Sign in to follow this  
ST. STEVEN

Razzball Ralph's Mid-Season Top 100 Update

wow, that's the lowest I've seen anyone have  Gore by far.

No Elehuris, disregard list....

Good to see Wander Franco make the list

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

I could be wrong, but I think Razzball guys in general just put pitchers lower because of the risk of long-term injury. Combine that with Gore being 2 years away (?), they just factor in a lot of throwing before he ever helps your fantasy team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

yah for sure, also Quantrill nowhere on the list.  However as a Padre fan, its nice to see Naylor, Potts, Tirso and Ruiz all getting in there

6 position players for Pads

3 pitchers with Paddack at 43, Gore 50, Baez 56

Really surprised to see Adell shoot up so high and Alonso comparatively so low. I figured Alonsos proximity to the bigs along with his incredible performance at AA would get himself well inside the top 20.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Really surprised to see Adell shoot up so high and Alonso comparatively so low. I figured Alonsos proximity to the bigs along with his incredible performance at AA would get himself well inside the top 20.

You have to have a really special bat to rank high as a first baseman.  The baseline is just so high for that position.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ya I agree, but it's a fantasy specific list so I wouldn't expect as as much separation between 1B and OF as I would on a real life prospect-only list such as the ones from FG or BA. 

With the trend towards MLB teams playing lots of players at multiple positions, and the players gaining fantasy eligibility all over the diamond,  positional scarcity (and the corresponding value bump) has almost disappeared.

In real life obv thats not the case and SS/2B/CF will always carry a premium while 1B/LF get a downgrade

Edited by cs3

Alonso has a .698 OPS and 30.9% K rate as a 23-year-old right handed first baseman with a poor glove in a hitter-friendly park in the PCL on the AAA affiliate of a bad NL team that plays in a pitcher's park.

All that said I'm still a big fan of his, but he has his share of negatives and risk factors. I think 39 is a pretty fair spot.

Kirilloff at 15 surprised me. I really like him and think he's generally underrated, but that seems too high. I don't see how you rank him ahead of Yordan Alvarez, who is only a few months older and blazed thru AA while Kirilloff just got to High-A and hasn't done much there yet.

2 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Alonso has a .698 OPS and 30.9% K rate as a 23-year-old right handed first baseman with a poor glove in a hitter-friendly park in the PCL on the AAA affiliate of a bad NL team that plays in a pitcher's park.

All that said I'm still a big fan of his, but he has his share of negatives and risk factors. I think 39 is a pretty fair spot.

You're only worried about his 93 AAA PA's and don't care about the 273 PA's immediately prior to that at AA where he had an a 179 wRC+, OPS over 1.000, and walked almost as often as he K'd?

I know hes struggled since his promotion, and he's not young for a prospect by any means, but he absolutely destroyed every previous level of the minors. All I was saying is that I was surprised to see 12 guys who havent even graduated from A-ball ranked ahead of him. Even Tyler O'Neill, who is also 23 yrs old, is 20 spots ahead of Alonso 

4 hours ago, cs3 said:

You're only worried about his 93 AAA PA's and don't care about the 273 PA's immediately prior to that at AA where he had an a 179 wRC+, OPS over 1.000, and walked almost as often as he K'd?

I know hes struggled since his promotion, and he's not young for a prospect by any means, but he absolutely destroyed every previous level of the minors. All I was saying is that I was surprised to see 12 guys who havent even graduated from A-ball ranked ahead of him. Even Tyler O'Neill, who is also 23 yrs old, is 20 spots ahead of Alonso 

Going from "unranked" to "39" in 3 months is still pretty darn impressive - Adell already had a huge pedigree coming in to the season as a first round pick (with his defense ensuring he'll get a chance to play every day and went from #24 on Ralph's list to #5) while Alonso has zero speed and his defense at 1B is below par .  Alonso has definitely raked offensively and is deserving of climbing up top prospect lists, but I think this particular climb is pretty reasonable, even for a fantasy centered list. Of course, if you value him higher - by all means go with your instincts. Cheers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JDL88 said:

I wonder what makes him think Adell is going to go from High A this year to MLB next year. 

Decent chance he gets moved up to AA soon.  If he hits like he's hitting now, he probably starts next year in AA at the least.. AA to the majors is far from the stretch. As long as he continues to hit and stay healthy, I can see it happening.

Triston McKenzie at #85 is about as low as I can remember seeing him, don’t understand the logic for it.

15 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

I recall him having Gore extremely low for the draft and post draft last year. To the point where it became a running joke and he finally relented and moved him up. He's likely to remain real stubborn on him and say it was his 'gut' from the beginning.

13 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

I could be wrong, but I think Razzball guys in general just put pitchers lower because of the risk of long-term injury. Combine that with Gore being 2 years away (?), they just factor in a lot of throwing before he ever helps your fantasy team. 

Yeah this is mostly true, they sorta explain it in the brief intro-

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Steve gar said:

Triston McKenzie at #85 is about as low as I can remember seeing him, don’t understand the logic for it.

He's a very skinny pitcher who has been ranked in the Top 50 of most major outlets on the back of tearing up A and A+ with a high K rate, and missed a significant amount of time in his AA season due to an injury (which many scouts warned would be a concern given the slight build) along with a significant drop in his K rate at that level.

That sentence above could be used to describe Carl Edwards Jr. pretty much word for word. He's always felt a lot like Edwards. Maybe slapping a "Carl Edwards" stamp on every skinny pitcher is wrong, but his career has yet to diverge from that of Edwards so the comparisons are going to keep coming. I could see a top-30 ranking from someone who is convinced Edwards will stick at SP, and could also see a 70+ ranking from someone who is highly concerned that he ends up as a reliever. Plus it was stated re: Gore that this lists tends to favor bats over arms anyway.

Edited by jorp

No love for the renaissance year Corey Ray is having? Especially since this is skewed toward fantasy relevance, where power/speed threats play up, seems like a glaring omission

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dark One said:

Going from "unranked" to "39" in 3 months is still pretty darn impressive - Adell already had a huge pedigree coming in to the season as a first round pick (with his defense ensuring he'll get a chance to play every day and went from #24 on Ralph's list to #5) while Alonso has zero speed and his defense at 1B is below par .  Alonso has definitely raked offensively and is deserving of climbing up top prospect lists, but I think this particular climb is pretty reasonable, even for a fantasy centered list. Of course, if you value him higher - by all means go with your instincts. Cheers.

Good point, it was quite a jump just to get inside the top 40. I hadn't considered that.

I had no idea that Ralph previously had Adell ranked so highly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Weekday Warrior said:

No love for the renaissance year Corey Ray is having? Especially since this is skewed toward fantasy relevance, where power/speed threats play up, seems like a glaring omission

I was thinking the same looking at all these lists. First round talent finding his power stroke and for the most part still *crickets*. 

The only things not to like are the slightly low average and the k rate needs a 5% trim. But to your point, the power and speed are there now. In today's MLB with strikeouts and homers doesn't this profile play up pretty well? 

17 hours ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Mckenzie at 85 ? yeah right

It's prob a bit light, but he's that way with a lot of pitchers. I am kind of off McKenzie though too, the forearm stuff scared me and he's basically been working 90-93 with FB all year, K's are down. There is a ton of potential, but I am thinking more mid-rotation...

18 hours ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Mckenzie at 85 ? yeah right

This is the great thing about opinion, everyone has one and is entitled to one, but that doesn't mean it reflects your own.  Obviously, Razzball's author thinks there are some concerns, or he just doesn't value pitchers as highly as some of the bats ahead of him on the list.  There's usually more volatility with pitchers given the susceptibility to injury in this day and age.  At the end of the day, take his list for what it is - his list - and feel free to critique it and rank the guys you like with how you view them. 

• Like 1