cltubbs

Nathaniel Lowe - 1b TB

Last summer I rated Peter Alonso and Nathaniel Lowe pretty similarly. In a Baseball America mailbag, J.J. Cooper said it was close, but that he preferred Lowe. 

That's why I love Lowe. Alonso might be better and he's certainly legit but his price tag in drafts/auctions has been so much more exorbitant from what one can get Lowe for. 

I'm not sure he has much left to prove in the minors.  I hope this kid gets a chance soon.  Choi's not really getting the job done and shouldn't be much of a roadblock for him.

4 minutes ago, Dahk said:

I'm not sure he has much left to prove in the minors.  I hope this kid gets a chance soon.  Choi's not really getting the job done and shouldn't be much of a roadblock for him.

Are you a Nathaniel Lowe owner ?

49 minutes ago, Topgun said:

Are you a Nathaniel Lowe owner ?

I own both Lowe and Choi in a deep keeper league, yes.  

19 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

When is this behemoth making landfall? 

When he does get the call, will he slide in as an everyday 1B or be platooned?

8 minutes ago, smeeze said:

When he does get the call, will he slide in as an everyday 1B or be platooned?

do you actually think anyone can answer that question?

1 minute ago, jb_power said:

do you actually think anyone can answer that question?

Someone more familiar with the Rays organization probably has more insight on his L/R splits than myself...

10 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Someone more familiar with the Rays organization probably has more insight on his L/R splits than myself...

I'm not familiar with the organization but his MiLB splits don't indicate anything that would warrant a platoon.  He's hit both righties and lefties.

• Like 1

Just now, Dahk said:

I'm not familiar with the organization but his MiLB splits don't indicate anything that would warrant a platoon.  He's hit both righties and lefties.

Thanks, I should have been more direct with my question. 

Yeah same thing (regarding splits) can be applied to Brandon Lowe--he's hit lefties quite well up through minors...but this is the Rays, they use platoons more than most teams. With the presence of Yandy, I anticipate that Nate may be often shielded versus lefties.

Wishful thinking, but is there any way the Wendle injury opens up a path for Lowe? With the Yanks crippled by injuries and the BoSox still struggling, Tampa really has an opportunity to build a big lead in the division.  I pulled this from a blurb at CBS:

"Through the first month of the minor-league season, Lowe has validated his status as one of the top prospects in a farm system teeming with high-end talent. The first baseman is slashing .308/.446/.596 across 65 plate appearances while posting identical strikeout and walk rates (18.8 percent). According to Baseball America, one scout who viewed Lowe on Sunday declared him major-league ready. "

• Like 2

Good thought---sure would make sense.

Durham is supposed to play at 7 tonight; if Lowe isn't in their lineup I'd think hard about a pre-emptive pickup in leagues where available.

After struggling last year in AAA seems this go around his stats are normalizing to what he was doing in high A and AA

K% 19.7

BB% 18.3

Hitting 309

I think he is 100% getting called up at some point this season

and Wendle injury definitely accelerates the timeline IMO even if its slight

Cant edit my other post now but wanted to lay this out there

OF - Pham - KK - Meadows (once back)

2B: Brandon Lowe (wendle gonna miss a lot of time)

3B: the Yandy man

SS: Adames

now then here is where it gets interesting

the 1B/DH spots we have Choi - Garcia pretty much, as Daniel freaking Robertson shouldnt be a factor as anything more than a versatile bench guy and should not be starting except for rest days for other guys ( i dislike him starting so much recently if you couldnt tell) and Matt Duffy is made of paper so i dont think he ever becomes a factor in this

thats legit only 9 Bats to play everyday and Choi and Garcia are not everyday bats and we all know the Rays love platooning plus the needed rest days for guys

ATM roberston is pretty much it (except that Heredia fellow) hitting a blazing 180.......sigh and hes been starting regularly ugh

Nate Lowe could come in real handy for the Rays REAL quick 👀

I do not see many obstacles once the Rays deem him necessary 

• Like 1

what are the thoughts on his projections?

i'm only scouting the stats, but would something along the lines of .260/.340 28HR be close?

some combination of 2017-2018 justin smoak?

Posted (edited)

In tonight's lineup for Durham---though at DH rather than 1B---and struck out in his first at-bat.

Edited by Whizzinator

3 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

In tonight's lineup for Durham---though at DH rather than 1B---and struck out in his first at-bat.

Really?

Christian Arroyo called up instead. RIP the dream.

@kmoore1521 convinced me that the timeline has been shortened. The Rays have precious little depth and could use a bat like Lowe's. 

Arroyo makes sense as a direct Wendle replacement, but the fact remains that their lineup took a bit of a hit with the loss of Wendle. How long are they willing to wait to call in reinforcements?

• Like 1

3 for 3 with a double, 2 walks, 2 RBI and 1 R.  Slash line up to .328/.462/.607 with a 15/16 BB/K ratio.  Get him up!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Dahk said:

3 for 3 with a double, 2 walks, 2 RBI and 1 R.  Slash line up to .328/.462/.607 with a 15/16 BB/K ratio.  Get him up!

Time to stash at least i am F it haha

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, heyeaglefn said:

Rays promoted him per Real Ken.  

Yes sir!