RedDogNamedClippers

DeMar DeRozan Season Thread 2018-2019

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24184139/demar-derozan-dishes-trade-toronto-raptors-san-antonio-spurs-nba

Good read.  Dude has a major chip on his shoulder.  If you like the motivation angle, you'll probably want to add it to the "pros" list of drafting Demar.  

Sorry its a bull$hit read for a guy that is acting a bit sulky from a tabloid press that is just trying to promote the typical pro-US Team media hype. He wasn't good enough. He got shipped for a far superior player. If he has a chip on his shoulder then cop it sweet and go out and prove yourself...no need to try and throw your old team under the bus. The team that made him a multi-all-star and paid him over $100M throughout his career...

Where was that chip when he disappeared against LBJ...again... in the post season? The more I look at the spurs this year the more I think they are going to stink. Too old, too slow and their spacing is just terrible. Basically the whole starting 5 is below average 3-pt shooter: Murray-DeRozan-Rudy-LMA-Gasol, not only that but only Murray is a good defender, the rest are slow-footed jokers on D. Less space to work in for DeMar, less cover defensively (OG was a much better defender than Rudy even in year 1). I just think DeMar is going to slip especially when he is playing the much stronger western conference teams game-in-game-out. This trade was an absolute steal for the Raptors even if it is just one season of Kawhi (he has massive motivation to play and have a HUGE year). If he walks they are financially in a much better position for their rebuild and they still have OG-Siakam-FVV-Wright to build around. I can see a drop in FG% for DeMar (spacing issues and other ball hogs) and probably TOs too going against better players (they always bumped a little in the playoffs for him) and his slide in FT% means he isn't anchor people think because while he shoots a big volume it isn't hugely above the mean. FT helper - not anchor...
I'm going to pass on the Spurs version of DeMar and I'll tip the spurs to be outside the playoffs despite the Pop factor. Maybe I'm wrong but they are the antithesis of a modern basketball team. Pop has his work cut out

Edited by Jake the snake
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2018 at 4:54 AM, Jake the snake said:

Sorry its a bull$hit read for a guy that is acting a bit sulky from a tabloid press that is just trying to promote the typical pro-US Team media hype. He wasn't good enough. He got shipped for a far superior player. If he has a chip on his shoulder then cop it sweet and go out and prove yourself...no need to try and throw your old team under the bus. The team that made him a multi-all-star and paid him over $100M throughout his career...

Where was that chip when he disappeared against LBJ...again... in the post season? The more I look at the spurs this year the more I think they are going to stink. Too old, too slow and their spacing is just terrible. Basically the whole starting 5 is below average 3-pt shooter: Murray-DeRozan-Rudy-LMA-Gasol, not only that but only Murray is a good defender, the rest are slow-footed jokers on D. Less space to work in for DeMar, less cover defensively (OG was a much better defender than Rudy even in year 1). I just think DeMar is going to slip especially when he is playing the much stronger western conference teams game-in-game-out. This trade was an absolute steal for the Raptors even if it is just one season of Kawhi (he has massive motivation to play and have a HUGE year). If he walks they are financially in a much better position for their rebuild and they still have OG-Siakam-FVV-Wright to build around. I can see a drop in FG% for DeMar (spacing issues and other ball hogs) and probably TOs too going against better players (they always bumped a little in the playoffs for him) and his slide in FT% means he isn't anchor people think because while he shoots a big volume it isn't hugely above the mean. FT helper - not anchor...
I'm going to pass on the Spurs version of DeMar and I'll tip the spurs to be outside the playoffs despite the Pop factor. Maybe I'm wrong but they are the antithesis of a modern basketball team. Pop has his work cut out

Spurs " are the antithesis of a modern basketball team"?     Spurs invented modern basketball with 3s and spacing when they had a personnel to support it.  Last year, without Kawhi they made playoffs despite  making only 696 3PM( 14th in the West, 28th in the entire NBA).    I do not think that this version of  Spurs with DeRozan is worse than last year version

29 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Spurs " are the antithesis of a modern basketball team"?     Spurs invented modern basketball with 3s and spacing when they had a personnel to support it.  Last year, without Kawhi they made playoffs despite  making only 696 3PM( 14th in the West, 28th in the entire NBA).    I do not think that this version of  Spurs with DeRozan is worse than last year version

This version of the Spurs is "the antithesis of a modern basketball team". The spacing of the starting 5 is terrible. I never questioned the spurs and Pop invented this stuff, but a starting 5 of Murray, DeMar (29), Rudy (32), LMA (33) and Gasol (38) is a far cry from the great Spurs teams of yesteryear.

You're trying to convince people that DeRozan is going to shoot more threes against better opponents with poorer spacing. I'm not convinced in anyway. last year he had free-will to jack up triples and he did. He made 1.1/3.6 (31% - 28.6% in the playoffs). He had better ball handlers around him, FVV and Lowry. He really struggled off the ball. In this spurs team he is going to have to handle the ball even more. Not good. He has been trying to improve his triple for years. Last year the only thing about it that improved was the number of makes on more attempts not really the %. The big difference between the guys you showed who improved is they are all bigs and generally they get open triples from the top of the key when trailing the play or left unguarded in the wings. DeMar is never going to be left open on the ball and he struggles off it. His triples are harder shots and he still looks awkward taking them. And with the spacing of the spurs he can expect even more double teams this year.

Add to that DeRozan is a WAY worse defender than Kyle Anderson. Rudy, LMA, and Gasol are all another year older and slower...yes they won't be as good as last year. DeRozan isn't a good fit with that starting line-up. He needs shooting and not other mid-range shooters. You think the spurs are going to mid-range the league to death? It's going to be exciting year seeing LMA, Rudy, Pau, DeMar and Murray all spotting up from 18-20ft. And who is going to cover the defensive weaknesses of DeMar, LMA and Gasol? Dejounte Murray tidying up for the whole team? Sure add the shooting of Mills (for murray) and Bellineli (for gay), but your defense is worse. Put in Poeltl for defense (I like him), and your spacing just got worse...

It's going to be tough viewing...good luck to you

Edited by Jake the snake
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

Add to that DeRozan is a WAY worse defender than Kyle Anderson. Rudy, LMA, and Gasol are all another year older and slower...yes they won't be as good as last year. DeRozan isn't a good fit with that starting line-up.

All valid points that you made, but I strongly disagree with most of them. 

I agree 100% that Spurs this year are  "a far cry from the great Spurs teams of yesteryear".  But that does not make them  "the antithesis of a modern basketball team".

On a side note, I am curious  what "Modern basketball team" means.

Spurs are one year older?  True, but so is the rest of the league.  

The spacing of the starting 5 is terrible.   The same was true last year, but they still made it to the playoffs. 

DeRozan not having good 3P%?     Green at 36% (327 attempts for the season), Anderson at 33% (57 attempts) and DeRozan at 31% (287 attempts).   I will take DeRozan over Anderson any time. 

More double teams for DeRozan?  Maybe, but that will make life easier for Aldridge.

The  only thing that I can agree (to a certain degree) is that DeRozan is a worse defender  than Anderson. Not a  "WAY" worse, just worse. But DeRozan is a superior offensive   player compared to Anderson (and most of the league). And last time I checked winner is decided by number of  points for each team, not how good defender you are .   

The spurs are going to mid-range the league to death?    They were already doing that, last 3 seasons they were ranked 25 to 27th in 3PA. When they won it all in 2014 they were 16th.  Houston is ranked in top 3 past 6 years, how many titles they won in that span?

It's going to be exciting year seeing LMA, Rudy, Pau, DeMar and Murray all spotting up from 18-20ft.  - yes it will be. Last 3 seasons Spurs were ranked  27th, 25th and 26th in 3PA.  You can count me old school,  but I would rather watch Spurs working their way to a good mid-range shot rather than  a 3P shot 10 seconds into a shot clock. 

Spurs games were (and will be)  a good viewing in my book.  

If you think otherwise, we will agree to disagree

DeRozan is absolutely a way worse defender than Kyle Anderson, cmon now. 

I did some research on his defence last year because I’m a Portland fan and was floating around ideas about a CJ DeRozan trade and Demar is an even worse defender than CJ, Raptors fans consistently complained about it. 

Edited by Boogie Buckets
  • Like 2

I guess the Spurs didn't want to lose Kawhi for nothing, but Derozan just isn't that good.  That said if he can at least up his 3's he might have a good fantasy season at SA, seeing that there are basically no other top scorers other than LMA and sometimes Rudy Gay.  I don't like him though, never have and dumbfounded at how Toronto gave him the huge contract just to keep him happy when no other team would have maxed him out like that.  I think some teams just fall into the agent salestalk or the trap of thinking that they might lose him for nothing.  If they had just paid Derozan 23 mil a year I doubt other teams would match.  Dude is a 17 point scorer masquerading as a top threat.  Same for Wiggins.  I would take neither as 3rd stars since their defense sucks.  To me Wiggins might be a little better but both are kind of fool's gold type players.  

Then again Pop might transform him, or just let him and LMA shoot mid range jumpers all day.  

• Like 1

Let's not kid ourselves he is a good player. Just not a great one. Raps gave him a heck of a lot of opportunities and he will be remembered very fondly in TO, especially if he drops this spoilt brat thing. But they plateaued. He was the head of that team, it was based around his talents. The raps tried everything to space the court around him, tried to improve the defense around him, and allowed him to develop into a primary ball-handler. All things he wouldn't have had on many other teams. It brought a lot of success for a young franchise (sure LBJ stopped them 3 times, but seriously that isn't that bad - he is legitimately in the discussion of greatest ever player), but does that mean they should sign him up for huge contracts until he retires? No-way not when a guy like Kawhi becomes available at the pinnacle of this teams curve. Kawhi is top 3-5 talent. Like I have said this deal is an absolute steal for the raptors.

In terms of improving 3-pt shot and defense pre-all-star DD definitely showed signs in both areas (33% from deep and 1.2 steals), but teams seemed to work this out in the 2nd half and he got really lazy on D in the 2nd half and playoffs, maybe it is just when teams ramped up their play (27% and 0.8 steals) (29% and 0.5 steals in playoffs). His defense was flat out BAD in the 2nd half and playoffs...ugly bad. That is the part that worries me the most. Now he gets better players and defenders nightly - and sadly his tormentor followed him out West - and he doesn't have the spacing and complementary ball-handling around him. I would be HUGELY surprised if his numbers didn't regress from last year. Maybe he does get 1.5 triples a game, but I absolutely see that coming at the expense of FG% and spacing issues with the spurs I also expect his assist numbers (very high in a fluid offense in Toronto last year) to dip a little too.

6 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

The  only thing that I can agree (to a certain degree) is that DeRozan is a worse defender  than Anderson. Not a  "WAY" worse, just worse. But DeRozan is a superior offensive   player compared to Anderson (and most of the league). And last time I checked winner is decided by number of  points for each team, not how good defender you are .   

Yes way worse and regardless what you say the reason for the spurs success was always defense. Defense wins titles. That is why highly successful offensive teams (D'Antoni Suns and Rockets - although both very close - NOTE it was only a Robert Horry hip check that stopped the suns in 2007). This Spurs team is going to struggle stopping anything...

2 hours ago, vnmslsrbms said:

I don't like him though, never have and dumbfounded at how Toronto gave him the huge contract just to keep him happy when no other team would have maxed him out like that. 

And for the record this statement isn't true. He wasn't maxed out. Conley was that year, but DeRozan signed under the max. And at the time it was a great deal for both, especially now they have been able to move him for Kawhi. Exceptional work on all accounts by Masai Ujiri.

• Like 1

The Spurs lost Tim Duncan and David West in 2016-17 and were still second in defensive efficiency. They lost Kawhi Leonard and Dewayne Dedmon last year and were still fourth. Exactly how much of a decline are we supposed to expect from the departure of Danny Green and Kyle Anderson? As great as any of those guys were on the defensive end, the Spurs' defense has never been heavily personnel dependent. Don't forget that Gregg Popovich won four championships starting Tony Parker.

As far as the offense, the major loss is Manu Ginobili, and that one will sting. All the same, he was a facilitator and closer, not carrying the team with his scoring night in and night out. The team as a whole was unimpressive on that end last year, ranking 17th in O rating. DeRozan can only help in that regard, giving them a reliable option other than dumping the ball in to Aldridge. For spacing, expect to see some small ball with Davis Bertans at the four and Aldridge at center, possibly with Mills as well and DeRozan bumped up to small forward.

I expect them to fall off a little, simply on the basis that they lost four rotation players, not counting Leonard, and a lot of system mastery, but they should be pretty close to last year's record.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Meadowlark said:

The Spurs lost Tim Duncan and David West in 2016-17 and were still second in defensive efficiency. They lost Kawhi Leonard and Dewayne Dedmon last year and were still fourth. Exactly how much of a decline are we supposed to expect from the departure of Danny Green and Kyle Anderson? As great as any of those guys were on the defensive end, the Spurs' defense has never been heavily personnel dependent. Don't forget that Gregg Popovich won four championships starting Tony Parker.

As far as the offense, the major loss is Manu Ginobili, and that one will sting. All the same, he was a facilitator and closer, not carrying the team with his scoring night in and night out. The team as a whole was unimpressive on that end last year, ranking 17th in O rating. DeRozan can only help in that regard, giving them a reliable option other than dumping the ball in to Aldridge. For spacing, expect to see some small ball with Davis Bertans at the four and Aldridge at center, possibly with Mills as well and DeRozan bumped up to small forward.

I expect them to fall off a little, simply on the basis that they lost four rotation players, not counting Leonard, and a lot of system mastery, but they should be pretty close to last year's record.

Well if popovich turns DeRozan into a good defender I'll be doing this:

Image result for we're not worthy gif

8 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

Well if popovich turns DeRozan into a good defender I'll be doing this:

I think all Popovich can do is better hide DeRozan's defensive flaws with a better defensive scheme. Maybe adding Poelt and his rim protection means DeRozan can risk more on the perimeter, although they were teams already really. I doubt he will get better at age 30 on defense. Maybe on other parts of his game...

On 2018-07-22 at 12:32 AM, Kaboom said:

His career averages are 1.0 steals, 0.3 blocks, and 0.5 3's. Costco Kobe won't be a 2nd rounder unless he improves in those areas. And he's almost 30. 

lol i can't man.. costco kobe?! how you gonna do him like that? :D

3 hours ago, dotanesca said:

Played well and is looking to be aggressive... but lacks the stocks :o

why surprised? He never had stocks that's why he's always a late 2nd or 3rd rounder guy during draft. 

What a monster line by DeRozan. 32 pts 8 reb 14 ast with 1 stl and 2 treys. Wow. I traded him days back in dynasty for Otto. And it’s his final day on my roster. Great parting gift. Thanks DeMar!

Looks like there’s a good chance he continues putting monster numbers ros.

• Like 1

Is that DeMar or Harden? His FG% is probably gonna be crap as usual, but without any decent PG in SA he's going to have monster AST numbers. And he's not a guy that turns the ball over a lot despite the high usage, so that makes his outlook even better

Costco Kobe  is balling this season so far.  On the side note, if Spurs make playoffs this year   Pop will be greatest coach of all time in my books.  

He struggled in OT and late in the 4th but for the most part he cooked everyone and because the Spurs don't have a PG he's the primary ball handler a lot of the time. If he can keep hitting a 3 a game he's gonna be really fun to own. Type of guy you just plug in each week and forget about because he's gonna get his.

Incredible! if he can continue putting up these assist numbers, he’s a 2nd rounder at worst.

The Derozan I remember had extreme tunnel vision. The facilitating must be something Pops invisioned. 

2 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Quietest 27-6-8 to open a season ever.

Dudes dropping first round value. Shiet

On 24/10/2018 at 2:27 PM, COBBLEPOT said:

Incredible! if he can continue putting up these assist numbers, he’s a 2nd rounder at worst.

The Derozan I remember had extreme tunnel vision. The facilitating must be something Pops invisioned. 

Pop did not envision 2 of his guards getting injured IMO, but his assists rate were definitely going to go up in SA

Putting in work, if only he put the work in on 3s which is the only thing that separates him from the higher end 2 guards.He's been in the league for almost a decade cmon man work on your 3s lol