colepenhagen

2018 Vent & Rant Thread

33 minutes ago, Stratocasters said:

Boom! We have a winner. B)

He did a nice job for me. But when Burkhead came back and Develin started playing more (for what reason?)...that was the end.  :(

First mistake was putting trust into a NE RB

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Sounds awful and discourages active owners

Unlimited add/drops benefit the unprepared and uneducated and remove whatever skill still remains in today's Fantasy Football.  A lot of people are playing daily fantasy under the disguise of a season long league and they don't even realize it.

7 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Here's my rant, which is sure to be an outlier opinion:

When I hear people talk about their team with Jackson of the Chargers, Williams of the Chiefs, Samuel of the Steelers, and how they're playing in a Championship, I think those leagues are garbage.  Play Daily Fantasy if you want to be in a league where you just freely pick up the flavor of the day, and add/drop churn guys on and off your team.

To me, season long fantasy should be based on a large draft, trades, and limited waiver transactions.  I think there should be a low cap on add/drops in Season Long leagues to prevent this type of nonsense where the only skill involved in having Williams or Samuel in the Semi Finals is that you had a higher waiver priority or woke up earlier than your league mates.

True skill to me, is building a team that can compete Week 1 and Week 16, anticipating needs, and drafting insurance policies.  Surviving the attrition and carnage that NFL football is during a season.

End of Rant.

Sounds like you need to just play draftmasters

• Like 1

Open waivers is a little bit cheap, I agree.  In my league we have one and only one free agent bidding period, Wednesday night, and it is all FAAB.  No rushing to the computer to log in when you hear that a star player beat up a lady and is now in very hot water.

16 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Open waivers is a little bit cheap, I agree.  In my league we have one and only one free agent bidding period, Wednesday night, and it is all FAAB.  No rushing to the computer to log in when you hear that a star player beat up a lady and is now in very hot water.

Not saying I disagree with this, but here’s the flip side. Say come Sunday morning, a player suddenly sprains his ankle in pregame warmups and is declared out (I’m using this as an example b/c if I say a player is listed as questionable leading up to game day, you might say that team should pick someone up during the Wed waiver period in preparation of said player being inactive). But back to my example. Let’s also say there’s no other option on my bench b/c my other players are on bye. Should that team be forced to play with an empty slot that week b/c of the once a week waiver period?

I too have thought about implementing a once a week FAAB waiver period and that’s it. But how do you combat my above scenario? The only way to combat it is to run another one on Sunday. But then what about Thursday games where pregame injury happens? Or 3pm games on Sunday? Or how about week 15 where you have Sat games?

Would like to hear how your particular league handles a situation like this. 

Edited by Sonny_D

49 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Not saying I disagree with this, but here’s the flip side. Say come Sunday morning, a player suddenly sprains his ankle in pregame warmups and is declared out (I’m using this as an example b/c if I say a player is listed as questionable leading up to game day, you might say that team should pick someone up during the Wed waiver period in preparation of said player being inactive). But back to my example. Let’s also say there’s no other option on my bench b/c my other players are on bye. Should that team be forced to play with an empty slot that week b/c of the once a week waiver period?

I too have thought about implementing a once a week FAAB waiver period and that’s it. But how do you combat my above scenario? The only way to combat it is to run another one on Sunday. But then what about Thursday games where pregame injury happens? Or 3pm games on Sunday? Or how about week 15 where you have Sat games?

Would like to hear how your particular league handles a situation like this. 

We have six bench spots so it is important to have depth for those last minute injuries.  But if our team managers only have one kicker and he comes down with a freak injury after Wednesday night, they are out of luck until the next week.  That is very very rare, though.  It is a balancing act but I like our rules better than most leagues, which seem like a wild free for all to me.  Keyboard surfers have a pretty big advantage over leaguemates that have actual jobs.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

We have waivers in my stupid office league. We have a guy in our league who I swear has employed a 24 hour fantasy monitoring service. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

We have six bench spots so it is important to have depth for those last minute injuries.  But if our team managers only have one kicker and he comes down with a freak injury after Wednesday night, they are out of luck until the next week.  That is very very rare, though.  It is a balancing act but I like our rules better than most leagues, which seem like a wild free for all to me.  Keyboard surfers have a pretty big advantage over leaguemates that have actual jobs.

Rostering 1 kicker, etc, that’s something different. I was referring to the injury issue. I guess I don’t see the benefit of having 1 waiver period just so team owners don’t get “lucky” by beating others to the computer if someone beats up some girl and then is suspended. The likelihood of injuries are obviously much, much higher than a player getting suspended. 

Bench depth is important but I just don’t see the logic behind having a player or two of yours get injured during Thurs or Fri practice and being forced to have an empty slot (byes, etc). Not worth dealing with that on the off case a player gets suspended. Just my opinion though. 

Players getting hurt late in the week in practice does happen, so it is a balancing act.  Hold that lotto ticket that is very unlikely to have any short term value, or have a decent player as bench depth just in case?

On 9/9/2018 at 6:26 PM, FML said:

Rodgers fell to me in the 5th. Had to take him because of value right?  And carted off.

I did the same thing after swearing not to take a QB before the 10th round. The irony is that we probably would have been better off if Rogers never came back. 

9 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Here's my rant, which is sure to be an outlier opinion:

When I hear people talk about their team with Jackson of the Chargers, Williams of the Chiefs, Samuel of the Steelers, and how they're playing in a Championship, I think those leagues are garbage.  Play Daily Fantasy if you want to be in a league where you just freely pick up the flavor of the day, and add/drop churn guys on and off your team.

To me, season long fantasy should be based on a large draft, trades, and limited waiver transactions.  I think there should be a low cap on add/drops in Season Long leagues to prevent this type of nonsense where the only skill involved in having Williams or Samuel in the Semi Finals is that you had a higher waiver priority or woke up earlier than your league mates.

True skill to me, is building a team that can compete Week 1 and Week 16, anticipating needs, and drafting insurance policies.  Surviving the attrition and carnage that NFL football is during a season.

End of Rant.

Why not just play in dynasty leagues with large rosters then? Also, doesn’t a FAAB waiver system counter some of this?

Edited by wonderbread
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Unlimited add/drops benefit the unprepared and uneducated and remove whatever skill still remains in today's Fantasy Football.  A lot of people are playing daily fantasy under the disguise of a season long league and they don't even realize it.

Agree to disagree. This isn't fantasy baseball, you can't churn your way to stats in football. Ultimately, the high volume transactions lead to as many mistakes as benefits. Comparing it to daily fantasy is not a good metaphor whatsoever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Players getting hurt late in the week in practice does happen, so it is a balancing act.  Hold that lotto ticket that is very unlikely to have any short term value, or have a decent player as bench depth just in case?

Should you make sure your depth every week is also slated to play in the same time slot as your future Q and GTD or last minute injured players? Seems like that could get messy.

Edited by Ffguy0087

4 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Can you elaborate more.  How often is news coming out after waivers run on Wednesday that really has a big impact? This year is an outlier with Hunt and Hyde but both Ware and Chubb should’ve been owned anyways.

I also really disagree that it removes any skill and rewards the lesser players.  The best players should be constantly churning the back of their rosters searching for high upside and while I can see the point that Team X shouldn’t be awarded Damien Williams on the WW just because he has a higher claim, an easier solution would be to either just use FAAB or increase roster sizes so people can roster handcuffs.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ffguy0087 said:

Should you make sure your depth every week is also slated to play in the same time slot as your future Q and GTD or last minute injured players? Seems like that could get messy.

How often do you not have a backup in any format?

1 hour ago, Ffguy0087 said:

It does get messy, and last year I missed the playoffs by one game, and I lost one game because Rapoport tweeted that a certain player would be playing at 4:00 so I benched the alternative.  I vowed never to rely on that hack again.

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

How often do you not have a backup in any format?

What if your "backup" plays at 10 and your starter gets scratched at 1230 for the 1pm games? That was my point.

Just now, Ffguy0087 said:

What if your "backup" plays at 10 and your starter gets scratched at 1230 for the 1pm games? That was my point.

If that happens it shouldnt tank your season. 

I dont know if ive ever been without a position because of that

So my top three WRs going into the season were Keenan Allen, A.J. Green, and Josh Gordon. Pretty good, right? Wah wah wah...fast forward to week 16 and I’m down to starting Robby Anderson, Jordy Nelson, and Robert Foster.

And I’m playing in the 3rd place game this week rather than the finals thanks to zeroes from Keenan Allen and Brett Maher. We also play in a 2 QB league, and my two QBs were Cam Newton and Drew Brees. Earlier in the season that would have sounded pretty good, right? Not on Monday night it wasn’t. I hate fantasy.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

First mistake was putting trust into a NE RB

Oh, you're absolutely right...and I usually don't trust them.

But last season I had D. Lewis, who did well.

This year, White was the man. It was obvious that when White was implemented heavily in the game plan, the Pats offense did well. Heck, even Brady made some nice positive remarks about White. I just couldn't quit him. :lol:

Edited by Stratocasters
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, yossarian said:

good god this sounds like a boring league. "Let's come up with a set of rules to restrict managers' ability to modify their teams, engage with the league, and react to changes in player availability due to short term or long term injuries, suspensions, or coaches whims. what we'd really like is to have half the league give up by the middle of the season because their teams are injured or out of it and they have no moves left to improve their teams. you should draft your 42 man roster, set your starters, and check back in in December to see who won. this is how REAL MEN do it and everybody else is just playing daily fantasy".

your take could not be more wrong. It's ridiculous that you've come up with a way to denigrate active and attentive managers. 

THIS. THIS.  YEAH, THIS!!!

you, good sir, have won the innerwebz with that smackdown/screed - please accept all my likes. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

So basically because people weren't able to snag league winners off of waivers the whole system should be done away with? Lmao. 

I bet if they were the ones with those waiver adds they'd be singing a different tune. 

We had that issue in my league and they changed it to FAAB thinking that would fix things but there were still high amounts of transactions because people looked ahead and made stashes in advance. Waiver wire management is just as much of a skill as drafting is because wire adds also bust and can cost you the playoffs/championship 

• Like 1

I’m here to rant about the Gordon thread being shut down. So close to 300 pages. 

• Haha 1

Josh gordon left me with wr3 options of Tim Patrick, Willie Snead, Jermaine Kearse, M Goodwin...Oof