Sign in to follow this  
MillerTime89

Trade Help: Giles vs. Robert Williams (WHIR)

I currently own Harry Giles in a 30-team dynasty league. I was offered Robert Williams + a future pick for Giles. My heart tells me no because I really like what I see from Giles in the summer league, but my brains says that taking the trade is better for me because of the pick. What should I do here?

What kind of a pick are we talking here? Is it something that could potentially be a top 15 pick? Or is it likely to be something much later on? If it's something later on I'd say pass. And it's less so the difference between Giles and Williams as players and more so the opportunity. Giles is going to Sacramento where he's got a chance at starting. Williams is playing in Boston where he'll be fighting to get minutes. However, I do think Williams ended up sliding in the draft because of his leg condition. He's a good player, and if you think you can get another decent player in a high draft pick plus him for Giles, then I'd do it. But if the pick is just going to be a shot in the dark, I don't think it's worth it.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:

What kind of a pick are we talking here? Is it something that could potentially be a top 15 pick? Or is it likely to be something much later on? If it's something later on I'd say pass. And it's less so the difference between Giles and Williams as players and more so the opportunity. Giles is going to Sacramento where he's got a chance at starting. Williams is playing in Boston where he'll be fighting to get minutes. However, I do think Williams ended up sliding in the draft because of his leg condition. He's a good player, and if you think you can get another decent player in a high draft pick plus him for Giles, then I'd do it. But if the pick is just going to be a shot in the dark, I don't think it's worth it.

It’s a future 1st round pick in 2020. So the value is a bit unclear. 

Just now, MillerTime89 said:

It’s a future 1st round pick in 2020. So the value is a bit unclear. 

I'd look to see where his team finished last year, where you expect it to be this year, at where you ultimately think that pick will be in the 2020 draft. Because that pick is so far away, to do Giles straight up for the 2020 1st I think you'd have to expect it to be a top 10 pick. Where Williams is added that should mean you wouldn't need something quite as high, but I really don't know how to value him. I honestly think he's probably better than Giles in real life, but he's not going to get the same opportunity. Boston's got a bunch of young talent throughout their organization and only so many playing minutes to work with. Maybe when Horford's done there'll be a spot for him. But then again Boston is also an attractive spot for free agents right now. And Sacramento is... well... Sacramento.

I guess at the end of the day I don't think Giles will be anything special anyway. So if you think there's a chance you can get a high pick, go for it. But if not then you're probably just better off holding onto him and see what happens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MillerTime89 said:

I currently own Harry Giles in a 30-team dynasty league. I was offered Robert Williams + a future pick for Giles. My heart tells me no because I really like what I see from Giles in the summer league, but my brains says that taking the trade is better for me because of the pick. What should I do here?

I agree with the sentiment that if you believe the team will be good and the pick won’t be in the top 15, I would stay put. I think Bagley and Giles can play together. WCS won’t be there forever. Same with ZBo. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, AndreSplash said:

I agree with the sentiment that if you believe the team will be good and the pick won’t be in the top 15, I would stay put. I think Bagley and Giles can play together. WCS won’t be there forever. Same with ZBo. 

Yeah, the pick won’t be in the top-15. He has a solid foundation. I think I’ll stick with Giles for now since there seems to be more positive hype compared to William’s negative reports as of late.

• Like 1

Agree with above. Work out roughly where the pick would be before you consider. Bit because there is some doubt I would avoid it.

Plus Giles is on everyone's radar atm so clearly has something special about him 

• Like 1