afl5013

Amari Cooper or TY Hilton? WHIR!!!

Posted (edited)

Alright, so it's looking like I'm going to be rolling into the draft with Le'veon Bell and Christian Mccaffery, and will end up with Saquon Barkley and Keenan Allen with my first two picks (standard scoring). My next one will most likely be between Amari Cooper and TY Hilton. 

Amari Cooper is now in a system where Gruden has historically fed his #1 WR, with 10 of his 11 WR1's going over 1000 yards. Derek Carr has come to Cooper's defense about his injury last season, and between the targets and connection with his QB, Cooper looks to be lined up for a big season. Add to that the loss of Crabtree and the no-so-great defense.

TY Hilton was a stud before Luck went down. Luck looks to be healthy, but how long will that last? 

With a healthy Luck, I would probably roll with Hilton but now I'm torn. Which guy would you pair with Bell, Barkley, CMC, and Keenan? 

As always, leave a link and I'll get back to you ASAP. The more detail you give me, the more you get back. Thanks! 

Edited by afl5013

I'd go with Cooper he's the better WR with the higher upside/youthful age. Plus Carr > Mr. Made of glass 

• Like 1

I would lean toward Hilton, since he has demonstrated consistent production with Luck--not the case with Cooper/Carr.  And I don't think Hilton will be a disaster with Brissett after the team upgraded the OL this offseason.  He outperformed Cooper last year with Brissett as QB.

• Like 2

Hilton....but ONLY if Luck looks great in camp. If there are any red flags regarding his health, I'd go with Cooper. Cooper is a better WR, but is a bit of a head case and while he is the #1, they also have Bryant (assuming he isn't suspended)/Jordy/Cook to feed if Cooper starts dropping passes again. 

• Like 1

Hilton, IF you have time to determine Luck's state of health and formulate an opinion.  With the addition of Jordy Nelson and some of the inconsistencies we saw with Amari, I would feel much more comfortable with a Hilton that has a healthy Luck. I believe Luck will return to form and Hilton will be legitimate value

• Like 1

I think its close but I'd take Hilton. Hilton is good enough that Luck doesn't need to be 100% back to himself for Hilton to produce strong WR2 numbers and of course the upside is he could be one of the top scoring WR if Luck picks up where they left off. Cooper is an intriguing post-hype target but he has serious drop issues that go back to college and his catch rate was abysmal. I think people are over rating Crabtree's departure and under rating Nelson and Bryant coming in. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rizzle630 said:

Hilton, IF you have time to determine Luck's state of health and formulate an opinion.  With the addition of Jordy Nelson and some of the inconsistencies we saw with Amari, I would feel much more comfortable with a Hilton that has a healthy Luck. I believe Luck will return to form and Hilton will be legitimate value

I agree with this.  Hilton is better WR when Luck is healthy.  I do think Cooper is in for a bounce back this season, but I'd go Hilton if Luck is healthy.

• Like 1

I like Hilton.   Especially if he's your #2.  

And I don't agree with Cooper having the higher upside.   He had 1153 yards and 5 TD in his best season.   Maybe Gruden improves his situation but the drops are a real problem.   Especially if Carr doesn't have the confidence to throw to him.   

And Gruden has said he wants to go heavier on the run.   Crabtrees's gone but Bryant might play and there's Nelson.   Carr also likes Cook.

Hilton doesn't have any real competition.   Doyle/Ebron I guess.

• Like 1

I'll add that if it's clear they are going to use Amari in the slot more often, I might take him over Hilton.   Depending on who my #1 receiver is.

• Like 1

Hilton. He has shown more upside so far and you know he can be a number 1 WR with Luck. He had a down year last year yet still out produced Cooper last year. Hilton didn’t have his normal QB throwing to him last year, Cooper did. So even with a backup QB who had no sort of preseason to learn the Colts offense, Hilton was still better than Cooper. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GreatScott! said:

Hilton. He has shown more upside so far and you know he can be a number 1 WR with Luck. He had a down year last year yet still out produced Cooper last year. Hilton didn’t have his normal QB throwing to him last year, Cooper did. So even with a backup QB who had no sort of preseason to learn the Colts offense, Hilton was still better than Cooper. 

Agree.   And even with Brissett, he could still be a top 10 guy.   Brissett had like 2 weeks to learn the Colts playbook.  Another year in the system,  I think Hilton still could have a great year without Luck.   Although certainly not as good as with healthy Luck.

Edited by K197040
  • Like 2

I’m a Hilton fan. Thanks so much for your help with mine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

When is the draft?

First week of August

1 hour ago, afl5013 said:

First week of August

Are you up against a keeper deadline?

If not, might as well see how Luck is in a couple weeks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Are you up against a keeper deadline?

If not, might as well see how Luck is in a couple weeks.

Nope, just starting to gather some info on the players. I figure Luck will be the determining factor, but was curious if people thought his injury would linger or if one of the players would be the majority regardless. Thanks! 

On 11/7/2018 at 11:03 PM, enelson44 said:

And I don't think Hilton will be a disaster with Brissett after the team upgraded the OL this offseason.  He outperformed Cooper last year with Brissett as QB.

This.

• Like 1

I'm taking Cooper here. He will bounce back, and Hilton makes me nervous with Luck possibly never the same. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, Hilton owner actually surprisingly kept him so looks like Cooper will be the target anyway. 

• Like 1

I'm buying Cooper everywhere I can get him, his up side is huge and he is still quite young. The drops can be cured and if  what Carr said is close to  being true, he fought injury most of the season. I personally think you will be happy with either player. I was fortunate to pick both up in my startup this year so I don't have to worry about this decision.

You'll just have to monitor Luck's status. Though the safe option is Cooper.  Luck has obviously had complications since his initial diagnosis about two years ago so it is in the realm of possibility that he comes back, has more complications and maybe even immediately goes back into treatment. His injury is something of a mystery and so far his recovery has been unpredictable.  I personally would go Cooper.