Stefan

Myles Turner 2018-2019 Season Outlook

50 minutes ago, kendanc said:

As soon as I drop him, someone will scoop him up and he'll average a quadruple double for the rest of the season

that's also the reason why i cant drop him yet. this guy is freaking killing my patience

I am not dropping. The blocks are still there.

Personally I didn’t draft for the rebounds so I am not disappointed in that. I drafted for the elite blocks, a little bit of threes, good percentages for a big, and the hope that he would break out scoring-wise. Although he is not breaking out with scoring, he is doing everything else I expected so I am good.

Turner is looking like hot trash.  Good thing I missed him in my drafts, aiming for him in the fifth.. I thought that would been a safe enough range but he yet again regressed this season(to the dismay of unlucky owners who drafted him).  Sabonis is outplaying him that you think turners days as a pacer may be numbered...

something about pacer centers that that they seem to lose their skills as the years go by.  Hibbert 2.0

3 minutes ago, c_dog said:

Turner is looking like hot trash.  Good thing I missed him in my drafts, aiming for him in the fifth.. I thought that would been a safe enough range but he yet again regressed this season(to the dismay of unlucky owners who drafted him).  Sabonis is outplaying him that you think turners days as a pacer may be numbered...

something about pacer centers that that they seem to lose their skills as the years go by.  Hibbert 2.0

Jup, thats why I drafted him at 58, being sure that 60/65 would be his absolute floor. But welp..

Should I accept a trade for Lauri straight up?

I've been holding onto hope that he would break through but looking at last year and this year's numbers, I'm not sure he will.

Lauri is an improvement in probably everything but FG% and blocks and he could improve more but Bulls FO not releasing any updates on his, Dunn or Portis' injuries and they might rest him down the stretch to tank.

Thoughts?

On 11/10/2018 at 5:58 AM, c_dog said:

It's pretty incredible he was a "buy low" target for many of us and somehow even if you got him for 5th or 6th round value (I did as well)  you're pissed off right now.  I appreciate his blocks but the points and boards are killing many owners, especially ones like myself that are not using many traditional big men.  One thing I've learned about this new fantasy landscape is that you need a rebounds anchor just like a blocks anchor.  Rebounds are getting harder to find with more big men stepping outside and teams don't really crash the glass anymore on either end.

• Like 1

Real talk, believe it or not im near the bottom in rebounds despite having anthony davis and vuviec in my team- thats how difficult the  rebound categories are getting.  This forced me to pick up players like tyson chandler and tristan thompson just to get back to being competitive in rebounds

46 minutes ago, laurilegend said:

It's pretty incredible he was a "buy low" target for many of us and somehow even if you got him for 5th or 6th round value (I did as well)  you're pissed off right now.  I appreciate his blocks but the points and boards are killing many owners, especially ones like myself that are not using many traditional big men.  One thing I've learned about this new fantasy landscape is that you need a rebounds anchor just like a blocks anchor.  Rebounds are getting harder to find with more big men stepping outside and teams don't really crash the glass anymore on either end.

What you’re saying is logically inconsisent.  If there are more stretch big men and fewer rebounds then that means that Turner’s negative rebounds are going to be less impactful.

Fantasy is like a jigsaw puzzle with 9 different pieces.  Blocks are one piece.  The three efficiency cats are three different pieces.  Granted his efficiency isn’t impactful because it’s on low volume, but at least it’s not harmful.  The median for points is 15 and the median for rebounds is 5.5.  He’s at 2/3 of the median in points and 90% of the median in rebounds so it’s not possible that he’s single-handedly killing you in those categories.  You must mean that he’s performing poorly in those categories relative to the cost you paid or other alternatives at the same price.  But if it’s 9 cat H2H all you really need to do is pick 5 categories you expect to win every week and maybe one or two more that you’re competitive in.  If you draft a metrics player such as Turner or Porter you’re targeting the three efficiency cats and stocks.  Maybe you can add threes to the mix.  You’re not targeting points or assists.      Roto is basically similar except that it’s more punitive to punt a category.  Still Turner doesn’t really force you to punt anything, he’s marginally bad in points but you can make that up elsewhere.  He can be a difference maker in blocks.  If you added him to a team who was getting 6-7 roto points in blocks you’d all of a sudden be getting 11-12 most likely.  

This isn’t directed at you specifically I just think it’s intereting when people draft Porter or Turner knowing full well they’re efficiency based players with adequate production in maybe 2-3 categories then when they do most of what they’re projected to do people whine because they’re not doing enough.  If one doesn’t  like seeing 10/5 lines with 2 blocks on 50/75/1 TO then don’t draft him. I saw the hype he was getting with getting in shape and tried to warn people against turning him into something he’s not.  He wasn’t a target of mine, although I do have him in one keeper league I didn’t draft him anywhere.  I just don’t understand how there can be so much disappointment when he’s basically doing what he was projected do.  He was never going to be a 20/10 guy.

• Thanks 1

This guy has been outplayed by Sabonis in every game. He's just too soft and scared of contact unlike Sabonis who always fight for rebounds and not scared to play physical with anybody. Makes me wonder why Mcmillan is still starting Turner over Sabonis.

Thanks for the lecture.  My primary big men are Jokic, Draymond, Horford and Turner.   Obviously I'm targeting percents, stocks and assists as my primary cats with points and rebounds secondary.    I don't target rebounds in the draft as usually, even in a 12 team league, rebounds are freely available from a Tyson Chandler type if you want to try and stream a win on them.

That said, Turner is currently ranked 77th overall.  It's not just that he sucks on the glass -- it's that he's  under performing even pessimistic expectations (like mine) that had him around 60th.  I need more points from him.  I need him to take more shots so my FG% goes up.

It's a long season, still only about 1/5 of the way into the fantasy season so he's got a long a** time to turn it around.

Edited by laurilegend

Didn’t mean for it to be a lecture so I apologize.  It’s not directed at you it’s more of a common complaint.  BBM rankings are helpful before the season begins as it helps guide your draft.  But once the season begins, team construction matters a lot more than overall ranking, especially in H2H. Turner is a great fit in punt assists, punt rebounds, or punt points.  I think in any of those builds he’s probably pulling value roughly equivalent to where you drafted him.  

Conversely, he doesn’t make sense in a lot of builds.  Eg in one of my leagues a guy is punting FT and yet has Turner.  That simple doesn’t make sense to me. In punting FT you’re sacrificing FT with the huge advantage of getting scarce stats relatively cheaply.  So I’m wondering among the people that are complaining how many have flaws in roster construction? I’m probably going to see where I can buy low...

Turner and Brandon Ingram have been my two most disappointing players to date.  I'm really not sure what to do with him at this point.  Might just ride it out for another week or two.  He isn't killing me, but there have been better players scooped up on the waiver wire.  

I think a lot of owners were expecting more than 10/5 when they drafted turner.  Jarrett Allen, Ayton, Gasol, whiteside, Adams, Vucevic, nurkic, Ibaka, Lopez, McGee, WCS, were drafted around same time or several rounds after Turner.  I think it’s totally fair if an owner burnt a fifth round pick to expect a bit more.  Isn’t he supposed to have “upside”.  He seems to be regressing.

14 minutes ago, c_dog said:

I think a lot of owners were expecting more than 10/5 when they drafted turner.  Jarrett Allen, Ayton, Gasol, whiteside, Adams, Vucevic, nurkic, Ibaka, Lopez, McGee, WCS, were drafted around same time or several rounds after Turner.  I think it’s totally fair if an owner burnt a fifth round pick to expect a bit more.  Isn’t he supposed to have “upside”.  He seems to be regressing.

The upside is definitely there. He's young, tall, athletic, has range, mobile and is a good free throw shooter. It's just that he's not committed to play hard unlike Sabonis on every given night. 

4 hours ago, Chickenmane said:

Just acquired him for derrick white, hope he turns things around

I might say you Turnered a profit there. 

• Haha 1