Sign in to follow this  
Fabios1993

Baker Mayfield 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

Big part of the reason why I used my waiver on him this week.

I used the waiver because it seems like every year now there's a rookie QB that comes in and just dominates. Helps when they're the no. 1 pick.

That gives me 4 Browns on my team and I might just start all 4 this week

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pushaZ said:

I used the waiver because it seems like every year now there's a rookie QB that comes in and just dominates. Helps when they're the no. 1 pick.

Browns might catch fire soon and go on a win streak with that schedule.

Edited by skye2388

For Texas Tech/Oklahoma fans, is Mayfield a decent rusher? At the goal line, would he try to run it in or pass? Afraid of getting contact?

If he has a great rushing floor (not expecting Cam), it's a boost to his fantasy stats

NVM, looked at this college stats, ~5 rush TDs/season:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/baker-mayfield-1.html

Edited by maxim730

6 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Don't be shocked if that rookie is Josh Rosen. . .:lol:

Assumming your dont play IDP baker-landry-hyde and njoku or callaway or duke. . . that's not a pretty stack:huh:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Don't be shocked if that rookie is Josh Rosen. . .:lol:

Assumming your dont play IDP baker-landry-hyde and njoku or callaway or duke. . . that's not a pretty stack:huh:

Josh Allen v Baker Mayfield for me..nabbed em both...tryouts!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Josh Allen v Baker Mayfield for me..nabbed em both...tryouts!

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bad89564b6f396a41

• Like 3

On 9/27/2018 at 4:19 PM, skye2388 said:

Browns might catch fire soon and go on a win streak with that schedule.

The only way the Browns catch fire is is Haley starts calling the right plays. His play calling has been horrible given his personnel packages through 3 games. personally i think he is setting Hue up to get fired.

lets see Haley specifically requests  the trade forTyrod  because he wants a mobile QB and dorsey gives Duke a 30mm extension and the draft chubb in the 1st round + the signing of landry who is a chain moving slot wr.  

Everything about this group screams heavy run focused offense but what does Haley do in game 1 vs the steelers IN THE RAIN?

He calls  40 pass attempts and 38 runs

Saints game 30 pass 27 rush

Jets 37 pass 33 rush

Browns 3 games:

Rush Play %    44.75%
Pass Play %    55.25%

why the heck in 3 games were you not using the rushing capabilities of tyrod-hyde-duke-chubb and you are labeled a great offensive coordinator?  Your yop field stretcher was a wr with a hammy issue and a rookie who is learning how to be a wr in the NFL

Game 3 your field stretcher was a rookie learning how to be a NFL wr. and an above average practice squad player. 

I'm glad josh was traded out of this cesspool of an organization

Smells rotten to me

Edited by dashoe

I had someone in my league put a high bid on him. I like him but remember these are still the browns. I hope he does well. I have him in one league.

Edited by CABLE87
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, dashoe said:

The only way the Browns catch fire is is Haley starts calling the right plays. His play calling has been horrible given his personnel packages through 3 games. personally i think he is setting Hue up to get fired.

lets see Haley specifically requests  the trade forTyrod  because he wants a mobile QB and dorsey gives Duke a 30mm extension and the draft chubb in the 1st round + the signing of landry who is a chain moving slot wr.  

Everything about this group screams heavy run focused offense but what does Haley do in game 1 vs the steelers IN THE RAIN?

He calls  40 pass attempts and 38 runs

Saints game 30 pass 27 rush

Jets 37 pass 33 rush

Browns 3 games:

Rush Play %    44.75%
Pass Play %    55.25%

why the heck in 3 games were you not using the rushing capabilities of tyrod-hyde-duke-chubb and you are labeled a great offensive coordinator?  Your yop field stretcher was a wr with a hammy issue and a rookie who is learning how to be a wr in the NFL

Game 3 your field stretcher was a rookie learning how to be a NFL wr. and an above average practice squad player. 

I'm glad josh was traded out of this cesspool of an organization

Smells rotten to me

It's a pass first NFL nowadays man, 55 percent is perfectly reasonable.  DBs can't really touch the receivers for a while already, and now QBs can't be tackled so they can scramble around all day.  You'd be a fool not to roll with the changes and prefer the pass game.

QB's are scoring at such a high clip this year as are WR's. Don't think they maintain this pace but it's definitely going to be a record year IMO.

Mayfield is the real deal. Kids got it all. I look for 320 and 2 TD's this weekend.

22 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

It's a pass first NFL nowadays man, 55 percent is perfectly reasonable.  DBs can't really touch the receivers for a while already, and now QBs can't be tackled so they can scramble around all day.  You'd be a fool not to roll with the changes and prefer the pass game.

The personnel contradicts your premise

then build a team for the passing game tyrod+hyde+1st rd chubb  and extending  Duke but not using him for 3 games does not equal passing game focus. it doesnt smell right  or it's front office and coaching incompetence. take your pick

I'm not starting him, but I wouldn't feel bad if I had to. He plays loose and really has nothing to lose when playing for CLE. It can only go up from here...

6 minutes ago, dashoe said:

The personnel contradicts your premise

then build a team for the passing game tyrod+hyde+1st rd chubb  and extending  Duke but not using him for 3 games does not equal passing game focus. it doesnt smell right  or it's front office and coaching incompetence. take your pick

There does seem to be a disconnect between OC HC and GM which was made pretty apparent with the first game and the Josh Gordon not starting but starting anyways thing.

Keep in mind they also drafted a QB pretty early.  Suggesting they may want to pass the ball often.

I don't know what's going on in Cleveland as a lot of it doesn't make any sense... but so far it's working out so I can't knock it, and I'll never knock a team for passing more than running in the modern NFL, which was really my only point.  Even if you are going with the strong defense strong run game approach, you'll still wind up passing more than running because that's the NFL now.

Just for some context Last year the jags with bortles and Fournette still passed over 50 precent.  55 percent passing would be bottom 8 out in the NFL.  In other words 55 percent passing is essentially a run oriented team in the NFL now.  It really doesn't get much lower than that.

15 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

There does seem to be a disconnect between OC HC and GM which was made pretty apparent with the first game and the Josh Gordon not starting but starting anyways thing.

Keep in mind they also drafted a QB pretty early.  Suggesting they may want to pass the ball often.

I don't know what's going on in Cleveland as a lot of it doesn't make any sense... but so far it's working out so I can't knock it, and I'll never knock a team for passing more than running in the modern NFL, which was really my only point.  Even if you are going with the strong defense strong run game approach, you'll still wind up passing more than running because that's the NFL now.

Just for some context Last year the jags with bortles and Fournette still passed over 50 precent.  55 percent passing would be bottom 8 out in the NFL.  In other words 55 percent passing is essentially a run oriented team in the NFL now.  It really doesn't get much lower than that.

The dysfunction is serious which makes we question how successful Baker will be as a Brown.  Young QB's can't become great in bad organizations because they don't get a stable system of support surrounded by chaos.

here is another example about something as simple as a play call but both coaches contradict each other in the media

• Like 1

I don't think we are disagreeing on the fractured organization part.  And I'll agree it doesn't bode well for a rookie QB who will be the guy on the field trying to execute a gamelan from that situation.

All I was really saying was that 55 percent passing plays isn't very high, especially considering two of the three teams they played would be considered very high powered offenses.

3 hours ago, dashoe said:

The dysfunction is serious which makes we question how successful Baker will be as a Brown.  Young QB's can't become great in bad organizations because they don't get a stable system of support surrounded by chaos.

here is another example about something as simple as a play call but both coaches contradict each other in the media

Haley probably just said he has no shame so he can let the owner know he's ready to take over

7 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Haley probably just said he has no shame so he can let the owner know he's ready to take over

Even when they’re winning, the Browns can’t stop Brownsing. 

It’s easy to pick a side here. Haley might not be the head coach, but he’s only confirming what we already knew, what Jackson refused to admit. I mean, these are definitely the same plays and the Eagles ran their version of it seven months before the Browns ran theirs.

The strange part here isn’t that Haley chose to tell the truth and in the process, undermine his boss. After all, this isn’t the first time Jackson and Haley haven’t been on the same page. Remember their “Hard Knocks” argument about resting players? Remember when Haley accidentally started Josh Gordon after Jackson made it clear that Gordon wouldn’t start? All Haley did this time is tell the truth.

The strange part is that Jackson felt the need to lie about it in the first place. The Eagles stole the Patriots’ trick play from the Super Bowl and they had no problem announcing it to the world. There’s nothing wrong with stealing plays in the NFL. Everyone does it. It’s a good thing, even. If you see someone run a play that works so brilliantly, you might want to find a way to incorporate that play into your own offense. The Super Bowl, a nationally televised event, was watched by a decent number of people — 103.4 million to be exact. Everyone watching last week recognized that play. So, why even bother with a denial? 

At this point, this isn’t about Haley undermining Jackson. This is about Jackson undermining himself.

When coaches contradict each other publicly and what appears to be purposely imagine what happens off camera, you won't win a lot of games. You don't want your  rookie franchise QB in the midst of this type of power struggle.

One of these coaches will not be coaching by the end of the season.. . .

Edited by dashoe

11 hours ago, dashoe said:

I think you are hung up on Hue's incompetence and though I agree to an extent once the game starts I think it is Todd Haley's show when it comes to play calling on offense. 

Haley was a bad HC in KC but he managed a high powered offense in PITT for several years that had 2 fantasy worthy WRs and a fantasy worthy RB and TE.

I like the direction the offense is headed. Baker only played a little over half the game last Thursday and threw for over 200 yards. If he started and was game planned as the starter i could envision him throwing for over 300 yards. The TDs were 1 yard rushing plunges cause Cleveland pass catchers got tackled at the 1 yard line so there is potential for passing TDs.

Just as a novice watching him play his passes come out fast, this year I've only seen Maholmes passes have as much zip on them as Baker's has. He immediately made Njoku relevant, Landry ate big time and Calloway even had a couple good shots he couldn't quite come down with.

The mindset I'm approaching it with is you don't want to miss out on a 2017 Deshaun Watson/Will Fuller'esque combo stack like  a Baker Mayfield/Antonio Calloway combo stack. It could be like a mini Maholmes/Hill stack for a lot cheaper.

Nobody last year thought Deshaun Watson would just score more and more and more fantasy points last year but he just kept doing it, it was 1 hell of a ride till he got injures. Maholmes/Hill have replicated that success and though it may be wishful thinking I think Mayfield has the intangibles to make an impact this year. Combine that with his soft schedule and there is a lot to like about Baker this year.

• Like 1

Not a bad game for a rookie on the road, has to get better with the turnovers.  . I think his coming out party starts  at home against the chargers

On 9/28/2018 at 7:15 PM, Bo Hackson said:

Fantasy football should be fun. Starting him in place of Luck. Let's have some fun!!!

Ruh roh

• Haha 1