J.T. Marlin

Jonas Valanciunas 2018-19 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

On 10/2/2018 at 10:40 AM, StifleTower2 said:

I hope you guys know he’s trolling the people who expect huge leaps from Jval.  

 

lets call it wishful thinking as I do own a few shares of him this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DezedandConfused said:

No more Dwayne Casey, all aboard!

but we don't know how nurse will use him...just because there is change doesn't mean it will be an improvement. maybe nurse will like him even less we don't really know much right now. with poetl out though and ibaka probably still declining, there is a decent chance he has a better season than last and his adp is safe anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, driss lol said:

Val looked good against Gobert last night.

In real basketball Val is not worse than Gobert. In fantasy of course he is.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am European and I have seen European Championships games. Gobert was not even a key player for France (Parker, Batum and Diaw were), but Valanciunas is always the best Lithuanian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, apatas said:

In real basketball Val is not worse than Gobert. In fantasy of course he is.

I dunno about this. JVal is better offensively, but not by much, and Gobert is much more effective on defense. Val is too slow and lumbering. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apatas said:

In real basketball Val is not worse than Gobert. In fantasy of course he is.

 

18 minutes ago, apatas said:

I am European and I have seen European Championships games. Gobert was not even a key player for France (Parker, Batum and Diaw were), but Valanciunas is always the best Lithuanian.

 

Better offensive basketball player but not overall and not a fit on most teams. Gobert could get traded and fit in anywhere while the Raptors have been trying to give him away for years with no takers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You know, I have been unlucky. I saw one France game and Gobert didn't impress at all. Because NBA games are all in the night for me, I don't watch them in regular season, only important play-off matches from stream. And last spring I happened to watch LAC - Utah 7th game - you don't want to see a boxscore if you are Gobert's fan. This year I saw also some matches where Gobert was OK; but nothing special. I just don't have seen his best matches. Valanciunas I have seen more because Lithuania played against Estonia also. And every time he was for us like a beast.... And Euroleague basketball is completely different - players movement, ball movement, all are different. If you play Euroleague Fantasy, it is nightmare - some player plays 30 minutes in one match and 10 minutes in next, some teams have different starting lineups for every game. That is because most of the teams don't have real stars, even Doncic was not in Real Madrid much above others. Europeans don't rely on individual skills but only team defense and team attack.

Edited by apatas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was watching Croatia against Greece Giannis sucked big time and looked like a average player at best, I don't know what's your point. That was 2-3 years ago, Giannis played 20 minutes, finished with 6 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 4 fouls, 3 turnovers.

 

Valanciunas is a good player but Gobert is a all time defensive center type of talent. I mean difference between them is as clear as it can be.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, apatas said:

In real basketball Val is not worse than Gobert. In fantasy of course he is.

Gobert is one of the best defensive players in the NBA by DPRM.  His +/- is off the charts, you’d be surprised how similar his impact is to some superstars.  Even if he doesn’t “look” like he’s having an impact or getting blocks or making highlight reel plays he’s impacting the other teams ability to score and that doesn’t show up in a box score.  It’s like saying Mark Eaton wasn’t that really good bc he only scored 10ppg or Ben Wallace isn’t very good etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StifleTower2 said:

Gobert is one of the best defensive players in the NBA by DPRM.  His +/- is off the charts, you’d be surprised how similar his impact is to some superstars.  Even if he doesn’t “look” like he’s having an impact or getting blocks or making highlight reel plays he’s impacting the other teams ability to score and that doesn’t show up in a box score.  It’s like saying Mark Eaton wasn’t that really good bc he only scored 10ppg or Ben Wallace isn’t very good etc.

 

16 hours ago, apatas said:

You know, I have been unlucky. I saw one France game and Gobert didn't impress at all. Because NBA games are all in the night for me, I don't watch them in regular season, only important play-off matches from stream. And last spring I happened to watch LAC - Utah 7th game - you don't want to see a boxscore if you are Gobert's fan. This year I saw also some matches where Gobert was OK; but nothing special. I just don't have seen his best matches. Valanciunas I have seen more because Lithuania played against Estonia also. And every time he was for us like a beast.... And Euroleague basketball is completely different - players movement, ball movement, all are different. If you play Euroleague Fantasy, it is nightmare - some player plays 30 minutes in one match and 10 minutes in next, some teams have different starting lineups for every game. That is because most of the teams don't have real stars, even Doncic was not in Real Madrid much above others. Europeans don't rely on individual skills but only team defense and team attack.

 

Put it this way if the jazz offered Gobert for JV the raptors would have the documents signed and delivered to Adam silver is about 5 mins. If the raptors offered JV to the jazz for Gobert the phone line would immediately go dead... 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea Gobert is a top defender. Interestingly enough Jonas has only had one bad game against Gobert in the last two seasons, he plays well against him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i duno about the gobert comparisons lol but jonas will be good this year...he looks spry in the preseason and i'm wiling to bet the coach will favor him more than casey ever did. top 50 season may be in line for him folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still having nightmares of him last year, and him being juggled in and out of the starting lineup during pre-season doesn't help.

 

He'll probably finish with top-80 numbers, but with a lot of woofers and 14 minute games.  Not a fun guy to own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alexstr said:

Still having nightmares of him last year, and him being juggled in and out of the starting lineup during pre-season doesn't help.

 

He'll probably finish with top-80 numbers, but with a lot of woofers and 14 minute games.  Not a fun guy to own.

 

 

different coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ibaka was actually really good in the 4th. Different coach but will play depending on matchup

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

damn, was not expecting this wit the new coach smh

 

looks like an inevitable time share with ibaka, with the bulks of the minutes vs. smaller teams going to ibaka and the bulk of the minutes vs. bigger teams going to val

 

whack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about trading Fournier for him too, but I guess not. I have Ibaka but I need JV to be JV!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chaiway said:

Ibaka was actually really good in the 4th. Different coach but will play depending on matchup

 

Ibaka>JV
He brings rim protection, shooting and fits their system. JV is only effective against big guys. His defense was awful against the Celtics. He can't defend the pick-n-roll to save himself. Been trying to tell people for years on here that JV just is what he is, and yet it is always the coaches fault...
He is slow, not a smart basketballer, not a good passer, not a guy that can shoot except when wide open, that just doesn't fit in the modern NBA. He'll have some nice nights but it will be more of the same numbers he has put up his whole career because there are going to be A LOT of duds like this against bigs that can put it on the floor, play transition, pass and shoot (Horford, Embiid, etc. - he has to play these guys a lot - any team that goes small takes him out of the game). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.