jtbgator

IDP Rankings/Talk

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

:psst: anybody got any thoughts on DE Carl Lawson CIN? His "DE" designation has me intrigued :ph34r: 

*thinking of dropping one of my RB lottery tickets for him

26 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't know man...I loved the guy last year, and I think he had a 3-sack game or something like that. The talent is there, but he was mostly disappointing. And it wasn't because his snap count was low...he was actually on the field quite a bit. He just didn't produce like I hoped. 

My question is...where's he going to play for Cincy? According to ourlads.com, he's buried on the depth chart at DE. Have you caught wind of him playing OLB or something? 

From what I gathered, he's going to start in the nickle. Which is good because most teams play nickle over their typical base defense nowadays. He is kinda short, so don't expect him to be on the field all the time. especially in run support.

And that was basically the consensus in this article I found:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/8/16/17693116/bengals-larger-role-for-carl-lawson-after-breakout-rookie-season#comments

14 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Weathergirl needs to be drafted hard. IDPs can wait.

"Hard" is the key word here. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't know man...I loved the guy last year, and I think he had a 3-sack game or something like that. The talent is there, but he was mostly disappointing. And it wasn't because his snap count was low...he was actually on the field quite a bit. He just didn't produce like I hoped. 

My question is...where's he going to play for Cincy? According to ourlads.com, he's buried on the depth chart at DE. Have you caught wind of him playing OLB or something? 

1 hour ago, Trench Mob said:

From what I gathered, he's going to start in the nickle. Which is good because most teams play nickle over their typical base defense nowadays. He is kinda short, so don't expect him to be on the field all the time. especially in run support.

And that was basically the consensus in this article I found:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/8/16/17693116/bengals-larger-role-for-carl-lawson-after-breakout-rookie-season#comments

What I gathered from my research is that he would be playing from the OLB position (which could/should elevate his tackle numbers from last year), while being designated as a "DE." My league, like many other IDP leagues, scores tackles higher for the DL position (as they get less) vs other IDP positions. These guys can be gold. *Kahlil Mack sees an uptick in scoring as a DE vs if he were a LB (not only through volume, but individual league scoring), same reasoning behind downgrading DL who are designated as OLB (see Chubb).

DL = 3pt/solo and 1.5/assist

LB = 2pt/solo and 1pt/assist

*there are a few other differences, but no reason to go that far...

45 solo/15 assist/9 sack/1 FF/1 RF/2 PD = 162pts for a "LB" vs 217 pts for a "DL". *fantasy sharks has Lawson currently at 45 solos (I filled in the rest.)

5 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

What I gathered from my research is that he would be playing from the OLB position (which could/should elevate his tackle numbers from last year), while being designated as a "DE." My league, like many other IDP leagues, scores tackles higher for the DL position (as they get less) vs other IDP positions. These guys can be gold. *Kahlil Mack sees an uptick in scoring as a DE vs if he were a LB (not only through volume, but individual league scoring), same reasoning behind downgrading DL who are designated as OLB (see Chubb).

DL = 3pt/solo and 1.5/assist

LB = 2pt/solo and 1pt/assist

*there are a few other differences, but no reason to go that far...

45 solo/15 assist/9 sack/1 FF/1 RF/2 PD = 162pts for a "LB" vs 217 pts for a "DL". *fantasy sharks has Lawson currently at 45 solos (I filled in the rest.)

Him along with Atkins, Dunlap, and Billings, that D-Line is looking something serious.

It's insane value everywhere on that team. 

9 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

sack force/fumble is the same a 50 yard td run? Umm yeah I'll pass. The default scoring is sufficient. Fantasy is an offensive sport right? I'm in IDP and I love it. A LB and a K vs a flex on MNF makes things interesting. In your scoring you'd need Gurley to beat that pairing 

well if that's what works for you ok

lets see in our league

Gurley going for 50 and a TD      40 yard run +1   40 yard TD +1 TD +6  10 yards per point +5 = 13 points

Myles Garret      Sack +5   FF +4  FR +3  D TD +6  40 yard return +4 = 22 points

which one is the biggest game changer?

which one is the biggest play?

James Harrison's 95 yard TD run in the Super Bowl comes to mind

IDP should be based on big plays

Best IDP player in 2017      C.J. Mosley  262 points

LeSean McCoy 2017    266 points

Edited by wendellrott
mistake

...a few dark horse/off the immediate radar IDP plays, who if not already, may be landing themselves starting gigs as we speak:

DE Bruce Irvin OAK *playing OLB, but designated as a "DE." Look for a higher volume in solo/assists than the standard DE player.

LB Cory Littleton LAR *he's been touted as the starter alongside Barron, and not much has changed. Really like the LBs in LAR playing behind DTs NSuh AND ADarnold.

LB Ja'Whaun Bentley NE *looks to be the starting MLB in NE (wearing the dot) and has overcome his perceived shortcoming at the position so far.

LB Skai Moore IND *DWalker can't stay healthy, and this guy is the next man up @ the MLB position on a porous defense.

LB Fred Warner SF *MSmith can't stay healthy and Foster is Susp. for two games. Warner has shown he has the physicality/smarts to man the ILB position.

edit: I've also been big on DE RGregory DAL (kept him from last season), but figured most are on to him now...hopefully he avoids any further discipline.

Edited by FollowTheLeader
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish IDPGuru had a more involved forum community.

i play in a couple integrated IDP leagues. Basically 3-4 IDPs in addition to typical offensive rosters.

is Budda Baker legit this year?

what are realistic expectations for RoQuan Smith

Did my first IDP draft last night. Have to admit, it was hard; my first ever IDP. Ended up with:

Bobby Wagner, Landon Collins, Anthony Hitchens, Everson Griffen, Jarrad Davis

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

I wish IDPGuru had a more involved forum community.

i play in a couple integrated IDP leagues. Basically 3-4 IDPs in addition to typical offensive rosters.

is Budda Baker legit this year?

what are realistic expectations for RoQuan Smith

Yes, IMHO BBaker is legit this year.

IMHO we may not see RSmith reach his ceiling until DTrevathan is out of the way...maybe next season. *I took LB TEdmunds over RSmith for this reason, in addition to the tackle happy stat crew in Buffalo. RSmith should certainly be an LB2 (top 24).

43 minutes ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

what is the outlook for Edmunds? Is he even a lock for 80% snaps?

Edmunds will not come off the field...at all.

44 minutes ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

Whichever is borderable rosterable in most of my leagues.

...wasn't sure what to make of this?

17 hours ago, twistedude said:

Who are some good Defensive Lineman to target outside of the top 5?

The names I'd target in the 5-20ish range: DE YNgakoue JAX, DE DHunter, DE Robert Quinn MIA, DE MGarrett, DE JPPaul TB, DE FClark SEA, DE BIrvin OAK, DE TFlowers NE, DE EAnsah DET, DE RGregory DAL

I bolded the two DEs I'd aim for at the two most polar ends of the value spectrum. *Gregory isn't much of a sleeper any more though...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

The names I'd target in the 5-20ish range: DE YNgakoue JAX, DE DHunter, DE Robert Quinn MIA, DE MGarrett, DE JPPaul TB, DE FClark SEA, DE BIrvin OAK, DE TFlowers NE, DE EAnsah DET, DE RGregory DAL

I bolded the two DEs I'd aim for at the two most polar ends of the value spectrum. *Gregory isn't much of a sleeper any more though...

Thanks!! Ngakoue was off the board when I picked, but I grabbed Danielle Hunter and Carlos Dunlap for my two starting DL spots (I missed out on the top tier - doh!)

19 hours ago, twistedude said:

Who are some good Defensive Lineman to target outside of the top 5?

Bradley Chubb, if he has the DE designation which he does on Yahoo

he was the best defensive player in this years draft

and will play outside linebacker, book ending Miller

should garner a fair amount of tackles and could push for double digit sacks

• Like 1

I'm in a 16-team IDP keeper league, which uses 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB and 1 Def Flex.

I've been in the league many years and there have been one or two occasions where a defensive player has been kept (JJ Watt, and I think Brian Urlacher back in the day). Overall, I agree that getting tackle machines is key. If you can get one consistent IDP at LB, that can really be an asset and free up your flexibility. I've pulled out many wins because some owners pay little-to-no attention to the defensive aspect, and thus get limited production there. With that said, playing the WW with IDP's is extremely important in my experience. 

In this year's draft (started on 8/20 and was a slow live draft), here were the first 10 defensive players picked, to give a general idea of where guys were going:

Jaedeveon Clowney was the first IDP at pick 83.

Khalil Mack went next, at pick 84. 

Luke Kuechly at 95.

JJ Watt went at 98.

Bobby Wagner went at 105. 
Kenanu Neal at 108.

Joey Bosa at 116.

Telvin Smith at 117.

CJ Mosley at 119 (this was my first IDP pick of the draft).

Landon Collins at 120.

Just now, Corleone said:

I'm in a 16-team IDP keeper league, which uses 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB and 1 Def Flex.

I've been in the league many years and there have been one or two occasions where a defensive player has been kept (JJ Watt, and I think Brian Urlacher back in the day). Overall, I agree that getting tackle machines is key. If you can get one consistent IDP at LB, that can really be an asset and free up your flexibility. I've pulled out many wins because some owners pay little-to-no attention to the defensive aspect, and thus get limited production there. With that said, playing the WW with IDP's is extremely important in my experience. 

In this year's draft (started on 8/20 and was a slow live draft), here were the first 10 defensive players picked, to give a general idea of where guys were going:

Jaedeveon Clowney was the first IDP at pick 83.

Khalil Mack went next, at pick 84. 

Luke Kuechly at 95.

JJ Watt went at 98.

Bobby Wagner went at 105. 
Kenanu Neal at 108.

Joey Bosa at 116.

Telvin Smith at 117.

CJ Mosley at 119 (this was my first IDP pick of the draft).

Landon Collins at 120.

Cant really argue with those picks. Only one I'm not crazy about is Neal that early. I like grabbing DB's early and Neal is a beast but not sure about 1st DB of the board ahead of guys like Bosa and Collins.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wendellrott said:

Bradley Chubb, if he has the DE designation which he does on Yahoo

he was the best defensive player in this years draft

and will play outside linebacker, book ending Miller

should garner a fair amount of tackles and could push for double digit sacks

Be very careful with this one. The NFL and Denver have designated Chubb a Strong Side Linebacker...not a Defensive End. Most reputable leagues use the NFL/Teams designation as their guideline. *myfanatyleague.com for example, designated Chubb as a SLB, as it should. Generally, for IDP fantasy purposes the payoff in these types of "labeling" examples is when the NFL designates a LB as a "DE," which allows for a "DE" to get more tackles than general, by playing from a backer position, as well as take advantage of defensive linemen scoring in fantasy, which generally gives more pts/tackle and pts/sacks to DEs.

If Yahoo does in fact label Chubb as a DE, then certainly feel free to commit highway robbery :D

3 minutes ago, bigslick631 said:

Cant really argue with those picks. Only one I'm not crazy about is Neal that early. I like grabbing DB's early and Neal is a beast but not sure about 1st DB of the board ahead of guys like Bosa and Collins.

Agreed...there were others I would have went with above Neal (including the guy I got, in Mosley). But overall, I think people handled IDP's pretty well with one main exception. The exception is the Clowney pick. In no way do I think he is close to the best IDP for fantasy (he was 36th amongst all IDP's in our scoring system last season...and last season was by far his best season).