Sign in to follow this  
seanismorris

Curtis Samuel 2018 Outlook

Samuel is on Rotoworld’s Deep Sleepers list.  I remember watching him last year, and thinking “This kid has skills”.  Unfortunately Cam isn’t a very good passer and set up Samuel to take some brutal hits, so it was no surprise Samuel got injured.

Maybe better chemistry between Samuel and Cam can result in a breakout...

Anyone else keeping an eye on Samuel?  

(Quote)

Carolina Panthers - Curtis Samuel, WR

The addition of D.J. Moore should have little effect on Samuel, who was always slated to play a utility slot WR/RB role for the Panthers. An 88th-percentile SPARQ athlete who ran a jaw-dropping 4.31 40-yard dash at the combine last season, Samuel averaged a 65.1% snap rate, six targets, and a 4-34 receiving line in the two games he played following Kelvin Benjamin’s departure.

Kid can't seem to stay healthy.  I will probably look elsewhere.

He's got talent, but Cam and slot guys haven't really hooked up well, ever I don't think.   Underneath stuff likely goes to McCaffrey and Olsen.    I'd love to see Samuel on a different team, but it might take a couple more years to see it.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Kid can't seem to stay healthy.  I will probably look elsewhere.

That’s the story for 2017.

Cam needs to be able to hit Samuel in space, or on the move, for him to breakout.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BrianM said:

He's got talent, but Cam and slot guys haven't really hooked up well, ever I don't think.   Underneath stuff likely goes to McCaffrey and Olsen.    I'd love to see Samuel on a different team, but it might take a couple more years to see it.

I agree.

Looking at the film makes me wonder how Cam is an NFL QB.  Brees (for example) would make Samuel a superstar...

There’s hope, but damn Cam needs to be better.  Every WR he plays with gets injured...

Edited by seanismorris

He had a great camp. Seemed to build his frame a bit. Better route runner. Nothing but praise this off season. 

He could evolve into a nice little fantasy asset. High scoring opportunities in that division and Funchess will face Lattimore and Trufant. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/watch-panthers-wr-curtis-samuel-shares-preseason-highlight-reel/

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/09/very-deep-sleeper-curtis-samuel-2018-fantasy-football/

Carolina message board thread talking about him

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/151020-curtis-should-be-no-2-wr/?tab=comments#comment-4583763

Posted (edited)

Looks like he's back after having a 'minor' procedure to correct his irregular heartbeat. He says he feels faster than before, despite him already having a very good preseason. 

I like his prospects. Last season he was starting, I believe, the game after they traded Benjamin. He had 7 targets and got hurt mid-game. He would miss the rest of the season. 

He has 4.3 speed, so could be replace that deep threat Cam used to have in Ginn. Also, he is a converted RB, so could see some creativity out of the backfield; having Cam, CMC and Samuel could be interesting. 

Just someone who is returning that I am watching closely.

Edited by NJLionsFan
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 2:20 PM, seanismorris said:

Skip to 40s in to see Samuel in action... and taking some brutal hits.

He just doesn’t have the stop and go speed Id like to see for fantasy purposes. Looks like he has a hard time slowing himself down or doing anything shifty. Don’t doubt his ability to jet down the sideline though

I didn't even realize he was active.

Good for him getting back into it.  Had a bad injury last year, and then with the heart thing I thought he'd be out longer.

Anybody in 12+ team leagues that has a spot on their bench needs to pick this dude up. His time is coming, Panther fans are very excited it has taken him a while to get going because of injury but he looked good last week against the giants.

They desperately need weapons on the outside Torrey Smith has been putrid and Funchess has proven he can’t be a #1 he is a solid #2.

• Like 1

Wow, zero chatter on this guy after a nice game? Schedule is awesome, but hard to see the usage that will make him a true asset?

Still a deep league guy to monitor.

Yeah, a lot of mouths to feed. Funchess, Olsen, and CMC are getting most of the targets, and DJ Moore is starting to get involved (despite falling flat last week).

But, I think he's certainly worth keeping an eye on. The dude is an elite athlete and can make plays no matter where he lines up.

I'm seriously contemplating starting Samuel this week over the likes of Elijah McGuire and Michael Gallup.

I need to play catch up with my opponent as I'm well down in points. The Panthers HC talked this week about trying to get the ball in his hands more, and that's really all he needs as he tends to make the most of every last rep he gets. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

I'm seriously contemplating starting Samuel this week over the likes of Elijah McGuire and Michael Gallup.

I need to play catch up with my opponent as I'm well down in points. The Panthers HC talked this week about trying to get the ball in his hands more, and that's really all he needs as he tends to make the most of every last rep he gets. 

I think McGuire's the better play since it's the bills. But I see what you're saying. 

On 9/3/2018 at 10:54 PM, Tenner said:

He had a great camp. Seemed to build his frame a bit. Better route runner. Nothing but praise this off season. 

He could evolve into a nice little fantasy asset. High scoring opportunities in that division and Funchess will face Lattimore and Trufant. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/watch-panthers-wr-curtis-samuel-shares-preseason-highlight-reel/

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/09/very-deep-sleeper-curtis-samuel-2018-fantasy-football/

Carolina message board thread talking about him

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/151020-curtis-should-be-no-2-wr/?tab=comments#comment-4583763

Lol I frequent that panthers forum

4 hours ago, rylaughlin said:

Are we positive this guy is a gadget player and not a Tyreek Hill

He’s Tyreek hill if tyreek hill saw 16 snaps a game bc his HC is a dumbass 

1 hour ago, Jags02 said:

He just needs more volume, but I think that will be hard to feed him with all the mouths that would be fed first 

PFF gave him a write up this week 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-panthers-curtis-samuel-is-finding-his-role-in-the-nfl-deserves-more-touches 

All of Samuel’s receiving yards have come on six different routes in 2018, and no more than 26.4% of his receiving yards are tied to any one specific route. This wasn’t the case in 2017, as he recorded receiving yards on just four total routes and had 36.5% of his total receiving yards come on just out routes. Route versatility is paramount in improving at the wide receiver position, and all signs point to Samuel taking the right steps. He’s also had a step or more of separation on 75.0% of his targets this season, which is tied for the ninth-highest mark among receivers with 10-plus targets on the year.

Facing an impossible match up this week, and I lost A.J Green. Thinking of going wildcard and starting him tonight. Talk me out of it lol.

7 minutes ago, SonataArctica said:

Facing an impossible match up this week, and I lost A.J Green. Thinking of going wildcard and starting him tonight. Talk me out of it lol.

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I think McGuire's the better play since it's the bills. But I see what you're saying. 

I'm nervous about that Bills game. For starters, if you take out Marlon Mack's huge game, the Bills lately have been holding most RBs in check. With McCown at QB, I'm picturing a mostly defensive grudge match. With that in mind, it's hard for me to picture McGuire scoring more than 10 to 12 points. Samuel has the potential to reach as many points with two or three touches.