MireLurker

Garrett Hampson 2018 Outlook

I guess I'll make the thread.

Called up today to take LeMahieu's spot at 2B. He's in the lineup and hitting 7th tonight.

This is a guy to grab if you're desperate for speed like I assume most of us are. Slashing .305 /.376 / .452 between AA and AAA, with 33 SB in 91 games.

Just some more info - he's been a quick riser with excellent plate discipline (BB:K), plus-plus speed, and an ability to hit for a high average with 10+ HR pop. He seems to have overtaken Rodgers as the next man up in the middle infield, so they must be fairly high on him.

Edited by MireLurker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MireLurker said:

I guess I'll make the thread.

Called up today to take LeMahieu's spot at 2B. He's in the lineup and hitting 7th tonight.

This is a guy to grab if you're desperate for speed like I assume most of us are. Slashing .305 /.376 / .452 between AA and AAA, with 33 SB in 91 games.

Just some more info - he's been a quick riser with excellent plate discipline (BB:K), plus-plus speed, and an ability to hit for a high average with 10+ HR pop. He seems to have overtaken Rodgers as the next man up in the middle infield, so they must be fairly high on him.

He's not ahead of Rodgers in the long run -- they would never rush Rodgers with his ceiling.  But for this year he could be an x-factor SB wise.

The fact that he's starting his first game speaks volumes compared to McMahon garbage.  It helps that Patty Barrels has no Barrels to speak of.

We're pretty positive he's going to play like 7/10 games?

Or is god damn Pat Valaika going to somehow get 5/10

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Best case scenario, he hits the ground running and forces his way into the lineup while DJ is out. Afterwards he can slide into a super-util role - he has 36GP at SS, 48 at 2B and 8 at CF this year. The speed could still be rosterable in that role.

13 minutes ago, MireLurker said:

Best case scenario, he hits the ground running and forces his way into the lineup while DJ is out. Afterwards he can slide into a super-util role - he has 36GP at SS, 48 at 2B and 8 at CF this year. The speed could still be rosterable in that role.

Even if he rakes for 2 weeks and earns a job as the super-UT, how many games off down the stretch do you really think Story, Lemahieu, and Blackmon are going to get?

just looking at this dude's minor league numbers, I am 100% grabbing him when he's available in ESPN. Those steals and a little bit of pop could be reeeal nice in Coors/that lineup

Better hope he does something today because it could be easy to get in a bit of an early slide facing Greinke=G. Cole-Morton next

How long does ESPN usually take to add someone like this? Amazing he's not already in their DB. 

3 hours ago, Watermock said:

How long does ESPN usually take to add someone like this? Amazing he's not already in their DB. 

usually espn will add the players to waivers the day after they play their 1st game. so normally he should be on waivers starting tomorrow and then it all depends on league settings. but lately espn adds players whenever they feel like it. so it could be tomorrow or the middle of the week

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Just crushed a double to the wall to bring in Desmond

And walked his next at bat.  I'm taking this sample size and declaring him a beast :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thejamman said:

He has logged 8 games at CF in the minors so far. Might as well open that up to opportunity as well. 

Parra, Gonzo and Blackmon are all in the Outfield unfortunately.  Although you could theoretically have Hammy platoon with Gonzo or Parra to gain some Outfield starts.

4 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I actually prefer the way ESPN does it .. 

in other formats the person who sits on their computer refreshing the league page/sports news sites 24/7 has an advantage on everybody else. This is less about skill and more about gaming a system flaw.

I play in Yahoo leagues, Hampson was scooped up this morning in every competitive league instantly when rumors starting swirling about his potential call up. I'd much rather he be added to the system tomorrow and then sit on waivers for 3 days so people can actually put in a bid for him.

I get the principle - but then Vlad Jr., Eloy, etc shouldn't be available.  What's the line you draw on what minor leaguers can be stashed and what ones can't be?

I think it'd be better if ESPN simply expanded its players base.  Bubba Starling has been available in standard ESPN leagues for YEARS now

He played some solid D at 2nd tonight, too. The announcers were pretty hyped. Let's hope it continues...

as long as GH is performing he should continue to get playing time even when DJL returns. DJL is a free agent and GH is the future at 2B. they should continue to give him AB to see if he is truly ready so that he could start next season at 2B.

15 minutes ago, Terrible Swift Sword said:

With DJ a Free Agent next year, any way this kid is the Opening Day 2B for the Rockies?

It's a question of what they do with Rodgers... Story has locked down SS for the near future, Arenado is at 3B, so it could be between these two guys or maybe one can move to the OF... though that's a bit crowded too.

would the Rockies move Rodgers off of SS that he has played through the minors to play 2B. wouldn't they be playing him at 2B in the minors of they thought that was an option in the majors.

38 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

would the Rockies move Rodgers off of SS that he has played through the minors to play 2B. wouldn't they be playing him at 2B in the minors of they thought that was an option in the majors.

Can never have too many SS prospects. Because the the skill set can transition all non pitching/catching positions. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them is turned into a CF in 2019 if both prove to be above average hitters and the already 32 year old Blackmon to corner OF.  Right now none are proven in the majors. So its best to keep both getting reps at 2B and see which cream rises to the top.

Edited by Slatykamora

4 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Can never have too many SS prospects. Because the the skill set can transition all non pitching/catching positions. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them is turned into a CF in 2019 if both prove to be above average hitters and the already 32 year old Blackmon to corner OF.  Right now none are proven in the majors. So its best to keep both getting reps at 2B and see which cream rises to the top.

unless I missed it Rodgers isn't getting reps at 2B, and is only playing SS in the minors.

[Platform/strategy derails removed. Talk Hampson or take it elsewhere, folks.] 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Yup, that's why he started 17 games at 2b. Also 17 at 3b. 51 at SS.

Looking at the Rockies roster construction and there is an obvious and glaring need for a good right handed outfielder. Next year after Parra (L) and Cargo (L) leave, they have Charlie Blackmon (L) who should move to a corner and two other left handers in Tapia and Dahl. They could move Desmond where his bat would play a little better, but Hampson is the fastest in that bunch and it makes sense to move him to center field when lefties are starting. I expect him to open 2019 as their starting 2B and he moves into a platoon role backing up 2b, ss, 3b and OF once Rodgers passes super 2 status. Starts in center versus lefties.

I'm pretty sure the Rockies resigned Blackmon because they already know they won't be able to sign Arenado, which would open an infield position back up for him if he plays well after next year.

• Like 1