jtbgator

IDP Rankings/Talk

2 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Be very careful with this one. The NFL and Denver have designated Chubb a Strong Side Linebacker...not a Defensive End. Most reputable leagues use the NFL/Teams designation as their guideline. *myfanatyleague.com for example, designated Chubb as a SLB, as it should. Generally, for IDP fantasy purposes the payoff in these types of "labeling" examples is when the NFL designates a LB as a "DE," which allows for a "DE" to get more tackles than general, by playing from a backer position, as well as take advantage of defensive linemen scoring in fantasy, which generally gives more pts/tackle and pts/sacks to DEs.

If Yahoo does in fact label Chubb as a DE, then certainly feel free to commit highway robbery :D

Agreed. And just to add, Chubb is a LB on CBS as well. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigslick631 said:

Cant really argue with those picks. Only one I'm not crazy about is Neal that early. I like grabbing DB's early and Neal is a beast but not sure about 1st DB of the board ahead of guys like Bosa and Collins.

I agree with your assessment that Neal shouldn't have being taken over the next 4 on that list (disclaimer: not knowing league scoring set-up).

...and I am the complete opposite. After the top 2-3 Ss are off the board, I'll wait. There are a ton of DBs in comparison to the number of worthwhile DLs and LBs.

To each their own B)

I am also a LB whore. I view them as the RB of the IDPs...upside and trade bait, as well as co<k blo<ks. Case in point: I am currently carrying 7 LBs (we can only play up to 3), 2 are required, and one may be a FLEX. Aside from the LBs currently on my roster (in signature), many of which were added off the wire, by freeing up space via trades (JBentley, MLee, CLittleton), I've turned LBs Shaq Thompson, Skai Moore, LVEsch + 1 DE (EAnsah) into:

2019 Rookie 1:xx

2019 Rookie 2:xx

*I had zero future rookie picks before these moves.

Edited by FollowTheLeader
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

I agree with your assessment of Neal being taken over the next 4 on that list (disclaimer: not knowing league scoring set-up).

...and I am the complete opposite. After the top 2-3 Ss are off the board, I'll wait. There are a ton of DBs in comparison to the number of worthwhile DLs and LBs.

To each their own B)

I am also a LB whore. I view them as the RB of the IDPs. Case in point: I am currently carrying 7 LBs (we can only play up to 3), 2 are required, and one may be a FLEX. Aside from the LBs currently on my roster (in signature), and along with freeing up space for other players I've turned LBs Shaq Thompson, Skai Moore, LVEsch + 1 DE (EAnsah) into:

2019 Rookie 1:xx

*I had zero future rookie picks before these moves.

For the scoring system, it is as follows:

ATK Assisted Tackles (ID only) .5 points
BFB Blocked Field Goals (ID/ST/DST) 2 points
BP Blocked Punts (ID/ST/DST) 2 points
DFR Defensive/ST Fumble Recovered (ID/DT/DST) 3 points
DTD Total Defensive and Special Teams TD 6 points
FF Forced Fumble 2 points
Int Interceptions 3 points
KRYd Kick Return Yards (ID/ST/DST) 0+ KRYds = .033 points for every 1 KRYd
PDef Pass Defensed (ID only) 1 point
PRYd Punt Return Yards (ID/ST/DST) 0+ PRYds = .033 points for every 1 PRYd
SACK Sack 4 points
STY Safety 2 points
TK Tackle (ID/DT/DST) 1 point

Mosley was the top scorer amongst IDP's in 2017 and he scored 149 FP's (9.3 PPG). As a point of comparison, that placed him 15th amongst offensive players (in between McCoy and Fournette). 

I also view LB as the premium IDP position and that's the one position I always will draft in depth and to use as my Def Flex (whereas DL and DB, I almost never take a backup, as I will use the WW for that).

Edited by Corleone
  • Like 2

I’m in my first ever IDP this year. I only took 1 LB, Bobby Wagner. Well, 2 (Anthony Hitchens, but he’s my D flex). Are IDP pretty much just set and forget for 1 player? Or do y’all get depth? Sounds like a dumb question I know. I ended up getting Everson Griffen, Landon Collins, along with Wagner and Hitchens. 1 tackle = 1 point.

My league starts:

1 LB (Wagner)

1 DL (Griffen)

1 DB (Collins)

1 flex (Hitchens)

14 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Agreed...there were others I would have went with above Neal (including the guy I got, in Mosley). But overall, I think people handled IDP's pretty well with one main exception. The exception is the Clowney pick. In no way do I think he is close to the best IDP for fantasy (he was 36th amongst all IDP's in our scoring system last season...and last season was by far his best season). 

I like your pick in Mosley, I missed him this year. I also agree that Clowney isn't worth the 1st IDP pick. Oddly enough he was the first IDP in my draft as well. I ended up with Bosa, R. jones (my targeted S), B. Martinez (GB beast LB), Z. Brown (LB I had last year as well). Very happy with my team.  

• Like 2

Just now, jtbgator said:

I’m in my first ever IDP this year. I only took 1 LB, Bobby Wagner. Well, 2 (Anthony Hitchens, but he’s my D flex). Are IDP pretty much just set and forget for 1 player? Or do y’all get depth? Sounds like a dumb question I know. I ended up getting Everson Griffen, Landon Collins, along with Wagner and Hitchens. 1 tackle = 1 point.

My league starts:

1 LB (Wagner)

1 DL (Griffen)

1 DB (Collins)

1 flex (Hitchens)

my league only needs to start 1 LB, 1 DL, 1 DB and 1 flex D. So no, I do not take depth at D positions. my league also has a rather short bench so I just pick up to fill the flex spot as byes come around.

17 minutes ago, Corleone said:

For the scoring system, it is as follows:

ATK Assisted Tackles (ID only) .5 points
BFB Blocked Field Goals (ID/ST/DST) 2 points
BP Blocked Punts (ID/ST/DST) 2 points
DFR Defensive/ST Fumble Recovered (ID/DT/DST) 3 points
DTD Total Defensive and Special Teams TD 6 points
FF Forced Fumble 2 points
Int Interceptions 3 points
KRYd Kick Return Yards (ID/ST/DST) 0+ KRYds = .033 points for every 1 KRYd
PDef Pass Defensed (ID only) 1 point
PRYd Punt Return Yards (ID/ST/DST) 0+ PRYds = .033 points for every 1 PRYd
SACK Sack 4 points
STY Safety 2 points
TK Tackle (ID/DT/DST) 1 point

Mosley was the top scorer amongst IDP's in 2017 and he scored 149 FP's (9.3 PPG). As a point of comparison, that placed him 15th amongst offensive players (in between McCoy and Fournette). 

I also view LB as the premium IDP position and that's the one position I always will draft in depth and to use as my Def Flex (whereas DL and DB, I almost never take a backup, as I will use the WW for that).

So, no differentiation between positions and scoring? No biggie, just confirming. I like weighted scoring, but understand simple is good too.

This definitely sets the LB as the most valuable overall, along with the top DL and a few DBs.

2 minutes ago, bigslick631 said:

I like your pick in Mosley, I missed him this year. I also agree that Clowney isn't worth the 1st IDP pick. Oddly enough he was the first IDP in my draft as well. I ended up with Bosa, R. jones (my targeted S), B. Martinez (GB beast LB), Z. Brown (LB I had last year as well). Very happy with my team.  

That's bizarre that Clowney was #1 in both of our leagues. I like your IDP's a lot; that is an excellent set of players! Blake Martinez was someone I thought I was going to be able to snag and pair with Mosley, but he went literally the pick ahead of me (so I shifted gears and picked up a WR instead).

Overall, I have Mosley, Joe Schobert LB for my Def Flex spot, Jordan Cameron DL (finished as the #2 DL last year, just 1 point behind #1), and Budda Baker DB (who I am very high on, as he emerged in the second half of the season and was quite a force). I was able to get Baker pretty late, and I think he's a good snag for IDP owners without having to pay a premium price. 

7 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

So, no differentiation between positions and scoring? No biggie, just confirming. I like weighted scoring, but understand simple is good too.

This definitely sets the LB as the most valuable overall, along with the top DL and a few DBs.

Correct, no differentiation between IDP positions for scoring. It has worked out pretty well, and each season, there is a good mix of the three IDP positions towards the top of the leaderboard, though as you mention, LB is definitely the most valuable overall. 

LB is the most valuable but also the easiest to find replacements, IMO. Most teams have at least one or two LB's that rack up decent tackles. I value DL's and DB's more since studs at those positions are harder to find. Also, my league offers pts for TFL which is HUGE for the DL position.

29 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

My league starts:

1 LB (Wagner)

1 DL (Griffen)

1 DB (Collins)

1 flex (Hitchens)

I use the same positions and just looked at my last 4 seasons of drafts in my IDP league....

This year in 2018, I didn't draft any IDP backups (my two LB's don't have byes until Weeks 10/11)

In 2017, I drafted one backup LB

In 2016, I drafted one backup LB

In 2015, I drafted one backup LB

Edited by Corleone

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, FollowTheLeader said:

...a few dark horse/off the immediate radar IDP plays, who if not already, may be landing themselves starting gigs as we speak:

DE Bruce Irvin OAK *playing OLB, but designated as a "DE." Look for a higher volume in solo/assists than the standard DE player.

LB Cory Littleton LAR *he's been touted as the starter alongside Barron, and not much has changed. Really like the LBs in LAR playing behind DTs NSuh AND ADarnold.

LB Ja'Whaun Bentley NE *looks to be the starting MLB in NE (wearing the dot) and has overcome his perceived shortcoming at the position so far.

LB Skai Moore IND *DWalker can't stay healthy, and this guy is the next man up @ the MLB position on a porous defense.

LB Fred Warner SF *MSmith can't stay healthy and Foster is Susp. for two games. Warner has shown he has the physicality/smarts to man the ILB position.

edit: I've also been big on DE RGregory DAL (kept him from last season), but figured most are on to him now...hopefully he avoids any further discipline.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, FollowTheLeader said:

Another LB possibly off the radar is LB Marquel Lee OAK.

Add PIT LB Matthew Thomas to the list. PITT LB John Bostic has disappointed at ILB, as has have Matakevich and Fort. As a result, Pittsburgh had already instilled a hybrid defensive scheme, "Seminole," in order to get LB MThomas on the field, and last night they gave him extended playing time; he did not disappoint: 6 solos + 5 Assists + 1 Sack + 1 FF + 1 FR

Any DB suggestions here?

I ended up drafting Sean Davis (Pit) and Darius Slay (Det), but now I feel like I drafted them off last year’s stats that re unlikely to repeat. I wanted to grab guys like Jones (GB) or Tartt (SF) but they already got snagged... 

what other targets are are out there? I’m genuinely confused as to how to dig deeper into DB rankings....

Just now, Dr.Funktopus said:

Any DB suggestions here?

I ended up drafting Sean Davis (Pit) and Darius Slay (Det), but now I feel like I drafted them off last year’s stats that re unlikely to repeat. I wanted to grab guys like Jones (GB) or Tartt (SF) but they already got snagged... 

what other targets are are out there? I’m genuinely confused as to how to dig deeper into DB rankings....

Does your league count return yards? There are a handful of DB's that have sneaky value due punt returns. Adoree' Jackson, Desmond King...

14 minutes ago, Dr.Funktopus said:

Any DB suggestions here?

This is one site I use that can be a good start: http://www.fftoday.com/rankings/playerrank.php?o=1&PosID=70&LeagueID=1

I mentioned him earlier, but Budda Baker (#8 in the above rankings) is an upside DB that I like. 

19 minutes ago, Dr.Funktopus said:

Any DB suggestions here?

edit: IDPs can show higher variability year-year due to changes in DST scheme, so certainly something to keep an eye on.

I was also high on S JJones GB, as he might move down in the box as a SS/LB, but GB has since signed LB AMorrison to fill the Ryan void (after Burks filled in and was injured as well), and since S KBrice has returned from injury, Jones has taken a back seat :drat:

I don't draft Corner Backs...ever, but that is just me, so I don't pay much attention to Kick Return stats.

Please list the available "DBs" in your league B) *one thing I tend to pay attention to, regarding DB searches is, Safety's who play behind suspect LB cores.

2 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

I don't draft Corner Backs...ever, but that is just me, so I don't pay much attention to Kick Return stats.

every now and then there is  CB that is as good as any other DB   Peanut Tillman, Antoine Winfield was two very good run tackling Corners

both was very highly drafted, also both had the knack to be to create big plays       

best tackling, big play CB now is Desmond King

had 66 solos last year, that's more than Harrison Smith 

and if your league counts Return Yards he's Gold

4 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Please list the available "DBs" in your league B) *one thing I tend to pay attention to, regarding DB searches is, Safety's who play behind suspect LB cores.

Ya I totally agree with that assessment

sadly, no return yards for DBs, but we do get points for pass deflections. And Budda baker is gone too unfortunately. We have two of each defensive level, so there isn’t that much left. But here is what is remaining based on last year’s stats:

Desmond King (CB)

Tre’davious White (CB)

Grover Quin (S)

Patrick Chung (S)

Malcolm Jenkins (S)

Kyle Fuller (CB)

Jason McCourtey (CB)

And for those with the highest projected points:

Justin Simmons (S)

Karl Joseph (S)

Justin Evans (S)

AJ Bouye (CB)

Barry Church (S)

LaMarcus Joyner (S)

Jalen Ramsey (CB)

But are any of these options better than Sean Davis (S) and Darrius Slay (CB)?

I like Justin Evans and Chung out of that group.

Evans is entrenched at FS and racks up lots of tackles and a few INTs. 

Chung gets a lot of TE assignments and is always on the field. 

Although I tend to shy away from Pats defenders, because any injury information is often extremely scarce.

• Thanks 1

I agree with AFOne's assessment of S Justin Evans. The addition of S TJ Ward just prior to last season slowed this guys progress/production, so hopefully :POW: in his second year

I'm banking on better LB play with LB FWarner in the picture, either filling in for Foster, or and/replacing Smith next to Foster, so I'm not sure about Tartt, other than, Reid wont be in the picture. The arrival of S's Morgan Burnett AND S TEdmunds in PIT may change things for Davis as well.

I do like S JSimmons, but he does have Chubb on the scene now, and I like the potential of S Sua' Cravens if he makes the team.

S Justin Evans

S Berry Church :meh:

S LaMarcus Joyner *he'll have a chance to make plays on the back end of that DST with Donald AND Sue applying pressure up front.

IMHO *keep an eye on George Iloka MIN *I'm not sure if they brought him in to replace an injured ASendejo, or play 3 high, and let Smith run free.

• Thanks 1

Avery Williamson  ILB for the Jets could have a monster year

nothing has really changed from what made Demario Davis an IDP stud last year

Williamson may actually be more talented at that position

• Like 1

I agree, regarding Williamson. I hadn't listed him earlier as he is well known in my IDP circle, but he certainly could be under the radar for others, due to his trade to a better situation.

Does a Kahlil Mack to Chicago trade lower his value? Early reports are to play him opposite, Leonard Floyd who is designated as a "LB".

A switch from DE to LB, depending on individual league scoring, could impact his FFBall value greatly. Or, would his contract, which will be based on his value as a "pass rusher," either lock him into a "DE" designation, irregardless of team scheme/base DST, or not matter at all?

47 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Does a Kahlil Mack to Chicago trade lower his value? Early reports are to play him opposite, Leonard Floyd who is designated as a "LB".

A switch from DE to LB, depending on individual league scoring, could impact his FFBall value greatly. Or, would his contract, which will be based on his value as a "pass rusher," either lock him into a "DE" designation, irregardless of team scheme/base DST, or not matter at all?

Wow, this post is how I found out about Mack being traded to Chicago! It's an interesting question as to how this affects his fantasy value. I think he will be able to be used as a DE or LB if the reports of him playing opposite Floyd are true. Being that he was drafted as a DE, I think that designation will stay for the season. 

It depends what site you're using. Yahoo? He'll keep de status as they never change anything. Some other sites might change him to lb only. Maybe they'd leave it because it's so close to the start of the season, but I'd be nervous. Lb status only would decimate his value.