Stefan

Myles Turner 2018-2019 Season Outlook

I didn't watch the game, but was monitoring the box score during it. 8/8/4 blks in just 20 minutes. It was a complete blowout, so I assume that's why he didn't get back in for more than 20mins, especially if that recent ankle mention from Saturday was actually anything. I'm not stoked about 20 minutes, but there is a reason they just gave this guy 80mil and it wasn't so they could feature Sabonis exclusively instead.

Will it be bumpy? Probably...but I'm not mad about 4 blocks.

5 hours ago, EmbiidGOAT said:

How's this going to work with Sabonis killing it like he is?

He did last night, but it was also a complete blowout.  Turner will still get plenty of playing time, but like the person above me said, I'd say a lot of what happened with the usage was because of it being a blowout.  Sabonis will not play more minutes than Turner normally, nor will he outplay Turner on a regular basis either.

Sabnois > Turner...

This will be a 50%/50% timeshare....with Sabonis potentially getting more burn some nights.

Turner is just soft.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richg24 said:

A lot of people were giving advice to avoid at his ADP. Poor last season, yes he was still top 60 but that was almost only due to huge blocks and low turnovers. He didnt help in anything else really. We also told you guys sabonis is a better player and thad young is a solid vet with plenty left in the tank. But people saw a picture of him looking ripped and draft in round 3 and 4 again. Gonna be a bumpy ride I think

I think you're right... I avoided him at all cost .. .¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I was inspired by his first game more than anything. He looked good out there. Aggressive on the boards, great blocks in only 20 mins. I expect to see Sabonis and Turner out there together more. Turner will get his 30 mins. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, damnbadger said:

I was inspired by his first game more than anything. He looked good out there. Aggressive on the boards, great blocks in only 20 mins. I expect to see Sabonis and Turner out there together more. Turner will get his 30 mins. 

Long story short, NO ! :D 

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
There will be some teams that will give us the opportunity to play that match-up,” McMillan added, referring to the pairing of Turner and Sabonis. “That lineup is not really a strength of ours when teams are playing small basketball.

“There has been a lot of talk about Myles and Domas (playing together), but they play the same position,” McMillan noted. “They’re both 5’s. I think we can play that line-up some when teams have bigger personnel out there. We’re able to match up with those teams, but that hasn’t been a strong combination when those two have been out on the floor. You’ve got two centers, and one of them is trying to play the 4 spot. Depending on the line-up your opponent has, that can be challenging.”

Edited by Stefan

I like Turner. I got him off of waivers during his breakout year. With that being said I just think that he is one of those players that will not reach their potential. He has the talent, the tools, but I don't know. He's missing something, kind of like Wiggins. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

They just committed to him Long-Term I don't see his minutes being a problem. He's also still 22 and they will want to develop him more. 

Probably would've done better if not for the early foul troubles, but I don't see him blowing up this year or the next due to the timeshare. If he can stay healthy, chip in good %'s, a trey, and blocks I'll be happy. 

6 hours ago, damnbadger said:

They just committed to him Long-Term I don't see his minutes being a problem. He's also still 22 and they will want to develop him more. 

Exactly.  Conclusions are being drawn based on a game that was a blowout.  Sabonis wouldn't have gotten more minutes than Turner if it was a normal/closer game.

15 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Exactly.  Conclusions are being drawn based on a game that was a blowout.  Sabonis wouldn't have gotten more minutes than Turner if it was a normal/closer game.

But he DID get more minutes and as a result played very well so now who knows how much playing time they will give sabonis

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrowKnees said:

But he DID get more minutes and as a result played very well so now who knows how much playing time they will give sabonis

Yeah, they are going to all of a sudden use their backup center more than a guy they just gave a new contract to...

If last night's game was a close game and Sabonis got more minutes than Turner, then I would be concerned.  That was not the case, so honestly I'm completely throwing out last night's game (aside from the stats Turner gave me of course).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Yeah, they are going to all of a sudden use their backup center more than a guy they just gave a new contract to...

If last night's game was a close game and Sabonis got more minutes than Turner, then I would be concerned.  That was not the case, so honestly I'm completely throwing out last night's game (aside from the stats Turner gave me of course).

The guy had 8 boards and 4 blocks in 20 minutes in a blowout. He regularly gets knocked for not being a strong rebounder (rightfully so and I realize he could finish tonight with like 4 boards) but my unnecessary overreaction from Game 1 of 82 is that I find it encouraging that he still put up 8/8/4bl in 20 minutes in a blowout.

I do have faith in Turner, great diverse skill-set, fast and agile. He just got a big extension and can co-exist wih Sabonis.

Got him in my two leagues, also in past years. He will probably be more irregular than other players at his ADP but I like how he plays.

4 hours ago, Isaacxhan said:

Do you guys see turner or J Allen finishing better this season? I feel like their games are pretty similar

J. Allen

NO DOUBT !

5 hours ago, Isaacxhan said:

Do you guys see turner or J Allen finishing better this season? I feel like their games are pretty similar

Myles Turner should finish ahead. At best I think Allen is last years Turner with less points and more boards

He's not going to get starter's minutes every night, even in close games. As beastly as Myles is, his ADP is his ceiling as long as Sabonis is healthy. The guy is really that good on offense. Today's offenses are about making space, and an elite pick setter like Domas is as useful as the best stretch 5 at making space for creators like Dipo. Add in his decision making on the ball (also elite, according to pretty much every teammate he's ever had) and rebounding, the positives more than make up for defensive deficiencies. It shows in the +/- column; and frankly, if you can't see that the Pacers' first team half-court looks a full tier better with Sabonis in, you should re-watch the games Turner missed. Two headed monster, but only one head can come out to play at a time. Hat's off to coach for handling things pretty good so far. Best thing for the Pacers is to somehow keep them both happy at 20-30 minutes a night.

I won't say Sabonis > Turner. I like them both for different reasons -- high floor, mid-ceiling, mid/late round reliables. Both are top-30 caliber guys, just not on the same team. And the ship hasn't sailed on Turner growing into a 1st rd skillset -- just not this year on that team.

9 hours ago, Sriracha said:

The guy had 8 boards and 4 blocks in 20 minutes in a blowout. He regularly gets knocked for not being a strong rebounder (rightfully so and I realize he could finish tonight with like 4 boards) but my unnecessary overreaction from Game 1 of 82 is that I find it encouraging that he still put up 8/8/4bl in 20 minutes in a blowout.

Unless I'm confusing myself here for no reason, your post has me a tad confused. I have been supporting Turner.

Sabonis severely outplaying myles, note of concern? First year owning him

Its fun having LeVert, Richardson, Ayton, Ingles, Allen, Mirotic. Reveling in the success so far.

But then I remember I also have Turner and thought this was his year. Sigh....

Lloyd-Christmas-Happy-to-Sad.gif?ssl=1

Looking a lot like the Turner of last year has he really gotten better? just doesn't have the knack for rebounds and when he get''s it he has to fight so hard for them and he shoots way to many jumpers for his position. 

4 hours ago, ellejamil said:

Picked up Portis off the wire to try to buy Turner low and I'm still nervous LOL

Don't be one of those guys who adds a player and a few seconds later offers him for turner, if he wanted that trade he would have just picked him up

• Like 1
  • Haha 3