MireLurker

Garrett Hampson 2018 Outlook

15 hours ago, Light Tower Power said:

Yup, that's why he started 17 games at 2b. Also 17 at 3b. 51 at SS.

Looking at the Rockies roster construction and there is an obvious and glaring need for a good right handed outfielder. Next year after Parra (L) and Cargo (L) leave, they have Charlie Blackmon (L) who should move to a corner and two other left handers in Tapia and Dahl. They could move Desmond where his bat would play a little better, but Hampson is the fastest in that bunch and it makes sense to move him to center field when lefties are starting. I expect him to open 2019 as their starting 2B and he moves into a platoon role backing up 2b, ss, 3b and OF once Rodgers passes super 2 status. Starts in center versus lefties.

I'm pretty sure the Rockies resigned Blackmon because they already know they won't be able to sign Arenado, which would open an infield position back up for him if he plays well after next year.

I wasn't aware of that. I looked at thebaseballcube.com and saw him listed at SS.

why would Hampson be future platoon or backup? this kid is also for real and yet it appears some think ah he's nothing. he has hit at every level, and has great speed along with good/decent power.

if Hampson starts next season at 2B and he is hitting (like he has at every level) then I don't see any reason to move him or have him platoon/back up. in the future he could be something like 10 HR along with being one of the league leaders in SB while batting leadoff. minor league career - .315 AVG/ .389 OBP.

Rodgers is 21 and still in AA. unless he is blowing up AAA next season no reason to rush him to the majors. I think it's more likely he is the future at 3B or SS rather than 2B.

6 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

I wasn't aware of that. I looked at thebaseballcube.com and saw him listed at SS.

why would Hampson be future platoon or backup? this kid is also for real and yet it appears some think ah he's nothing. he has hit at every level, and has great speed along with good/decent power.

if Hampson starts next season at 2B and he is hitting (like he has at every level) then I don't see any reason to move him or have him platoon/back up. in the future he could be something like 10 HR along with being one of the league leaders in SB while batting leadoff. minor league career - .315 AVG/ .389 OBP.

Rodgers is 21 and still in AA. unless he is blowing up AAA next season no reason to rush him to the majors. I think it's more likely he is the future at 3B or SS rather than 2B.

Yeah, I use baseball reference to see games played by position.

Someone will be the future backup/platoon. It's a numbers game until someone is traded.

2019 Depth Chart:

1B-Desmond/McMahon

2B-Hampson/Rodgers/McMahon

3B-Arrendo/McMahon/Desmond/Welker (2020)

SS-Story/Rodgers

OF-Blackmon, Tapia and Dahl

You maybe right and I'm not giving Hampson enough credit for his infield defense, but that 70-grade speed would cover a lot of ground in the outfield.

I like Hampson a lot for fantasy, but he wasn't that great in AAA after you consider context. AAA stats: .312 avg, .371 obp, .833 ops. Those are great numbers on the surface. However, on his AAA team, this is where he ranks, Avg (6th best), obp (5th best), OPS (11th best). Would be a safe bet to assume he went through some sort of adjustment phase as his k-rate jumped up to 18.1% which is the highest its been in his minor league career.

The fact Colorado put him on the 40 man was surprising and speaks well for Hampson's chances going into next year. Seems like they actually like him unlike McMahon and Tapia. Hopefully he can keep that K-rate below 20% and impress Bud Black before DJ is back.

he seemed to fall through the dynasty write up cracks....yet here he is being highly touted.....espn just added him to the database.

Most mangers should be jumping at the chance to land him.

15 hours ago, Light Tower Power said:

Yeah, I use baseball reference to see games played by position.

Someone will be the future backup/platoon. It's a numbers game until someone is traded.

2019 Depth Chart:

1B-Desmond/McMahon

2B-Hampson/Rodgers/McMahon

3B-Arrendo/McMahon/Desmond/Welker (2020)

SS-Story/Rodgers

OF-Blackmon, Tapia and Dahl

You maybe right and I'm not giving Hampson enough credit for his infield defense, but that 70-grade speed would cover a lot of ground in the outfield.

I like Hampson a lot for fantasy, but he wasn't that great in AAA after you consider context. AAA stats: .312 avg, .371 obp, .833 ops. Those are great numbers on the surface. However, on his AAA team, this is where he ranks, Avg (6th best), obp (5th best), OPS (11th best). Would be a safe bet to assume he went through some sort of adjustment phase as his k-rate jumped up to 18.1% which is the highest its been in his minor league career.

The fact Colorado put him on the 40 man was surprising and speaks well for Hampson's chances going into next year. Seems like they actually like him unlike McMahon and Tapia. Hopefully he can keep that K-rate below 20% and impress Bud Black before DJ is back.

Hampson's speed could play well in the Rockies OF.

I'm curious as to why Rodgers is seen as being on the 2019 depth chart. he's only 19 playing in AA. I know young players right now are tearing up the majors so Rodgers could do the same, but I think they should be more interested in Rodgers playing out 2019 in AAA and then seeing what happens for 2020.

12 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Hampson's speed could play well in the Rockies OF.

I'm curious as to why Rodgers is seen as being on the 2019 depth chart. he's only 19 playing in AA. I know young players right now are tearing up the majors so Rodgers could do the same, but I think they should be more interested in Rodgers playing out 2019 in AAA and then seeing what happens for 2020.

Rodgers will be 22 this year.

1 minute ago, duke of queens said:

Rodgers will be 22 this year.

I don't know where I pulled 19 from. I did say in another post that he is currently 21, so I don't know why I said 19.

still 21 now and turning 22 in August is still young. I still think the best plan would be to have him in AA this season and AAA next season.

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

I don't know where I pulled 19 from. I did say in another post that he is currently 21, so I don't know why I said 19.

still 21 now and turning 22 in August is still young. I still think the best plan would be to have him in AA this season and AAA next season.

I don't think he has much more to prove , but I can see him starting in AAA next season and getting promoted early. I'm assuming they will throw all the money they can at Arenado in 2020, but if he doesn't sign I'd assume Rodgers would be the 3B. Story at SS and Hampson at 2B. But if Arenado does sign one of those guys would need to find a new position.

• Like 1

If they don’t sign DJ, which I think they shouldn’t given what we’re discussing, then I’d think they let Hampson and Rodgers play for the 2B spot in spring training. With Hampson having a head start due to his age and service time beginning. 

Non fact/#s based, but I'm not really feeling this

Started him at MI this week...

.250 and no counting stats

10 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Hasn't helped at all. Where are the steals? Has he even attempted one?

7 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

So your saying Hampson, in his 1st 5 games, at 4/16 - with 2 RBI and a Run - is bad

So what about Arenado, in the last 5 games, is 3/19 - with 2 RBI and 2 Runs - he must be bad too?

15 minutes ago, jahweedum said:

So your saying Hampson, in his 1st 5 games, at 4/16 - with 2 RBI and a Run - is bad

1 Run and 2 RBI mathematically projects for like 30 Runs and 58 RBI

So, no doesn't really do a whole lot for me.

It's not like he's some prized prospect

4 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

And you completely ignored the 5 game analysis of Arenado.  

Also Hampson has 7 total bases, 3 BB, 4 K

Arenado has 7 total bases, 2 BB, 3 K

I'm not saying he's a stud or a must have, but if you think this type of initial performance is simply nothing, I think that's a mistake at the moment.

Your basically saying he's not meeting your expectations after 5 games, do you expect most players to overachieve in general?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

he will be a pretty solid MLB player. can play multiple positions and does everything pretty well

He's doing exactly what he should at the plate, just hasn't chipped in with a SB yet... 1 double, 1 triple, 3BB:4K, and a safety squeeze last night.

I thought about it before, and he's basically Whit Merrifield.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MireLurker said:

He's doing exactly what he should at the plate, just hasn't chipped in with a SB yet... 1 double, 1 triple, 3BB:4K, and a safety squeeze last night.

I thought about it before, and he's basically Whit Merrifield.

But he's in a much better ballpark and lineup than Merry-boy.

Edited by KingJoffrey

He's played against a ton of quality pitchers,  e.g.Verlander, Cole, Morton in that Houston series.  Colotado will run into the dreck at home and then you judge.    The problem is..for many teams right now...can you afford the roster space?  There's so mnay good hitting success stories going on right now.

3 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

He's played against a ton of quality pitchers,  e.g.Verlander, Cole, Morton in that Houston series.  Colotado will run into the dreck at home and then you judge.    The problem is..for many teams right now...can you afford the roster space?  There's so mnay good hitting success stories going on right now.

Anyone needing steals should take a flier on him in any format.  He’s going to get on base and once he gets the green light he could put up legit sb numbers.  He swiped 120, getting caught just 23 times, in 287 minor league games.  That’s a 60+ full season pace with a great success rate.  If he stays in the lineup for ROS I’ll take a decent avg/Obp with some runs and 10+ steals, there’s not many people out there swiping bags these days.

Imagine the lineup you'd have at this point in the year if you made moves based on the stats your players put up in their first five games of the season lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Arguing that you should extrapolate after 5 games has to be a troll...at least I hope so.

• Like 1

I have my fair share of 2B prospect/player I drafted for 2B and switched to OF in Mookie and Gordon, and now potentially Hampson. What does a man have to do to keep a 2B prospect turned good to great 2B players in the major? LOL

1 hour ago, AF25 said:

I have my fair share of 2B prospect/player I drafted for 2B and switched to OF in Mookie and Gordon, and now potentially Hampson. What does a man have to do to keep a 2B prospect turned good to great 2B players in the major? LOL

Is this English? Lol

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Godfather131 said:

Is this English? Lol

What he means is. He keeps drafting 2b prospects that keep turning into outfielders.

My man just wants a 2b prospect to stay at 2nd base.

Glad i could help lol

Edited by Elviplatinum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1