Sign in to follow this  
Jimmymckrack

Tyler White 2018 Outlook

No thread on this guy?!? Called up after altuve hit the DL. He crushed triple A with a 333 444 569 slashline this year while owning a 14% walk rate 12% strikeout rate. 3 for 3 last night, and getting an extended look... I’m intrigued

meh I think his career numbers in the majors speak to what his true talent level is at this point.

This guy seems to be getting good contact, consistently hitting. I'm considering using him for a bit to see if he sticks.

The way Yuli Gurriel's hitting has crashed and burned of late, I could see White taking over 1B for most of the starts even after Altuve returns and Yuli is done filling in at 2B.

White is an underrated prospect.  I believe he had a swing change that unlocked power.  Probably should be playing over Yuli even when Yuli is at his best.

• Like 1

In 11 games since his call up on 7/29, White is batting .342 with 3 HRs 7 runs 8 RBIs in 38 ABs. Post hype guy for sure, worth a shot in deeper leagues.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2018 at 8:44 PM, Osu1456 said:

meh I think his career numbers in the majors speak to what his true talent level is at this point.

130~ or so games is not enough to get a sense of true talent level.  Especially when his last 50 have gone so much different (better) than his first season.

Edited by sportsfreak2744

On 8/13/2018 at 9:29 AM, sportsfreak2744 said:

130~ or so games is not enough to get a sense of true talent level.  Especially when his last 50 have gone so much different (better) than his first season.

Actually it is a good indication that something has changed as in his swing or whatever.  Prospects are growing and learning and changing and not set in stone from year to year so going back even one year with a prospect doesn't tell you all that much. 

And you don't wait forever to pick up someone like him.  You grab and hold.  If he collapses you drop him.  If he hits you have the next big thing.  Fantasy baseball really REALLY isn't rocket science.  There are just some owners that want to believe it is.  (Not saying you at all, that was a "some in general" comment).

• Like 2

At this point in the season if you have roster space you take a flier on any prospect (even if he is a bit older) that starts to show some bop in his bat. He slugged .525 in his 20 game stint last year and is carrying it over to this year as well (and then some). His swinging strike % is pretty damn low and his contact rates look really good, so I'd expect that K% to drop some and he's walking a lot which is a great combo. Just snagged him. Ride the hot streak and if it turns into more then it's just extra gravy.

• Like 1

This guy can hit. Always could hit in the minors, just needed a swing tweak to tap power in the bigs. 

If he wasn't fat and looked funny at the plate, he would have had more hype a long time ago. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2018 at 4:42 PM, dod959 said:

This guy can hit. Always could hit in the minors, just needed a swing tweak to tap power in the bigs. 

If he wasn't fat and looked funny at the plate, he would have had more hype a long time ago. 

If this fat, frumpy fellow keeps on hitting I wonder if maybe they kick Yuli to the curb...

• Haha 1

“He’s forced his way into this,” manager A.J. Hinch said. “When you draw up how the lineup is going to shake out and someone surprises you and pushes their way into the middle of the order. He’s been really good with his quality of at-bats, the production has been there and that’s why he’s getting to play.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Balls-Strikes-Tyler-White-stock-climbs-Astros-13175895.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Caelum said:

“He’s forced his way into this,” manager A.J. Hinch said. “When you draw up how the lineup is going to shake out and someone surprises you and pushes their way into the middle of the order. He’s been really good with his quality of at-bats, the production has been there and that’s why he’s getting to play.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Balls-Strikes-Tyler-White-stock-climbs-Astros-13175895.php

I just had Abreu go down, pick White up and he delivers with a HR. woohoo

2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

What is Gattis contact situation, possible White is their DH next year?

Gattis and Marwin are both UFAs. I know the Astros were moving White around the diamond in AAA. He even played SS down there. They might see him as a Marwin replacement. Or at the very least, he can replace Gattis. 

Probably Kemp replaces Marwin and White replaces Gattis. That would make sense. 

• Like 2

On 8/23/2018 at 8:12 AM, murraygd13 said:

What is Gattis contact situation, possible White is their DH next year?

This dude is just raking the ball.   He's now their 4 hitter and should be at the moment.

100% he should take over for Gattis as DH next year.

Aj hinch was the guest on power alley. They asked him about whites playing time.  He said he expects gurriel to get a majority of the available at bats.

9 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Aj hinch was the guest on power alley. They asked him about whites playing time.  He said he expects gurriel to get a majority of the available at bats.

It certainly hasn't seemed that way.  white has only missed 2 game of the past 12.

Guy is an absolute baller.  He is going to force their hand.  Yuli can play multiple positions.  They will find ABs for him.

59 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

This is the same guy that said Osuna would be getting the majority of save opps and then the next one went to Rondon?

He expects Yuli to get a majority of available ABs, but lets not forget White will also take Gattis out of the lineup at DH at times as well.

Good on White, has basically made prospect JD Davis irrelevant (oh yea, Davis' terrible MLB numbers don't help either).