crotchcrickets

Nolan Gorman - 3B - STL

The power was a 65 so not surprised there. If he can keep that K rate sub 30 as he moves up, that's where I'm going to be wrong. I had him comped to a certain Texas Ranger 3B/1B.

I have him as a minor leaguer in our league, we draft in March right after our regular auction and at that time, he was projected as maybe the top HS bat off the board, the best power bat in the draft and mocks had him a top 10 for sure and in some mocks as high as top 2-3 picks.  So I was surprised he fell to 19 for the Cards, could be a great value there.  

• Like 1

Moving into Elehuris Montero's old spot at the hot corner for Peoria. Both can rake, but only one can be the 3B of the future for the Cardinals (and it's possible neither will, they both have defensive questions.) Will be an interesting situation to watch.

• Like 1

I could be falling for the insane power he has, but not sure there is a draftee that I would rather own?

Saw BP released their ranks today--behind wall though, but it got me pondering him some...

It will be very interesting to see his placement on the big pub lists.

12 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I could be falling for the insane power he has, but not sure there is a draftee that I would rather own?

Saw BP released their ranks today--behind wall though, but it got me pondering him some...

#4 in their system.  Said he has middle of the order potential though with a .250-.260 average, also evaluators split whether he can stick at 3B or more likely to wind up in a corner OF spot. 

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Hell be top 50 on most lists. He wasn’t 1 on bps list, which isn’t fantasy I think.

hes been number one on a lot fantasy lists, but not sure India Madrigal or mine isn’t more enticing depending on your league. In one year the projected first round of first year player drafts will be pretty different.

Posted (edited)

Gorman just went 4-4 and only needed a hr for the cycle but feel a little short

Edited by Turtleman09

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

What kind of ETA are we looking at on him?

Hes a few years away.  Most sites are saying 2022 ETA

The Risks: Extreme. There are hit tool issues, perhaps positional ones, and his first taste of full-season ball came with a lot of swing-and-miss.

Edited by TheTruth024

Yea he is for sure a few years out yet but i like how he is progressing and i really hope he keeps improving. And moves up through the system pretty quick. Excited to see the progress

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2019 at 10:35 AM, TheTruth024 said:

Hes a few years away.  Most sites are saying 2022 ETA

The Risks: Extreme. There are hit tool issues, perhaps positional ones, and his first taste of full-season ball came with a lot of swing-and-miss.

I think the hit tool issues are overblown. Gorman hit so well in his 2018 professional debut that he forced the Cardinals to advance him to full-season ball and he struck out a bunch of times against advanced pitching. But it's unheard of in the first place that a high school draftee makes it to full season in his first year! 

I felt last year some prospect people were a little too hard on Jo Adell when he struggled against Double-A pitching when it's unheard of for a high school draftee to make it that far in his first full season. Even high Single-A is considered a jump for a player of that experience level. 

Edited by WestTexasGM

Carpenter extension makes it so the Cardinals don't have to rush him to the majors. But I do think that he could really be pushing a major league roster spot before his extension is up. From what I've seen, he has a better chance than initially expected to stay at third base. If he can cut down his strikeouts it would go a long ways to putting him towards the top of the prospect rankings.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about the K rate that much yet. Kid just turned 19 twelve days ago and is already in his 2nd season at A-ball. 

So far, his BB rate has gone from 9.3% (2018) to 11.9% (2019) and his K rate from 36.4% (2018) to 25.4% (2019).

Progress is being made and he's still at least 2 or 3 years away from being seriously considered for the Show. 

4 hours ago, LoGo said:

I wouldn't worry about the K rate that much yet. Kid just turned 19 twelve days ago and is already in his 2nd season at A-ball. 

So far, his BB rate has gone from 9.3% (2018) to 11.9% (2019) and his K rate from 36.4% (2018) to 25.4% (2019).

Progress is being made and he's still at least 2 or 3 years away from being seriously considered for the Show. 

makes you marvel at Acuna, Soto and Vlad all that much more....

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't say I really understand this one at all. Since May 1st, a stretch of 192PA, he's putting up a miserable .199/.323/.348 line with all of 4HR while striking out 29.2% of the time. What part of that screams I'm ready for the next level?

57 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Yeah, I can't say I really understand this one at all. Since May 1st, a stretch of 192PA, he's putting up a miserable .199/.323/.348 line with all of 4HR while striking out 29.2% of the time. What part of that screams I'm ready for the next level?

Maybe he's so bored he's batting wrong handed and with one eye closed or something. 

After a really slow start, he's 11/25 2 HRs and 11 RBI in his last 6 games.Best part, only 3 Ks.