PolarBear

Leonard Fournette vs Melvin Gordon Debate

6 minutes ago, candygram4mongo said:

Actually, I tend to give a bit more weight to the opinion of a fan of a particular team regarding a player on that team (especially in this forum of honesty and integrity). 

Knowledgeable fans of a team know the ins and outs of that team, they watch games start to finish, they notice when a player doesn't look right or when they improve a particular aspect of their game. 

I don't think most posters come in here and wave pom poms for their favorite players (at least when its a deep delve like this thread). There may be some fun trash talk, but generally a fan in here will honestly tell you when a player on their team  sucks or if they're someone to watch.

(Cue rebuttal posts of irrational biased opinions of derrick henry (et al) in 3.......2.......1......)

I think this is the most accurately way to deal with Fans. You just have to figure out every fan and their level of bias for their own team. Some forum members I don't know of course, but there are quite a few fans who's opinions on their teams I trust a very solid amount. 

How about Leonard Fournette vs Jordan Howard? Howard was more impressive as a rookie, IMO. He then followed that up with another good year last season. Now he's in a great situation with a better offense, and will be more involved in the passing game. Plus he's more durable than Fournette.

7 minutes ago, Blu Exile said:

How about Leonard Fournette vs Jordan Howard? Howard was more impressive as a rookie, IMO. He then followed that up with another good year last season. Now he's in a great situation with a better offense, and will be more involved in the passing game. Plus he's more durable than Fournette.

This to me is the perfect situation where you'd say "why not both?". With their current ADPs, in a 12 team league, if you're in an 8-12 draft spot then you should be able to land both. 

I really like Howard, although I'm not sure I put him over Fournette. Both will get heavy workloads, but Fournette is just a bit ahead for me due to being more of the offensive focal point in the red zone. I think if everything breaks right in Chicago you'll see Burton and Cohen involved in the red zone as well, so for me Fournette has a bit higher TD ceiling. 

I'm regards to the original question of Fournette vs Gordon, I also give Fournette the slight edge. As others have said Gordon seems slightly safer from an injury standpoint, while Fournette seems to have a better ceiling. Given that injuries are ultimately a fools errand to predict and that I usually guess wrong when I'm trying to predict it, I'll take my chances with the upside. 

As for Gordon vs Howard, that's even closer for me. I'd probably give thinnest edge to Gordon, just because he is in the same offense and all that. But it's likely a question I won't have to ask myself on draft day due to their current ADPs being fairly far apart right now (again, why not both?). 

30 minutes ago, Blu Exile said:

Yes. This type of debate thread is exactly what is needed as drafts are imminent. 

At the 1-2 turn, KHunt is the other back that is often sitting there with Fournette and Gordon.

Fournette and Gordon are so close. IMO, Fournette has a bit more upside than Gordon.

I saw the tired legs that others have mentioned Gordon showed 2-3 weeks last year. 

I feel we've pretty much seen Gordon's ceiling, while Fournette still holds the promise of a monster season.

Hunt is great too, but the 7 game TD drought and 3-4 invisible weeks of last season (that many seem to forget), along with the return of a talented and healthy Spencer Ware concern me enough to place Hunt a notch below the other two. 

JHoward at the turn seems like a reach. The offensive improvement and his increased use in the passing game are just hopes and dreams for now. 

I have them ranked Fournette>Gordon>>>>KHunt>Howard, but I'd love to read what others think.

Edited by candygram4mongo

I’m not sure if Fournette will get much more in the reception category. If he can, he’s a top 5 PPR rb. That said, in a PPR I’m taking Gordon, standard, Fournette.

3 minutes ago, Taxman said:

I’m not sure if Fournette will get much more in the reception category. If he can, he’s a top 5 PPR rb. That said, in a PPR I’m taking Gordon, standard, Fournette.

So, in .5 ppr, take Melvin Fournette or Leonard Gordon?

13 minutes ago, candygram4mongo said:

good question 

On 7/29/2018 at 10:54 PM, PolarBear said:

Throughout the pre-season, I will drop a couple of player debate topics in for us to argue for and against based on their relatively close ADP's. Starting in the back of the 1st round today!

Starting at the top of the draft you obviously can't go wrong with the big 4 and AB.  After that I think is where things get a little more cloudy.  Two young stud running backs going within 2-3 picks of each other (according to FFC) are the Chargers, Melvin Gordon and the Jags Leonard Fournette.  

Personally, I am on the Fournette wagon.  I believe he is on a better team that will be playing with the lead more and has a better O-line.  The addition of Norwell could be huge for him. Fournette is also a more talented runner in every way.  The marks against him are past injury concerns and work in the passing game however, I think he will make up for that deficit with a big year on the ground. 

Make your argument for which one should be drafted before the other!

Is this the same PB from covers?? If so I love your work!

anyway I'm picking 8th in PPR draft tonite and it's Gordon all day for me. Love his consistency and situation this year

Edited by malta69

On 7/29/2018 at 9:52 PM, RMJ_12 said:

What are you talking about?

First of all I think you mean I'm living in 2017, I would sure hope I'm living in 2018.

Second of all the Chargers lost Hunter Henry and Antonio Gates.  They added Forrest Lamp and Justin Jackson ?

The Jaguars lost Allen Hurns and Marcedes Lewis.  ?  They added Andrew Norwell, Donte Moncrief, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, and DJ Chark.  ?

How can you talk sh*t about the Jaguars QB and WR's even though as an offense the Chargers scored less points than the Jaguars in 2017?

I implied WE'RE living in 2018.  Moncrief, ASJ are total journeymen, that's funny that you think they're anything relevant.  I'd say the bolstered O-line behind Lamp will make more a difference than those scrubs.  Rivers is light years ahead of Bortles, and can make any receiver relevant.  Bortles does not have that ability.  Want to do a forum bet that the Jags offense and team will outscore the Chargers this year?  I'll gladly bet against that.

1 hour ago, candygram4mongo said:

That’s a bit tougher. Last year, if my math is correct, Gordon was around 260 in 1/2 PPR while Fournette was 210. Extrapolate Fournette’s stats to a full 16 games, he missed a few, and you have 260. I’d go with the guy you think stays healthy, though for arguments sake, let’s say they both do. Fournette should be better, even if by a little, this year. He has the chance to do as well if not better than Gordon this year. 

With an improved offensive line, addition of Moncrief and Austin Seferian-Jenkins, emergence of Westbrook and Lee, and Fournette dropping 15 lbs, I'm all in on Fournette, especially over Gordon.

Gordon is 1 Keenan Allen injury away from being the only offensive weapon on LAC, which isn't a good thing considering he's never run for more than 4.0 YPC in his career.

I think both are safe picks, I think Fournette just has greater upside.

I think Fournette has legit 1,200 / 12 TD potential rushing wise, and 400 / 2-3 TD potential through the air.

Gordon, will be 1,000 / 7-10 TD rushing, and probably around the same as Fournette receiving.

2 hours ago, Taxman said:

Receiving Ave. 2017

Fournette: 8.4

Gordon: 8.2

Howard: 5.4

One of these guys doesn’t belong.  Can you pick which one?

Fournette vs. Gordon is interesting.  I’ll go with Fournette because he’s a more talented runner.  Both are “complete” backs, so picking one is personal preference.  The injury risk is roughly equal, but Fournette has played through injuries, so Fournette by a hair.

Both are great 1st round selections in fantasy.  Howard is one of the best pure rushers, but I play PPR so he’s in the next tier.

1 hour ago, kdko said:

I implied WE'RE living in 2018.  Moncrief, ASJ are total journeymen, that's funny that you think they're anything relevant.  I'd say the bolstered O-line behind Lamp will make more a difference than those scrubs.  Rivers is light years ahead of Bortles, and can make any receiver relevant.  Bortles does not have that ability.  Want to do a forum bet that the Jags offense and team will outscore the Chargers this year?  I'll gladly bet against that.

Why would I do that?  I already mentioned the Chargers offense was better.  I said that you were wrong that the Chargers offense was "a hell of a lot better".  I'll gladly bet you that Fournette is better than Gordon though.

1 hour ago, kdko said:

I'd say the bolstered O-line behind Lamp will make more a difference than those scrubs.

Yeah I'm sure the 2nd year OL that hasn't played a snap yet will make more of an impact than pro bowler Andrew Norwell.

16 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Why would I do that?  I already mentioned the Chargers offense was better.  I said that you were wrong that the Chargers offense was "a hell of a lot better".  I'll gladly bet you that Fournette is better than Gordon though.

Fair enough, my B.  I missed that point, or that post somewhere.  Hmm...that's a tough bet.  I actually have Fournette above Gordon myself.  PPR or standard?

7 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Fournette got hurt twice in 3 years of college and once in his rookie season.

The comment you replied to mentioned how Gordon missed 2 games as a rookie and 3 games in 2016.  What's the difference?

Gordon isn't questionable every week with the same ankle injury 

On 7/30/2018 at 12:17 AM, RMJ_12 said:

It's not though.

Jaguars offense - 26.1 ppg, 365.9 ypg 

Chargers offense - 22.2 ppg, 376.6 ypg 

Does this account for the points scored by the Jags D last year?