jtbgator

IDP Rankings/Talk

Hello Gents,

Joined an IDP 1PPR league this season with big buy in ($400) and this is my first ever IDP. Are there any threads here with IDP/defensive player talk and rankings?

Starting rosters are crazy!

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, LB, DB, DL, DP (which is like an offensive Flex), DST.

Crazy scoring settings. 1 PT per tackle; like offensive 1PPR. 5 PTS per sack, turnovers, blocks, etc.

Anyway, hope there's some talk here about defensive players.

Tremaine Edmunds won't leave the field and the Bills have the most selfless/questionable scorekeepers in favor of their defensive players (no way Preston Brown led the 

NFL in tackles last year).  Coupled with the fact that they will be behind in games and the opposition will be running a lot, I think he's a fringe top 5 option that you wouldn't even have to draft.

• Like 1

Just curious how early you start taking the defensive players in this type of format. I’ve only ever played in one IDP league before and I’m doing another one this year. Drafting tonight.

Scoring is crazy in mine as well as it’s 2pts for solo tackle, 1 for assisted tackle and 3pts for sacks/turnovers. The top defensive players are projected for similar points as guys going in the 1st round in half ppr format. We only have a LB, DL, and DB. 

My first thought was to load up early on the studs since they’re projected such high point totals with being given 2 points per tackle. But then I thought there are so many IDP players that can give me good points that maybe I make sure I build my offense early and wait on defense. 

Just cursious how those experienced in this format handle this. 

Edited by BostonCajun

1 minute ago, BostonCajun said:

Just curious how early you start taking the defensive players in this type of format. I’ve only ever played in one IDP league before and I’m doing another one this year. Drafting tonight.

Scoring is crazy in mine as well as it’s 2pts for solo tackle, 1 for assisted tackle and 3pts for sacks/turnovers. The top defensive players are projected for similar points as guys going in the 1st round in half ppr format. We only have a LB, DL, and DB. 

My first thought was to load up early on the studs since they’re projected such high point totals with being given 2 points per tackle. But then I thought there are so many IDP players that can give me good points that maybe I make sure I build my offense early and wait on defense. 

Just cursious how those experienced in this format handle this. 

I only played in a IDP once myself, which was a couple years ago. Didn't like it too much.

The defensive players were going like around in Round 8. Just draft the offensive players like you usually would. I would reach a round earlier for a  Watt, Kuechly or Wagner though. 

• Like 1

I'm in my first ever IDP league this year and I have no clue. Some say it's best to just fill your roster with dudes that get a lot of tackles. Then play the wire throughout the year. I dunno, gonna be difficult since I don't really follow defensive players much. 

Just now, jtbgator said:

I'm in my first ever IDP league this year and I have no clue. Some say it's best to just fill your roster with dudes that get a lot of tackles. Then play the wire throughout the year. I dunno, gonna be difficult since I don't really follow defensive players much. 

That's pretty much the way. Just go after tackling machines and ball hogs and play the waivers.

Fantasypros is a good site to look up and research IDP's.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/idp-cheatsheets.php

• Like 1

I’m doing this for the first time and plan to stream players depending on matchups. The points are very low for these players in this league so I guess it depends on the settings.

3 hours ago, jtbgator said:

Try to target players who have late byes. I have Mosley (week 10) and Jamal Adams (week 11) as my IDP starters. That way you dont have to drop a lotto ticket RB or handcuff  in week 4 when Kuechly is on his bye. 

Tackles are generally key and the dominating stat for IDP fantasy production in most IDP leagues. My dynasty I'm in is IDP and with the way the settings are there isn't a big variation across the league.

The IDP studs every year are the ones that put up an absurd amount of sacks or force turnovers to go along with a healthy amount of tackles. And those guys are really difficult to predict.

I only play in one IDP league at a time each season. There's so many more players and names to keep track of. Fantasy overload. But I do love the IDP league I'm in. Loads of fun.

Yes, LB generally are the most valuable, then Safeties if your league differentiates between DB slots  with S and CB. Guys who are true Safeties produce more than CB. We also use DT and DE and not just DL slots. DE guys are more valuable than DT. There's not usually a lot of separation in points between the top 10 to 15 DT each season. The top DE guys are very valuable. Of course this all depends on your settings too, I'm just speaking in IDP generalities.

Edited by k.k.
clarification

On 7/24/2018 at 6:33 PM, jtbgator said:

Hello Gents,

Joined an IDP 1PPR league this season with big buy in ($400) and this is my first ever IDP. Are there any threads here with IDP/defensive player talk and rankings?

Starting rosters are crazy!

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, LB, DB, DL, DP (which is like an offensive Flex), DST.

Crazy scoring settings. 1 PT per tackle; like offensive 1PPR. 5 PTS per sack, turnovers, blocks, etc.

Anyway, hope there's some talk here about defensive players.

That's not enough IDPs, imho. With only 4 IDPs, you can always find a guy on the wire who is just as good as the guys on your roster. To me, it's like playing with regular FF settings...except you only use 4 teams. I played in an IDP league for the last 7 years until this year, and we STARTED 3 DL, 4 LB, 4 DB. It was by far the most satisfying, challenging, and fun IDP league I have ever played in. Our settings were: 2pts solo, 1pt assist, 3pts sack, 3pts int, 3pts fumble rec, 2pts forced fumble, 2 pts safety, 1pt pbu. 

Watching the evolution of thought in that league was fascinating because it elevated the best IDPs to the same level as the top offensive players. Instead of afterthoughts, IDPs became an integral part in team structure and the draft. I loved the challenge of that league...it's a shame I had to leave it this year. 

On 7/25/2018 at 10:08 AM, Olliemets said:

Tremaine Edmunds won't leave the field and the Bills have the most selfless/questionable scorekeepers in favor of their defensive players (no way Preston Brown led the 

NFL in tackles last year).  Coupled with the fact that they will be behind in games and the opposition will be running a lot, I think he's a fringe top 5 option that you wouldn't even have to draft.

I was not missing on this dude this year. Great call

8 hours ago, heatdawg said:

I have been playing IDP since 2004. This is the best site I have found for IDP by far. And the price is right for the purchase access option.

http://www.idpguru.com/

Thank me later

^^^Listen to this guy. There is such a dearth of IDP info out there, and you have to almost scrounge to find anything. But idpguru.com is THE best I've found and nothing is even close. Pay to get his preseason info, and you won't be upset. And then check every week for his IDP waiver suggestions...3-down LB list...breakdown of how scorekeepers differ (he'll warn you about a LB you have that is about to go to a stadium where the scorekeepers are stingy with the assists)...etc. Great site and very informative. 

• Like 2

Just now, Flyman75 said:

So much truth here. With only 4 IDPs started, I'd draft my kicker before I'd draft my first IDP. 

Oh...and dear lord in heaven. La chica knew exactly what she was doing there. 

Weathergirl needs to be drafted hard. IDPs can wait.

Just now, cohenstantinople said:

Weathergirl needs to be drafted hard. IDPs can wait.

Amen. First round pick right there. 

Another vote for idpguru. It's a great source. If you're only playing with a few idp guys it's kind of lame (the sheer ww depth makes it almost pointless) but it's a nice way to dive into the idea. If you can't get an elite guy don't worry about chasing the positions. Outside of the elites there are plenty of ww matchup guys to play with. Moreso than with offensive players, scheme can, and does, often trump talent. Hometown scorekeepers also have a massive influence on things.

• Like 1

IDP league I'm in, you can be down 25 points going into MNF and have one player going and still pull out a win

Defensive PlayersLeague ValueYahoo Default Value

Defensive Players League Value Yahoo Default Value
Tackle Solo 2 1
Sack 5 2
Interception 5 3
Fumble Force 4 2
Fumble Recovery 3 2
Defensive Touchdown 6  
Safety 5 2
Pass Defended 1  
Block Kick 5 2
Tackles for Loss 1 0
Turnover Return Yards 10 yards per point 0
Extra Point Returned

5 2
Edited by wendellrott

I've been playing FFBall with IDPs since ~2002; several different formats/styles: Re-draft, Auction/Contracts Dynasty, Keeper...re-draft with IDPs is easily my favorite. *my lone FFBall team, and current 12 Team IDP Keeper is in my signature.

Understanding your leagues scoring for each individual IDP position, and how they compare vs each other (weight of each IDP position vs other IDP positions), and vs the offensive positions, as well, is vital when judging what value to place on IDPs overall (where to draft said IDPs).

My current league requires: 2 DL (DT or DE), 2 LB, 2 DB (S or DB) + 1 IDP FLEX (any IDP position). Again, league scoring matters, but I tend to lean on: MIKE or Middle Linebackers in a 4-3 (MLB), or Inside Linebackers in a 3-4 (ILB), DEs in a 4-3 (although there are exceptions), and Safetys. This league also differentiates between the 3 IDP positions, weighting particular play/scoring differently based on the IDP position. *pay attention to nfl player designations as well, for example: Chubb being labeled an OLB is not ideal, where Bruce Irvin being labeled a DE (like KMack) adds some big time potential to his scoring.

*the free content on idpguru and fantasyfootballsharks is great B)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wendellrott said:

IDP league I'm in, you can be down 25 points going into MNF and have one player going and still pull out a win

Defensive PlayersLeague ValueYahoo Default Value

Defensive Players League Value Yahoo Default Value
Tackle Solo 2 1
Sack 5 2
Interception 5 3
Fumble Force 4 2
Fumble Recovery 3 2
Defensive Touchdown 6  
Safety 5 2
Pass Defended 1  
Block Kick 5 2
Tackles for Loss 1 0
Turnover Return Yards 10 yards per point 0
Extra Point Returned

5 2

sack force/fumble is the same a 50 yard td run? Umm yeah I'll pass. The default scoring is sufficient. Fantasy is an offensive sport right? I'm in IDP and I love it. A LB and a K vs a flex on MNF makes things interesting. In your scoring you'd need Gurley to beat that pairing 

:psst: anybody got any thoughts on DE Carl Lawson CIN? His "DE" designation has me intrigued :ph34r: 

*thinking of dropping one of my RB lottery tickets for him

Edited by FollowTheLeader

1 hour ago, Joe Odam said:

sack force/fumble is the same a 50 yard td run? Umm yeah I'll pass. The default scoring is sufficient. Fantasy is an offensive sport right? I'm in IDP and I love it. A LB and a K vs a flex on MNF makes things interesting. In your scoring you'd need Gurley to beat that pairing 

I agree that scoring system is extreme, but who ever said fantasy is an offensive sport?? Because that's how it started? Fantasy football is not just an offensive hobby...it's whatever you make it, and frankly, I hate IDP leagues in which the IDPs aren't on the same scoring level as the offensive players (and have as much roster representation). It makes them an afterthought, which makes them pointless, imho. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Odam said:

Fantasy is an offensive sport right? 

No. It's a game that can be played however you please. I prefer idp setups that require a lot of defensive players and allows the elite idp guys to hold their own against most offensive players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

:psst: anybody got any thoughts on DE Carl Lawson CIN? His "DE" designation has me intrigued :ph34r: 

*thinking of dropping one of my RB lottery tickets for him

I don't know man...I loved the guy last year, and I think he had a 3-sack game or something like that. The talent is there, but he was mostly disappointing. And it wasn't because his snap count was low...he was actually on the field quite a bit. He just didn't produce like I hoped. 

My question is...where's he going to play for Cincy? According to ourlads.com, he's buried on the depth chart at DE. Have you caught wind of him playing OLB or something?