Sign in to follow this  
Flyman75

Too much for Marte?

12-team, traditional 5x5 roto, 8 keepers, keepers tagged with the rounds they were drafted in. 

I've been trying to get Starling Marte from his owner (big Pirates fan) off-and-on for most of the season. The owners isn't necessarily out of it, but he has a steep hill to climb to get to a money spot (top 3). I am currently well out in front, but that can always change. 

So I'm thinking of offering Muncy, Nimmo, and JPolanco to him for Marte. All three were FA pickups, meaning their round values would be in rounds 23 and later (30rd draft) if he chooses to keep them. Marte cannot be kept...his keeper status runs out after this season, and he'll be tossed back into the draft. 

I'm currently in 1st in HR (but not by much), 4th in SB (21 behind the Marte owner in 2nd and 3 behind 3rd place), 2nd in runs, 3rd in RBI. 

Is this an offer I should make? 

My current offensive roster:

C...JHicks, Cervelli (we start 2)

1B...Aguilar

3B...Freeman

CI...Olson

2B...Rizzo

SS...Bogaerts

MI...Merrifield

OF...JDM, Khrush, Cain, Bellinger, Muncy

UT...Camargo

BN...Souza, Nimmo, JPolanco

DL...Correa

Marte would slide into Muncy's slot in the OF, and I'd make a couple of FA pickups to restock my bench. 

My reasoning is that Muncy is probably at the height of his value. He's on a 550 AB pace to hit 56 HRs, and I highly doubt he even gets to 40...probably won't get to 35.

Nimmo has been on my bench for a while, so he's inconsequential.

JPolanco will probably get cut when Correa comes off the DL anyway. I just picked him up to see if his last two months of 2017 were for real or PED-induced.

None of the three are likely to be keepers for me.

Should I make this offer or sit tight with what I have? 

Based on the info you provided I'd be inclined to consider making the deal. I doubt Muncy will go for 40+ HRs also, and Marte slides into his spot so you get the speed and a smidge of power. Muncy might be a nice keeper at that round, but if Marte helps you close the gap to win this year I'd probably go for it based on where you said you stand currently.

I'd do that deal. I don't think any of those players you're giving up are that significant where losing them as a 23rd round keeper is a massive lose. Muncy has be great so far, but not sure he can keep up this pace. I'm liking Marte ROS.

Wow, seemed like that offer would be equally beneficial.  Nimmo certainly makes for a nice keeper heading into next year.  Muncy is at the height of his value but with multi position eligibility, and the uptick in power, is also a nice piece to have in tow (even to flip to a current contender).  

Did your counterpart identify who he would be inclined to trade for/offer a counter.  Makes negotiations easier its a two way street and not just a one sided negotiation.

Fair offer for sure...Wish ya luck.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, F@ndemonium said:

Wow, seemed like that offer would be equally beneficial.  Nimmo certainly makes for a nice keeper heading into next year.  Muncy is at the height of his value but with multi position eligibility, and the uptick in power, is also a nice piece to have in tow (even to flip to a current contender).  

Did your counterpart identify who he would be inclined to trade for/offer a counter.  Makes negotiations easier its a two way street and not just a one sided negotiation.

This. I'd make him throw out an offer. See if you can work around what he wants. If you're too far off, then it's just not meant to be.

1 hour ago, F@ndemonium said:

Yeah, I thought I was probably giving up too much, but offered anyway. 

He didn't say what it would take, and I didn't ask. Why? Well, because he's a good owner in that he's competitive, works his team, and is a charter member of our league. But he is ridiculous with trades. I'm the commish, and I've had two different owners text me about how bad his offers are. He complained on the league message board that no one is even countering his offers (of course he didn't counter mine, either), and he texted me today saying that he's sent out a hundred offers with no success. 

An example of one offer he made to another owner on June 10th...he offered to trade Zobrist, Adam Jones, and VVelasquez in return for Mike Trout and Edwin Diaz. Seriously...that was his offer. The other owner took a screenshot of it and sent it to me. LOL. 

So I made a strong offer, but I'd probably choke if I saw what he would really want for Marte. 

23 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, I thought I was probably giving up too much, but offered anyway. 

He didn't say what it would take, and I didn't ask. Why? Well, because he's a good owner in that he's competitive, works his team, and is a charter member of our league. But he is ridiculous with trades. I'm the commish, and I've had two different owners text me about how bad his offers are. He complained on the league message board that no one is even countering his offers (of course he didn't counter mine, either), and he texted me today saying that he's sent out a hundred offers with no success. 

An example of one offer he made to another owner on June 10th...he offered to trade Zobrist, Adam Jones, and VVelasquez in return for Mike Trout and Edwin Diaz. Seriously...that was his offer. The other owner took a screenshot of it and sent it to me. LOL. 

So I made a strong offer, but I'd probably choke if I saw what he would really want for Marte. 

I don't have any issue with guys sending out bad offers. It at least shows who they're interested in, who they're willing to give up, and overall where they stand from a trading perspective. Better than not seeing any offers at all. So even if the guy has a rep of sending bad offers I'd still see what he wants for Marte. If he asks for Trout, Betts, JoRam, and Scherzer, then you at least know that there's no point in trying to pursue Marte because you guys are too far apart. And if he's really that bad where he never gets a deal done with anyone, then there was no point in contemplating any kind of trade with him in the first place.

EDIT: The thing is everyone is trying to improve their team, everyone has a different way of getting that done, and everyone as a different perspective on the value of their players. The guy that has probably sent me the worst offers in my league I've probably dealt with the most because we have a different perspective in picks and certain types of players. Meanwhile the guy that probably sends me the best offers I hardly end up getting an actual deal done with because we look at things from a very similar perspective, and even though the value is there we both agree that the same side is better. So again, just different views. Got to figure out where someone's at.

Edited by Idoolittle