't send that offer to the Watson owner btw; you would most likely anger him.

You have to pay more because of a smaller league? I don't follow you... I have one bench guy that I rotate / drop every season, on every team... this allows me to pick and choose someone from the Wire, every week until I hit.

The owner who offered me the Watson + Edelman trade is a big NO Fan... 

Watson + Edelman for Brees + Thomas is laughable.

DJ Moore or potentially Galloday, would be a decent sweetener since he's a WR needy team.

4 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

You have to pay more because of a smaller league? I don't follow you... I have one bench guy that I rotate / drop every season, on every team... this allows me to pick and choose someone from the Wire, every week until I hit.

DJ Moore or potentially Galloday, would be a decent sweetener since he's a WR needy team.

Unless he’s very inexperienced, he’s not going to downgrade at QB and WR to pick up someone who he probably won’t normally start.  He’s got Hopkins and Edelman after week 4.  In PPR, that’s solid.  

You’d have to throw in Watkins or Gordon I would think.

Which wouldn’t be bad.  You’d have Hopkins and Hilton at the WR and then Gordon as the flex.  And upgrade your QB.

But I think you’re OK where you’re at after the first trade.  Just be thinking about an RB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Exactly my point. So many guys to be used on the waiver wire. If you want a bigger stud than you already have (Watson to your Brees, Hopkins to your Thomas.), you have to pay up. Someone throwing in a DJ Moore type is what you'd expect in a 14 team league and up, not a 10 teamer.

Be my guest though and offer the trade though, just realize that the 3rd piece HAS to be more valuable than DJ Moore. Just because he is a WR needy team doesn't mean he's going to give you upgrades for a WR4-5.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the valuable input guys. 

I'll stand pat for now... until I see a solid RB that could be traded for.

40 minutes ago, Corey In Da House said:

I hate the people who get angry from trade requests, just laugh it off and decline

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I hate the people who get angry from trade requests, just laugh it off and decline

I find it funny too...

Obviously, I'm not gonna give a great deal in the beginning... but it's a jumping off point. 

Yet those same people who get angry are the ones offering Edelman for Thomas.

Edited by ponza88
  • Like 1

Keep Cooks/Miller. You would take a hit if ya lost the Texans RB. See if you can pry away Gordon/Sammy in a new deal.